Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-14-2016, 01:42 AM   #16
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
This is a paranoid and illogical statement.
I can see paranoid, but how is it illogical?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:09 AM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I can see paranoid, but how is it illogical?
Each individual component of that post was both illogical AND paranoid.

If you really want me to enumerate them...
  • This is a scheme to stop you from downloading and sideloading via USB? Just practically speaking, you do realize that that is a really inefficient way of doing so? They could nix the feature. But as it is, they haven't stopped you from updating and then downloading and sideloading via USB anyway.
  • You "must" deregister them? Who's gonna make you? Unless Amazon knows the difference between a non-updated and a broken Kindle. And if they don't care which one it is then they would just deregister for you rather than giving you the option.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #18
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Each individual component of that post was both illogical AND paranoid.

If you really want me to enumerate them...
  • This is a scheme to stop you from downloading and sideloading via USB? Just practically speaking, you do realize that that is a really inefficient way of doing so? They could nix the feature. But as it is, they haven't stopped you from updating and then downloading and sideloading via USB anyway.
  • Inefficient is not the same as illogical.

Quote:
  • You "must" deregister them? Who's gonna make you? Unless Amazon knows the difference between a non-updated and a broken Kindle. And if they don't care which one it is then they would just deregister for you rather than giving you the option.
The email carries the veiled threat of suspension of kindle services. It is possible they're both giving one the option as well as moving ahead anyway on their own once the deadline has expired. What the email does is express possible intent. It's hardly an illogical conclusion to draw. Improbable, maybe. Illogical, not.

This is a very strange post from you.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I almost get the impression that you failed to read my post... certainly you have systematically failed to grasp the fundamental point, and proceeded to quibble over the phrasing instead, not that that is very objectionable either...

Anyway, I've said my piece, hopefully people will now know to ignore the nonsense you posted, and I'm out.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:43 AM   #20
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhites 2013 and 2015, Nook Glowlight, iPhone, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Here's the full email I got (a bit different from the one the OP got)... "... If you do not update the device software by March 22, 2016, you will no longer be able to access Kindle services or get the update via connecting to a wireless network. To resume access, you will need to manually update the software on your Kindle. Please visit our Help page for more details on how to update automatically.

So here's my thinking that I'd love confirmed by those more knowledgeable.

(1) As far as I can tell since the ONLY books I have/want on my Kindle are those I personally sideload via USB - AZW or mobi format - and I believe there's nothing in Kindle services I can't live without, I can NOT TAKE MY KINDLE PAPERWHITE 6th Gen OUT OF AIRPLANE MODE and thus NOT get the update and it will continue to work fine to read books I sideload via USB.

(2) I can once again connect to wifi to go to Wikipedia or use the browser AFTER March ... say 25 ... and: A) it won't stop me at that point from USING the Kindle to read or sideload via USB without requiring me to download the update; B) I will NOT be risking an AUTOMATIC UPDATE of the software until/unless they roll out an update NEWER THAN the current 5.7.2.1. and C) WITHOUT THE UPDATE I WILL be ABLE to connect via Wifi to Wikipedia or use the browser?

(3) I ALSO own a still boxed/never-connected Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation. When I chose to put it into rotation I'll want to e.g. get proper time and date which means connecting it to Wifi. If I WAIT until AFTER March 25 will I be able to connect it and, while it might PREFER me to do a manual update IT WILL NOT (A) FORCE THE UPDATE or B) MANDATE the update so that even if all I want to do is sideload stuff I'll have to update before it can receive or read anything?

All help SO gratefully appreciated!

Alley
allisondbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2016, 12:53 AM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisondbl View Post
I can once again connect to wifi to go to Wikipedia or use the browser AFTER March ... say 25 ... and: A) it won't stop me at that point from USING the Kindle to read or sideload via USB without requiring me to download the update;
AFAIK the quoted must update email are going out to those with older devices (K1, K2, K3, KT, DX) and it appears those devices when left not updated will no longer connect to Amazon and need a manual update to connect again. Not sure at all that this applies to newer devices (PW2, PW3, etc.). So I don't know that you'd be "safe" to connect to WiFi after the 22nd or not. As far as using it with sideloaded content I don't see how they could make it suddenly not work.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:22 AM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:

So here's my thinking that I'd love confirmed by those more knowledgeable.

(1) As far as I can tell since the ONLY books I have/want on my Kindle are those I personally sideload via USB - AZW or mobi format - and I believe there's nothing in Kindle services I can't live without, I can NOT TAKE MY KINDLE PAPERWHITE 6th Gen OUT OF AIRPLANE MODE and thus NOT get the update and it will continue to work fine to read books I sideload via USB.
Correct.

Quote:
(2) I can once again connect to wifi to go to Wikipedia or use the browser AFTER March ... say 25 ... and: A) it won't stop me at that point from USING the Kindle to read or sideload via USB without requiring me to download the update; B) I will NOT be risking an AUTOMATIC UPDATE of the software until/unless they roll out an update NEWER THAN the current 5.7.2.1. and C) WITHOUT THE UPDATE I WILL be ABLE to connect via Wifi to Wikipedia or use the browser?
Correct.

Quote:
(3) I ALSO own a still boxed/never-connected Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation. When I chose to put it into rotation I'll want to e.g. get proper time and date which means connecting it to Wifi. If I WAIT until AFTER March 25 will I be able to connect it and, while it might PREFER me to do a manual update IT WILL NOT (A) FORCE THE UPDATE or B) MANDATE the update so that even if all I want to do is sideload stuff I'll have to update before it can receive or read anything?
Almost definitely correct.
All the indications are that the update notice applies only to the Kindle 1/2/DX(G)/K3/etc. -- the old models.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #23
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

(3) I ALSO own a still boxed/never-connected Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation. When I chose to put it into rotation I'll want to e.g. get proper time and date which means connecting it to Wifi. If I WAIT until AFTER March 25 ...
Still boxed? As in not charging it at all? You'll be lucky if you can get the unit to turn on in March.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #24
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
There is no forced update.

I use my Kindle DX with an ultra old firmware and my Paperwhite 1 with jailbreak and old version.

I don't think Amazon will block older firmware versions.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #25
TheFattie
Connoisseur
TheFattie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
I never got an OTA update, so after jailbreaking, I manually updated.
TheFattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #26
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
All the indications are that the update notice applies only to the Kindle 1/2/DX(G)/K3/etc. -- the old models.
Agreed. I just got one, and cursed loudly. However... I have a PW1 with the last working version of ixtab's hyphenation patch. On upgrade, that'll stop working -- but if all they're updating is an auth server IP and cacerts, is there any reason why we can't install that *ourselves* (assuming we knew what to install) and retain the ability to hyphenate in periodicals and .mobis as well as the ability to connect to Amazon?
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Well, yes. If it actually turns out that you need an update, which I already said is not exactly definite.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #28
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Here's the full email I got (a bit different from the one the OP got)...
I just got the email and it's a little different than yours - it has my device in it and says which devices are affected

Quote:
Your Kindle Keyboard (3rd Generation) requires an important software update to continue downloading e-books and using Kindle services.

This important update applies to Kindle e-readers released prior to 2014. Visit our Help page for a complete list of impacted devices.

To receive the update, follow these steps:

Plug your Kindle in to charge during the update.

Connect to Wi-Fi.

From the Home screen of your Kindle, select Menu or tap the Menu icon. Then choose Sync and Check for Items.

Leave your Kindle connected to both power and Wi-Fi overnight, or until the update is complete.
The software update will download and install automatically, even if your device is asleep. Your device may restart multiple times during the update process. You will get a final confirmation letter on your device when the update is complete, which can be found in your Kindle Library.

If you do not update the device software by March 22, 2016, you will no longer be able to access Kindle services or get the update via Wi-Fi. To resume access, you will need to manually update the software on your Kindle. Please visit our Help page for more details on how to update manually.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I no longer have or use my Kindle e-reader?
If you no longer have or use your Kindle e-reader, deregister it from your account today. First, go to www.amazon.com/mycd and log into your Amazon account. Click on the Your Devices tab and select the Kindle e-reader you want to deregister. Click Deregister.
How do I connect to Wi-Fi?
You can find out more about connecting to Wi-Fi on our Help page.
How can I get help updating my Kindle e-reader?
For more information, visit our Help page.
Thank you for reading with Kindle, and be sure to connect your device to Wi-Fi regularly to receive all future software updates.

Sincerely,
The Amazon Kindle Team
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
This important update applies to Kindle e-readers released prior to 2014. Visit our Help page for a complete list of impacted devices.
I kept telling everyone that.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #30
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I just got the email and it's a little different than yours - it has my device in it and says which devices are affected
Maybe there was enough complaint/confusion that they've started including the device?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, paperwhite, update