Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The color layer actually decreases the contrast. I don't think Amazon would be stupid enough to go color eink when it's known to be poor and not work well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
If WW3 starts tonight, an e-book reader is what I personally worry about least (SCNR)
Gas masks, dosimeters, guns and ammo, and first aid kit. A Kindle full of survival handbooks and a solar charger would be handy as well... And night vision and thermal imaging equipment too, of course.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Decided against the PW and for now keeping my K3. What I would like on the PW2 is:

- A nice even screen without the pink and green blotches which I can clearly see in many of the pictures posted
Don't let the pics posted keep you from getting one. My PW has none of those issues. It seems the 503 batch has better quality control. I almost did let the pics here keep me from getting one and I would of missed out on the best eReader I've own to date. I own 5 Kindles now and I can't see myself using any but the PW and KF now.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I still want page turn buttons (yes the touch is responsive, but nothing for me beats page turn buttons at the side like the Kindle Keyboard) but am happy for colour to stay in the realm of tablets. I don't use the full storage myself, but can appreciate why, if there is no external SD card, they shouldn't restrict the capacity just so people rely on their cloud storage.

If the next generation of PW doesn't include page turn buttons, as much as I'd prefer to stick with a Kindle, if Sony or Kobo were to introduce them I'd probably jump ship. If no one bothers with them, I'll be holding onto my Kindle Keyboard for as long as possible.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Don't let the pics posted keep you from getting one. My PW has none of those issues. It seems the 503 batch has better quality control. I almost did let the pics here keep me from getting one and I would of missed out on the best eReader I've own to date. I own 5 Kindles now and I can't see myself using any but the PW and KF now.
I know, saw your thread but I still think it's pot luck whether you end up with a good one or not. Waiting to see what the next one is like. Given that I'm really annoyed with the reduced storage on all the newer models (that £109 I'm not spending on a PW can buy me a lot of books!) and that the K3 still suits me fine, I'm not going to force myself to upgrade now

Last edited by Yolina; 01-04-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #21
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Just saw this article about Amazon expanding their Kindle R&D division. I'd suggest they work on QC too because the PW seems to be a tad inconsistent...
Okay, I went to the article and I still don't know what R & D is....

Last edited by pendragginp; 01-04-2013 at 07:36 PM.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #22
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Okay, I went to the article and I still don't know what R & D is....
It says so right in the first sentence:
Quote:
Lab126, the Amazon division responsible for research and development of the Kindle line...
R & D is simply the short form of that. But then, of course, the article doesn't say what exactly they are researching ...
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #23
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Gas masks, dosimeters, guns and ammo, and first aid kit. A Kindle full of survival handbooks and a solar charger would be handy as well... And night vision and thermal imaging equipment too, of course.
We are prepared...

Spoiler:

Anyway, things I'd like on a Paperwhite II: 8 GB storage, Epub support, automatic light dimming, and the ability to get rid of everything your girlgriend could use to spy after you (like this "My Clippings" file which is nice, but would be even nicer if I could disable if for some hours or days).. Then they'll have me back as a customer.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #24
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
If WW3 starts, an ebook reader is exactly what I would worry about first (well, other than food). After all, what else are you going to do down in your bomb shelter other than read?
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #25
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
If WW3 starts, an ebook reader is exactly what I would worry about first (well, other than food). After all, what else are you going to do down in your bomb shelter other than read?
Monitor the surveillance network. Keep tabs on the automated defenses. Restock the landmines and the ammo in the turrets. Scope out hot chicks who have run out of food. "Hey, baby! Want a candy bar? Come inside. Remove any weapons before stepping in front of the sensors."

I want my stuff in multiple places that are all under my control. One copy on the device or a microSD card. One copy on the computer. One or two backups. Clouds are unstable and prone to leaks.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #26
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Monitor the surveillance network. Keep tabs on the automated defenses. Restock the landmines and the ammo in the turrets. Scope out hot chicks who have run out of food. "Hey, baby! Want a candy bar? Come inside. Remove any weapons before stepping in front of the sensors."

I want my stuff in multiple places that are all under my control. One copy on the device or a microSD card. One copy on the computer. One or two backups. Clouds are unstable and prone to leaks.
Obviously you have thought this through very carefully. I am impressed.

k4k
Old 01-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #27
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
If WW3 starts, I'll walk out to the beach and wait for sweet death to embrace me.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #28
krazy4katz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
If WW3 starts, I'll walk out to the beach and wait for sweet death to embrace me.
Kind of like "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #29
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It says so right in the first sentence:

R & D is simply the short form of that. But then, of course, the article doesn't say what exactly they are researching ...
Oh! Duh! Well color me embarrassed.
Thank you.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #30
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
I hope PW2 will have a better screen display and the text/fonts to be richer/crispier.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote