Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Light,simple and with dictionary - All recommendations welcome!

My mother inherited my first ebook reader, the Cybook Gen3, and she has been quite happy with it. But now, after a freeze too many, I think it's time to get her a new device.

It needs to be light, simple to use, and must have a dictionary (and hopefully a search function).

Though I'm very happy with my prs-600, due to the reflective screen and the relatively high weight, I don't think it would be the best device for her.
I'm looking at Bebook Neo and Pocketbook (360 probably) as my two main candidates.

As the dictionary is pretty important, I wanted to ask people who have these readers how satisfied they are with the way the dictionary works - I've seen some complaints about the Neo dictionary for example.

How about ease of use? How techy do you have to be to figure them out?

Whatever I order will have to be sent to either Greece or UK (or even better bought in-store), I wouldn't want to order from the USA.

So, any advice/opinion/recommendation will be greatly appreciated!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have both machines. Both are excellent, but it's really comparing apples and oranges. The Pocketbook 360 is small, compact, the battery lasts forever (or seems to ) and it's very easy indeed to use. The Neo is larger, heavier, more complex to use, with a shorter battery life, but it does a heck of a lot more.

Both can use essentially the same free dictionaries, and it seems to work well enough.

Given your requirements, I'd probably go for the PB360.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Thanks Harry. Is Neo as heavy as the prs-600?

I know she won't use all the features of either device, but unfortunately simpler devices like the prs-300 don't support any dictionary.

I liked the Neo because of the mobipocket support (all her books are mobipocket), but converting them won't be that much of a problem.

Also, best place to buy a pocketbook in Europe? Is http://www.pocketgoods.de/ the only option? If so, is there any manual in english or will I have to translate?

Last edited by omk3; 03-08-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
It needs to be light, simple to use, and must have a dictionary (and hopefully a search function).
PocketBook 360 is an excellent candidate.
But, it is not as simple as for example PRS-500.
You have to have an idea what you are doing.
There are quite a lot of configuration options, lots of options in menu when you press and hold an OK button in a library view (like move file, copy file, open with certain application) there are lots of options in fbreader.

PocketBook is a very powerfull machine, and you can get into situation where a totally non-technically-inclined user might be confused. If such user activates note taking mode, for example, it might take a little while to figure out what to do. You can switch the device off and on to get out of such situation. You can remap the keys, so the user does not activate for example note taking functionality by pressing a key.

There are quite a few dictionaries available.
What dictionary is interesting for you?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
omk3
Wizard

Hey kacir. Hmm, I was afraid pocketbook has too many options for a simple user. I hope it won't be a problem... I'm not aware of any reader with dictionary and not too many extra features. If there is one, I may consider it. Anyway, I (and MR by extension) will be her online support if she runs into confusing situations.

She's used an english to english dictionary so far, so that would probably be enough. If you can access the dictionary outside a book (can you?), other languages would also be nice to have, but the english one is the most important.
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
With reagards to the dictionary feature - if her books are all mobipocket (and without DRM, I presume) I would seriously consider a Kindle, even if it means ordering from Amazon in USA. Easy to use, very solid, though the device is a little heavier than the Cybook.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
omk3
Wizard

Thanks Ea, I thought about the Kindle too, it's supposed to be the most straightforward to use. But it is a bit heavy and a bit big due to the keyboard. Anyway, it's added to the "to consider" list.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not a 'one-handed device'. Saturday I sat, holding it in one hand for a few hours (not thinking about it) and got a sore and stiff upper-arm and shoulder. You need to rest it on your knee or something. As far as I remember of the Cybook, it was just about light enough to be comfortable to use one-handed (except for the button layout, but that's another isse).

I've just ordered myself a PB 360 today - so when I get it can make a comparison with the Kindle.

Last edited by Ea; 03-08-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Thanks Ea, I thought about the Kindle too, it's supposed to be the most straightforward to use. But it is a bit heavy and a bit big due to the keyboard. Anyway, it's added to the "to consider" list.
You know where my preferences lay. I think that PocketBook is one of the best devices available.

But there is another aspect concerning Kindle that very few people seem to be aware of.
With the international Kindle, Amazon made one very, very significant move. They started to sell the Kindle in Europe for the same price as in USA. You have to pay VAT in your country and the postage is higher than if you buy in the USA, but, Amazon seems to be the only one that does not sell the reader for the same price in Eur as in dollars.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #10
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
But there is another aspect concerning Kindle that very few people seem to be aware of.
With the international Kindle, Amazon made one very, very significant move. They started to sell the Kindle in Europe for the same price as in USA. You have to pay VAT in your country and the postage is higher than if you buy in the USA, but, Amazon seems to be the only one that does not sell the reader for the same price in Eur as in dollars.
Except.... when I buy something within EU, I don't have to pay import taxes and additional courier fees for levying those taxes. That is, VAT is included in the higher price, and any additional cost that the shop may have had (for example import taxes) are initially paid by them (and of course makes my price a little higher, too). Of course the potential re-seller have to earn revenue as well, but you can't make a straight comparison unless you add in all costs. So it's not only $ vs. €
Old 03-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #11
omk3
Wizard

Forwarded the info in here to my mother and she seems to like the pocketbook 360 most, but the irregular shape might be a problem - she likes to hold the reader in a regular book-shaped cover. So I'm now thinking about the pocketbook 301. Other than size, shape and automatic orientation change, are there any other differences between the two I should know about?

[EDIT] Never mind, in the end I just ordered the 360 for her. It seems to be the best option all around. I hope she likes it as much as everyone else seems to do.

Thank you all for your help!

Last edited by omk3; 03-09-2010 at 08:55 AM.