Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-17-2018, 01:29 AM   #1
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
Yotaphone 3+, the international edition of Yotaphone 3

According to these links, Yotaphone 3+ has almost the same hardware as Yotaphone 3, but it can freely screen any app on the Eink screen instead of forcing you to use their build-in apps like Yotaphone 3. The Android version is 8.1 Oreo.

https://qooah.com/2018/08/08/yota-3-plus-in-hk/ (sorry it's not in English)
https://1review2day.com/new-model-yo...us-introduced/

I also saw a reply from the Yotaphone company (Chinese) on Reddit. The Yotaphone guy says Yotaphone 3+ will be distributed from a Hong Kong company. They're currently looking for more distributors.

https://www.reddit.com/r/YotaPhone/c...n_information/
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:25 AM   #2
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
What's surprising to me is that the Yotaphone 2 could install Google apps and mirror the screen to the e-ink screen.

Fact: Amazon owns (or did a few months ago when I last checked) the patent for this technology.
My theory: this prevented Yota from selling the Yotaphone 3 worldwide. So while developing the Yota 3, they started discussions with Amazon. In the meantime they started selling the crippled Yota 3 in China, to generate some cash flow and keep the competition (Hisense A2) from taking their market. They must have reached an agreement with Amazon recently, so they are releasing their full-function model worldwide.

Mind you, this is pure speculation - if anyone knows the facts, please share.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:58 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Fact: Amazon owns (or did a few months ago when I last checked) the patent for this technology.
I have heard about this too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
My theory: this prevented Yota from selling the Yotaphone 3 worldwide.
That did not prevent them from selling YotaPhone 2.
YotaPhone 2 came with 4.something version of Android and I have upgraded it to 5.0
There is also update to 6.0 available for Russian version (that can be installed, after some finagling, to the Chinese and International one) but I am not interested in installing that.
YotaPhone 2 has Google Play and has the "mirror the screen to the back" functionality.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:12 AM   #4
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
(A bit off topic, but: )

"What's surprising to me is that the Yotaphone 2 could install Google apps and mirror the screen to the e-ink screen. Fact: Amazon owns (or did a few months ago when I last checked) the patent for this technology"

Now, that is interesting.

I was looking at the first reviews of the Lenovo Yoga Book c930 and found a notice by someone mentioning that "it didn't have Drag & Drop from screen to screen" and asked myself why this has not really been implemented anywhere since the browser that came with the enTourage eDGe. That at least could take a website shown on the LCD-side and transfer it to PDF or epub on the eInk-display.

Last edited by beachwanderer; 09-21-2018 at 06:14 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:30 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
One of the articles suggests that the "64GB version is about HK$2,400,128GB for about HK$2,800"

That's about £240/£280 or US$310/US$360.

Adding on VAT for the UK, that would be about £290 for the 64GB version. I'd be tempted.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:56 AM   #6
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
This is my next phone!! ��

But I will wait a little because I want them to improve a little the firmware and that stuff, but surely in one month or maximum two it will be mine!

Also in XDA there is a specific forum. For those who have the chinese version there is an improved ROM and some tricks on how to improve the capabilities of the EPD screen

Last edited by eReader fan; 09-23-2018 at 07:58 AM.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
I may have the versions wrong, but I think I saw a video where there is a hack to mirror on the original yotaphone 3. It’s a few additional steps each time but possible.

Saw it selling for a reasonable sub-£300 price on Aliexpress, also very tempted.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #8
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Waiting4something, what you talk about is not exactly a hack. You have to enter a code in the phone and you enter in a developer menu where you can make the mirror possi le. On the forum of XDA there is explained a way to do it in just one or two clicks.

Anyway, for those who doesnt have the yotaphone yet, just need to wait until the new version will be released and it seems everything is going to be easy. Lets see....
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:05 AM   #9
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

By the way, Hisense A6 is going to release in the next month in China. I
Old 09-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #10
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Good specs.

I'm tempted to get the original yotaphone 3 though. It's already a reasonable price, and the new one will be expensive. How long until the price comes down I don't know; also, would the original lose its value as a result? (Therefore even more attractive financially). I suppose not.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:10 PM   #11
JS_F
Connoisseur

I saw a Yota 3+ purchase website: https://yotaeshop.shoplineapp.com

Last edited by JS_F; 11-06-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:55 AM   #12
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
i guess we are all waiting for the first one daring to take it and write about
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #13
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
i guess we are all waiting for the first one daring to take it and write about
Yes me too. I am always waiting for eink developments and user reviews.

Yota 2 is still the best eink device I've encountered, unfortunately let down by the screen lines fault.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:53 AM   #14
JS_F
Connoisseur

People're collaborating on the ROM extraction for Yota 3+ on XDA.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/yot...-news-t3862999
Old 01-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #15
vermeer82
vermeer82 began at the beginning.

Device: Yotaphone 2 and 3+, Onyx Boox Max2 and Note, Paperlike Pro
I received my Yotaphone 3+ and I am very disappointed as I have not yet found a real "mirror mode". I want to always look at the eink screen and never at the regular screen. This was possible on my Yotaphone 2.
I have contacted the tech support about it.
The hack mentioned here https://www.reddit.com/r/YotaPhone/c...de_on_chinese/ for the 3 seems to no longer work on the 3+.
I can send any app to the eink screen, but I need to look at the regular screen every time, it is out of question for me as regular screens give me debilitating headaches.
Any idea? :-/
vermeer82 is offline   Reply With Quote