Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #136
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
This would be a big problem for me, not just the cost of sending it back but the hassle of waiting for it to go back to the US and then for another unit to be sent out. This is one of the reasons why I didnt buy a kindle when they were only sold by amazon.com
My understanding is that you send back your broken Kindle after the replacement arrives at your house and that they send the replacement using the fastest shipping method possible.

I had not thought about the customs issue. I would call Amazon CS and ask them how they handle the customs issue. It might be that they include a note saying that this Kindle is a replacement for a broken Kindle and is not charged the customs tax.

You are right though, my initial response is to call CS and have them send you a new one. I guess I can amend that to Call CS and if you are out of the country ask them about how they handle the customs issue.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #137
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
I don't know if someone have this problem, but I have a K3 Wifi near me, and I never saw such a buggy Kindle... It constantly crash, lock doesn't want to reboot etc... Especially when it goes to wifi, this is really really annoying...
The crashing is thought to be a software issue, which they are working to fix. I hear they have test versions, so the fix is partway done.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #138
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
My understanding is that you send back your broken Kindle after the replacement arrives at your house and that they send the replacement using the fastest shipping method possible.
Yep. You return the broken Kindle in the box the new one came in, using a label they email to you, so you don't pay for shipping either way.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:42 AM   #139
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Here's a new gripe: if you have an Audible account and merge it your Amazon account, your Archived Items listing will include the contents of your Audible library, and you can download these over wifi. Instead of being broken into parts (for larger audiobooks), you wind up with one big one. Cool.

But the only format it will download over wifi is 'enhanced' format, even though Kindle also supports format '4', and even when your preferred format is set to '4'. 'enhanced' format is roughly twice the size, so it chews up the limited storage on Kindle more quickly and takes twice as long to download. I'm not even sure I can tell the difference in audio quality on Kindle. What were they thinking?
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #140
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Yeah. Audible.com doesn't seem to be fully integrated yet for the Kindle or the Amazon store. As you've noticed, it is a little half baked and acts odd.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:10 AM   #141
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Yeah. Audible.com doesn't seem to be fully integrated yet for the Kindle or the Amazon store. As you've noticed, it is a little half baked and acts odd.
The Kindle browser is good enough to go to audible.com, purchase there, and there's a convenient link to 'send it to my kindle', so the current lack of integration with Kindle Store is not a show stopper. I asked Amazon CS about it and they said 'a couple of weeks' or something like that.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #142
parablax
parablax began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
love it generally, except for following:

- the repeated freezing and restarting - hopefully fixed in new firmware.
- keyboard key print is starting to wear off on menu key any 5-way switch.
- 5 way switch is too close to other keys so I have to use my nail instead of my fingertip.
parablax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #143
lost66615
Enthusiast
lost66615 doesn't litterlost66615 doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx
battery lasts 9 hrs read dx all day and lasted only 9 hrs
lost66615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #144
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost66615 View Post
battery lasts 9 hrs read dx all day and lasted only 9 hrs
I read my DXG for 4-6 hours a day the beach and did not need to recharge the entire week.

You might have a problem with your battery. Call CS and talk to them.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote