Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
SD Micro Card

So I am THINKING about adding the SD Micro Card. Most likely the 16 gb version.

I want to use the card to store ALL my ebooks. Then read them or add them to my library when I want to. Instead of side loading the books all the time. Is that Possible?

I know it sounds retarded, I TRY to keep my library down to just a couple of pages so I dont have play hunt and search for the next ebook. I know. I am kinda strange that way.

Second question, can I delete the book from the nook library without hooking it to my computer? If so how do I do that? Thanks in advance.

I have the new nook simple touch.
tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Mellobob
Connoisseur
Mellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Any micro SD card will work. I've got a 16gb in mine and there is a LOT of storage there. I keep all my books on the card. Got about 500+ and it's using something like 2% of the storage.

I use Calibre to maintain the collection. Books are put on the card in directories (folders) by author. If you view by folder view (or whatever nook calls it), you just go to the author and open that, and then select a book. Pretty easy.

I think one could modify this by creating genre folders (mystery, romance, etc) and move authors into these.

Forget about using the nook shelf system to do this.

You can NOT delete books you sideloaded from the nook. Only from the computer.

Hope this helps.
Mellobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I've got a 32gig, and thousands of files, but lately the Nook has been 'losing' the microSD card. One minute it'll be there, then the next it's not. Sometimes rebooting will get it to recognize the card, other times not.

Twice I've had the Nook tell me the SD card is corrupt, but then it can't format it. So I've taken it out and formatted it on my computer, reinstalled it and then formatted it through the Nook.

Then reload it, only to have it happen again a few days later.

I'm trying to figure out what triggers the problem, but don't have a clue so far. This is a high speed card, and loads quickly. So lag time shouldn't be the problem but I think it happens first when I connect to my computer and it starts loading and unloading the Nooks main drive and then the SD card. After that, the Nook can't see it either.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I've got a 32gig, and thousands of files, but lately the Nook has been 'losing' the microSD card. One minute it'll be there, then the next it's not. Sometimes rebooting will get it to recognize the card, other times not.

Twice I've had the Nook tell me the SD card is corrupt, but then it can't format it. So I've taken it out and formatted it on my computer, reinstalled it and then formatted it through the Nook.

Then reload it, only to have it happen again a few days later.

I'm trying to figure out what triggers the problem, but don't have a clue so far. This is a high speed card, and loads quickly. So lag time shouldn't be the problem but I think it happens first when I connect to my computer and it starts loading and unloading the Nooks main drive and then the SD card. After that, the Nook can't see it either.
Make sure you are properly "ejecting" the card before you disconnect it from your PC. Failure to do that can easily corrupt an SD card or USB Drive.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
Make sure you are properly "ejecting" the card before you disconnect it from your PC. Failure to do that can easily corrupt an SD card or USB Drive.
Yes, I'm careful to eject the device from Calibre, then check to make sure it's still not listed under Windows as still being a hard drive before I unplug.

I've also remembered to go in and have my anti-virus not scan the reader and card drives. Just in case that was mucking things up in the background.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
don't bother with a card larger than 4gb - there's no way the limited 'droid system can index and you can navigate such a large number of books - even with workaround folder machinations, etc.

for cryin' out loud, folks, recognize the limitations of this ereader - it's a great device, yes, but it's not a high-speed 'puter with gigabytes of RAM and a decent OS...
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
don't bother with a card larger than 4gb - there's no way the limited 'droid system can index and you can navigate such a large number of books - even with workaround folder machinations, etc.

for cryin' out loud, folks, recognize the limitations of this ereader - it's a great device, yes, but it's not a high-speed 'puter with gigabytes of RAM and a decent OS...
It's an eInk reader...
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:

And how do you think newbies are supposed to 'recognize' something they have no knowlege of?

You assume that we all have some kind of background that'll 'clue' us in?

Seriously, if any ebook reader says they can handle a 32gig card, (and there's more than one that claims that) then they darn well should be able to handle the amount of books 32gigs can hold. If not, then they should downsize people's expectations by advertising the limit as 4gig or give a limit to the total number loaded. Both I can live with, and use to compare devices in a realistic manner.

I expect to get the performance advertised that I paid for. I shouldn't have to be a programmer to figure it out.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
it's a great device, yes, but it's not a high-speed 'puter with gigabytes of RAM and a decent OS...
The processor is clocked 50 times faster than my first PC, so indexing a few thousand files shouldn't over tax it.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote