Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Android Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-02-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Unhappy Previous Kindle for Android versions

It seems like every time there is an "upgrade" available for the Kindle app, it makes it slower and slower. Not for page to page operation, but to start up or to awaken from sleep mode.

By going back to the version that was on my tablet when I got it, I was able to make it a little bit better, but it doesn't have different fonts or any of the other features that I've become used to.

On this device, I'm running 4.2.0.54 on Android 4.2.2.

I know there are previous versions of all the Kindle devices available. Are there earlier versions of the Kindle app available somewhere?

Thanks for your help.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I don't have an answer for your question, but I have a question back for you.

Does your old version of Kindle for Android still connect to Amazon and can you use it to download books from your Amazon account?

You may have heard that Kindle for PC and Kindle for Mac were recently updated to use the new KFX book format. Older versions of these programs still work for now, but Amazon has a history of eventually blocking older versions from being able to download books.

I am wondering if the same is true of old Kindle for Android versions.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:21 AM   #3
mojo4321
mojo4321 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2
Sorry, posted in the wrong thread.

Last edited by mojo4321; 02-03-2017 at 12:28 AM.
mojo4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I don't have an answer for your question, but I have a question back for you.

Does your old version of Kindle for Android still connect to Amazon and can you use it to download books from your Amazon account?

You may have heard that Kindle for PC and Kindle for Mac were recently updated to use the new KFX book format. Older versions of these programs still work for now, but Amazon has a history of eventually blocking older versions from being able to download books.

I am wondering if the same is true of old Kindle for Android versions.
Sorry for the delay, but... Even sorrier that I don't have an answer at this time. I usually sideload everything so I've not had the opportunity to check. I'll give it a try and get back to you.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
I'll give it a try and get back to you.
Thanks.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #6
SampleAndy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Thanks.
(sigh)

I started to answer you earlier, but was shutdown by time. ANYway, I was able to download an item from my library and purchase a new one from the store, so I'm guessing that the Android Kindles have no restrictions on them.

Of course, as always, your mileage may vary.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the info. Might come in handy some day.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:09 PM   #8
SampleAndy
Addict

Just in case someone else has this situation, I've had some success from this site:
https://kindle.en.uptodown.com/android/old

I'm currently running 4.5.0.123 and while it isn't perfect, it's a lot better than the current version.

Of course, YMMV.