Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Traditional Chinese

Version 3.29 of Amazon's Kindle Previewer was just released and the updated manual for that version has the following statement:

Quote:
1.6.2 Supported Export File Formats
Kindle Previewer does not support export to .mobi or .azk when the language of the book is Arabic, Traditional Chinese, or one of the Indian languages. These languages are available only with Enhanced Typesetting features, and .mobi/.azk files do not support Enhanced Typesetting.
This is the first mention of Traditional Chinese that I have seen in the KDP Amazon publishing literature. (Chinese is listed as a supported language for the Kindle Previewer, but I believe that refers to simplified Chinese.)

Is this something new or is it just something that I never noticed before?

Last edited by jhowell; 01-09-2019 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Not KDP!
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Omigosh, Simplified Chinese is supported? How fine.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Omigosh, Simplified Chinese is supported? How fine.
Actually, I was wrong.

It is supported by the Kindle Previewer, but not listed on the KDP Supported Languages page.

My mistake was assuming that the Previewer languages were equivalent to KDP languages.

(I have made a correction to the first post.)

Last edited by jhowell; 01-09-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Amazon has pulled version 3.29 of the Kindle Previewer and gone back to version 3.28 on the download page. I guess there was a problem with the new release.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:05 AM   #5
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the update!
Old 01-14-2019, 01:59 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Kindle Previewer 3.29.1 is now available. Amazon has updated the documentation to remove the mention of Traditional Chinese added in version 3.29. Perhaps they are not yet ready to announce support for that language.

————————

It turns out that version 3.29.1 is the same as 3.28.1, with only the version number changed so that it causes those who have already installed 3.29 to actually revert to the older version when they update.

Last edited by jhowell; 01-14-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:11 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

It has been four months since Amazon released a version of the Kindle Previewer that mentioned support for Traditional Chinese in the manual and then quickly pulled it. Now they have officially announced support for it.

Press release: Amazon Launches Support for Traditional Chinese Books on Kindle
Old 06-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Again, thanks for the update!
Old 06-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It has been four months since Amazon released a version of the Kindle Previewer that mentioned support for Traditional Chinese in the manual and then quickly pulled it. Now they have officially announced support for it.

Press release: Amazon Launches Support for Traditional Chinese Books on Kindle
Thanks, jhowell.

We have a couple of Chinese-language clients, so this will be welcome news to them.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
We have a couple of Chinese-language clients, so this will be welcome news to them.
There are several restrictions for publishing. See the KDP guidelines: Chinese (Traditional) (Beta)
Old 06-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #11
Notjohn
mostly an observer

The Guidelines say:

>Format your eBook with content that’s read from left to right (LTR), not right to left (RTL).

Does the publishing workflow then reverse the reading order, or are Sinophones so adept that they can read either way?

Most of my experience is with Japanese texts, and there I have learned that horizontal is now apparently as acceptable as vertical, but AFAIK books are always right-to-left (and "back" to front!).
Old 06-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Most of my experience is with Japanese texts, and there I have learned that horizontal is now apparently as acceptable as vertical, but AFAIK books are always right-to-left (and "back" to front!).
As far as I know in Kindle e-books horizontal layouts for Chinese and Japanese read left-to-right, top-to-bottom and page progression is left-to-right, the same as English. Vertical layouts read top-to-bottom, right-to-left and page progression right-to-left. I would appreciate someone who knows these languages correcting me if I am wrong about that.

I have seen signs that Amazon is working on supporting vertical layout for Traditional Chinese, but I suspect that won't be ready for six months or more. (Support for Traditional Chinese is called tcn-reflow-language internally and a new feature called tcnvertical-reflow-language is partially supported in the latest version of the Kindle Previewer.)
Old 06-09-2019, 02:30 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
As far as I know in Kindle e-books horizontal layouts for Chinese and Japanese read left-to-right, top-to-bottom and page progression is left-to-right, the same as English. Vertical layouts read top-to-bottom, right-to-left and page progression right-to-left. I would appreciate someone who knows these languages correcting me if I am wrong about that.

I have seen signs that Amazon is working on supporting vertical layout for Traditional Chinese, but I suspect that won't be ready for six months or more. (Support for Traditional Chinese is called tcn-reflow-language internally and a new feature called tcnvertical-reflow-language is partially supported in the latest version of the Kindle Previewer.)
Presumably so, as they are clearly working on RTL for Arabic, so...I wouldn't be surprised to see true Vertical Top-bottom, rtl for Chinese. (Just THINK how many markets would be opened up, with Arabic, Hebrew and Chinese, squee!)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:57 AM   #14
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
(Just THINK how many markets would be opened up, with Arabic, Hebrew and Chinese, squee!)
All KFX-enabled readers and apps already support Arabic. Amazon even created a landing page for Arabic Kindle books and offers Arabic dictionaries as free downloads for eInk Kindles and some of the Kindle apps.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #15
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Presumably so, as they are clearly working on RTL for Arabic, so...I wouldn't be surprised to see true Vertical Top-bottom, rtl for Chinese. (Just THINK how many markets would be opened up, with Arabic, Hebrew and Chinese, squee!)
They have supported vertical layouts for Japanese in KF8 for a long time. And they just added Enhanced Typesetting for vertical Japanese in a last couple of months, unannounced as far as I can tell. I don't know enough about Japanese to tell whether ET/KFX actually improves the rendering in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
All KFX-enabled readers and apps already support Arabic. Amazon even created a landing page for Arabic Kindle books and offers Arabic dictionaries as free downloads for eInk Kindles and some of the Kindle apps.
Well all except for the Kindle for PC and Mac apps. They always seem to leave something unfinished.