Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-01-2015, 11:03 PM   #16
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I have a first generation Kindle Fire, any idea how the weight compares? The first gen didn't have text to speech, but it was added for later versions, does anyone know if this has it?
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:56 AM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I have a first generation Kindle Fire, any idea how the weight compares? The first gen didn't have text to speech, but it was added for later versions, does anyone know if this has it?
All Fire tablets since first generation have TTS.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2015, 02:58 AM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So have you 'In Hand' folks found Mayday on there yet? Note that it might be buried somewhere in Help screen, rather than in notification tray as before. It won't do video popup, just voice and screen share.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #19
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
No mayday. I searched from the home screen and it didn't come up. I wouldn't expect on demand human support on a $50 device.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #20
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
No mayday. I searched from the home screen and it didn't come up. I wouldn't expect on demand human support on a $50 device.
It says it has it right here:
http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Display-W.../dp/B00TSUGXKE

Quote:
On-device Mayday Screen Sharing +
email, web, and phone
So either you or Amazon are mistaken, and if it's them, it's going to cost them....

And they always have on-demand support for all their devices, you just need to call or push a button the web site, so putting a button on the device itself hardly seems out of the question.

Last edited by ApK; 10-02-2015 at 10:09 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #21
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, I hear you. Either my tablet has it and I'm just too blind to see it, or they intended to ship the feature and didn't.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #22
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Oh, and about the "up to 7 hours video" - I'm using 25% of the battery to stream a one hour Game of Thrones episode. I suppose if you dim the screen way down, and have the movie local so you can turn off wifi....you might get that much use out of a charge.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #23
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
And they always have on-demand support for all their devices, you just need to call or push a button the web site, so putting a button on the device itself hardly seems out of the question.
No they don't, it was only the HDXs that had Mayday.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #24
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
No they don't, it was only the HDXs that had Mayday.
I'm referring to Amazon's 24 hour customer service, which you can call for help on any Amazon product, and which can also be reached by clicking the "call me" button on Amazon's site.

I don't know if the representatives on Mayday are especially more knowledgeable (re:expensive) than the reps you're likely to get on the phone (once you're transferred to the right department) but taking advantage of the hardware already in the tablet to make the connection easier and make the assistance more efficient, while very nice for the customer, doesn't seem to require a huge investment on Amazon's part, relegating it to only premium devices.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if, with it's efficiency gains on both ends, Mayday was cheaper for Amazon to offer than their usual phone support.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #25
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm referring to Amazon's 24 hour customer service, which you can call for help on any Amazon product, and which can also be reached by clicking the "call me" button on Amazon's site.

I don't know if the representatives on Mayday are especially more knowledgeable (re:expensive) than the reps you're likely to get on the phone (once you're transferred to the right department) but taking advantage of the hardware already in the tablet to make the connection easier and make the assistance more efficient, while very nice for the customer, doesn't seem to require a huge investment on Amazon's part, relegating it to only premium devices.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if, with it's efficiency gains on both ends, Mayday was cheaper for Amazon to offer than their usual phone support.

ApK
Since having the HDXs I have always used Mayday. I've found the level of support, knowledge and general understanding and helpfulness much better than regular kindle support.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

They may have fudged on what Mayday means. It may mean that once you contact Customer Support, they're able to take control of your screen and walk you through something you are having trouble with.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #27
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Since having the HDXs I have always used Mayday. I've found the level of support, knowledge and general understanding and helpfulness much better than regular kindle support.
It would be nice. I guess I didn't expect it on the $50 device. But it does show it on that one page that was linked in this thread.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Who's more smarter -- an Amazon Mayday or an Apple Genius?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #29
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Who's more smarter -- an Amazon Mayday or an Apple Genius?
Apple Genius
Old 10-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Apple Genius
...that's not the answer I was expecting
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote