Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-22-2018, 11:46 PM   #451
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've just taken advantage of Amazon Canada deal of 50% off the Instant Pot Duo and expect it Saturday.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:42 PM   #452
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
My sister is trying to convince me and my Mom that we need this. It does pressure cooking, slow cooking and sauteing.

Eggs are easy to peel
Yeah, I've had one for 1.5 years now (Mother's Day, 2017 - ostensibly from my cat & dog). It's gotten me eating a lot more home cooked food. Mostly because I can throw in frozen chicken breasts and the recipe is still fine. Also because, even for soup, it's easier because you close the lid and walk away. Don't have to hang around till it boils, and then monitor to make sure it doesn't boil over.

Not all people like it's slow cook mode; I haven't tried that. It has heating elements only on the bottom, not around the pot, so it's not the same as a normal crock pot. I've kept my crock pots.

Eggs -- yes. Definitely. Shells come off in 2-3 large pieces, instead of not coming off at all. I've switched from a commercial power bar to hard boiled eggs for breaksfast-to-go days. Never did that before.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2018, 05:44 PM   #453
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I like my instant pot but its hard to cook for 1. I made the damn best ham and bean soup but it was so much I ended up throwing most away. I cant eat leftovers for more than 1 day. I need to learn to cut the ingredients in half and make smaller amounts
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:33 PM   #454
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I like my instant pot but its hard to cook for 1. I made the damn best ham and bean soup but it was so much I ended up throwing most away. I cant eat leftovers for more than 1 day. I need to learn to cut the ingredients in half and make smaller amounts
Why not freeze it? I freeze ham and bean soup all the time. Hell, I love to make stuff of all kinds and freeze it; I'm uber-fond of the ease of popping open the freezer, defrosting something or just nuking and eating.

FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #455
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Mother Jones just recommended a number of ipot cookbooks including insta pot receipies for 1 person.

I've already added 3 of them to my wishlist.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #456
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Dang, I get the munchies every time someone brings this thread back
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #457
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does beans freeze well?
Old 12-23-2018, 08:46 PM   #458
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does beans freeze well?
They do for me in soup, yes. I freeze bean soups of all kinds, lentil soups, white bean soups, etc. No problems.

Hitch
Old 12-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #459
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
They do for me in soup, yes. I freeze bean soups of all kinds, lentil soups, white bean soups, etc. No problems.

Hitch
What is the best way to freeze ham and bean soup?
Old 12-24-2018, 11:46 PM   #460
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
What is the best way to freeze ham and bean soup?
Hi:

Well, you can either put it in airtight containers, or, if you're like me, I put it in Seal-a-Meal (ot whatever it's called, those vacuum-sealed) bags. I divvy it up into quarts, and freeze however many bagfuls that equals. I prefer the bags, because in the containers, you can get rime on the top, which will result in freezer burn. You can do the same thing with regular old Ziploc bags, too; fill them up, carefully get out as much air as you can, seal 'em, and slap 'em in the freezer. Works a treat. :-)

BTW, I also freeze bakery bread, all the time, in loaves. French breads, Italian loaves, sourdough, Rosemary Olive Oil...loaves freeze GREAT. The trick is to wrap the loaf tightly with paper-towels, first. (That's the big secret!)

I tape them together, around the loaf, using plain old scotch tape. Then wrap the loaf with plastic wrap, then put it in a freezer bag (or a 2nd layer of thicker plastic or foil), and freeze. When you remove it from the freezer, remove the top bag/foil. Leave the 2nd layer and the paper towels. After a few hours, remove the 2nd layer, leaving the paper towels on the bread. Once the bread is mostly defrosted, remove the paper towels. Like you just bought it. I mean, not 100% PERFECT, hot-from-the-oven, but you'd be amazed at how good it comes out.

If you're working, just take the whole thing out of the freezer in the am., and leave it on the counter. By the time you get home, it'll be good to go. The "magic" is that the paper towel absorbs the water from the ice, in the bread, (And keeps rime from forming on the crust), keeping the bread from becoming soggy during the defrost, and preventing it (somehow) from drying and being icky when defrosted.

I know, that's not an Instant Pot thing, but learning to freeze bread saved me only about a bajillion trips to the bakery or the bakery aisle at the supermarket, and it enables me to have lovely crusty bakery bread, WITHOUT making 15-mile runs to the grocery. :-) Lovely to have with your ham&bean soup, too.

Hitch
Old 01-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #461
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We purchased one late November and have only just started using it.

So far have made a turkey chili, potato and leek soup, macaroni and cheese, and tonight chicken cordon bleu.

Next on my list is some egg bites so I can have some options at breakfast time.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #462
HLS
Wizard

I made Zantarian's Jambalaya today in mine was sooooo good.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #463
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
We purchased one late November and have only just started using it.

So far have made a turkey chili, potato and leek soup, macaroni and cheese, and tonight chicken cordon bleu.
can I ask how you did the chicken cordon bleu? That's a dish that I love, I usually do it in the oven, I'm not seeing how I can do it in the IP.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #464
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
can I ask how you did the chicken cordon bleu? That's a dish that I love, I usually do it in the oven, I'm not seeing how I can do it in the IP.
See https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/ins...-cordon-bleus/

I didn't follow the suggestion to saute the chicken afterwards so yes; the topping was a bit soggy. Next time will saute it to crisp it up

Old 01-22-2019, 09:38 PM   #465
HLS
Wizard

hey does chili freeze well?