Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #1
beic
beic began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 3G
Converting an AZW dictionary to MOBI = no longer treated as a dictionary by Kindle

I have a dictionary in AZW format which works fine on my Kindle. I now want to make some changes to the dictionary definitions and then reupload it to my Kindle.

Problem is, when I try to edit the AZW in Calibre, it says

Quote:
ERROR: Cannot Edit Book: The book must be in the EPUB or AZW3 formats to edit. First convert the book to one of these formats.
OK, so I convert it to EPUB, make the necessary changes to the definitions, save it, then convert it back to MOBI and send it to my Kindle, but it is listed as a document, not a dictionary.

Does anyone know what META tags I need to edit so that Kindle will treat the MOBI file as a dictionary?
beic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A Mobi/Kindle dictionary is a complex beast. You won't be able to edit it in calibre. You might just be able to unpack it with kindleunpack and recompile it with Kindlegen, but I don't know if anyone's actually done that.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
As pdurrant has already pointed out, you can't edit or compile dictionaries with Calibre.

Updating a dictionary involves the following steps:

1. Unpack the dictionary with KindleUnpack or the KindleUnpack Calibre plugin.
2. Edit the dictionary HTML source file with an editor that can handle large text files.
3. Compile the dictionary with KindleGen or KindlePreviewer.

You also might want to have a look at the dictionary section of the Kindle Publishing Guidelines.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
beic
beic began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 3G
Awesome, thanks guys. I'll let you know how I get on.
beic is offline   Reply With Quote