Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
afigen
afigen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle doesn't show the books on Calibre

I have been using my Kindle Touch along with Calibre for some time now. I use calibre to convert books from epub to mobi, transfer books to the device, etc.

Today my Kindle froze as it does occasionally, so I restarted it and noticed that my device items were gone. So I connected the kindle to my pc. Calibre correctly shows the list of books that are on the device (Kindle) and Kindle/Documents on my desktop also shows the list of books, etc. However when I disconnect the Kindle to see the content I have nothing except the books purchased from the Amazon and those are in the Cloud file. Zero books in the device file.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Alp
afigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by afigen View Post
I have been using my Kindle Touch along with Calibre for some time now. I use calibre to convert books from epub to mobi, transfer books to the device, etc.

Today my Kindle froze as it does occasionally, so I restarted it and noticed that my device items were gone. So I connected the kindle to my pc. Calibre correctly shows the list of books that are on the device (Kindle) and Kindle/Documents on my desktop also shows the list of books, etc. However when I disconnect the Kindle to see the content I have nothing except the books purchased from the Amazon and those are in the Cloud file. Zero books in the device file.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Alp
Calibre leaves a file on your device, metadata.calibre that has a list of last known books.

Depending on your settings:
Preferences:Sending books to device:Metadata management
or
Device Preference setting for 'Read metadata from files on device',

this may not let the list get updated
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Most likely your Kindle's book index was corrupted, hopefully it will rebuild it by itself (give it some time) otherwise you might have to do a hard reset and reload all your books.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
afigen

Thanks. I have no problem with adding books from calibre library to the device (Kindle) as I see it in the Kindle properties when it is connected via USB to my mac. The problem is there is nothing on the Kindle display. So I removed the books from my device via calibre. When I did that Kindle's documents folder on my desktop emptied except for dictionaries.

Then I first added 3 books via calibre to the Kindle, disconnected and checked and those 3 books were added to Kindle. Thinking that I solved the problem I added approx. 30 more books from my calibre library. Checked again all books were gone and there was one book available under "Docs".

There is definitely a bug or a corruption in Kindle. Should I wait for a day or so and try again or just hard reset?
Old 01-12-2015, 10:21 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you deleted the files already, you might as well hard reset.
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 10:23 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Another thing that I have known to happen with Kindle's is if there is a mobi file whose metadata causes the kindle indexer to crash, the kindle refuses to index any files after that file.

In such cases your best best is to do a mobi to mobi conversion in calibre before sending, though identifying the problem book is a pain as the kindle does not give any diagnostic info when the indexer crashes.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:18 AM   #7
afigen

Thanks a lot. I think that's probably the problem. Although I have not identified the corrupted book/(s), I have about half a dozen books sent to kindle without problems. I will live with that for a while, I guess.