Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-14-2023, 03:19 PM   #1
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Full-page image "floating" for responsive pagination.

I'm not exactly sure how best to describe this, but I often come across books where an image will appear mid-chapter (sometimes, mid-paragraph or sentence).

In print, that image is usually positioned in such a way that the page of text preceding it is full, but with a responsively paginated ereader with variable display settings, you may end up with the preceding page having only half a paragraph of text, and the rest of the page being blank because the image requires the full next page.

Anyway, I know it's probably unavoidable to a degree, but I don't suppose there's a way to allow that image to "float" up or down a certain amount to allow the preceding page to fill?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 06:38 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The CSS property "float: snap-block" may be what you are looking for. See this example from W3C to see how it works.

Amazon has limited support for this property in Enhanced Typesetting (KFX formatting). I don't know about support in other e-readers.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2023, 11:09 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
As long as the image is not included within the <p></p> tags you should never have a paragraph ‘interrupted’ halfway for the image…it should complete the paragraph, then display the image.

Otherwise, I try and place the image slightly after the scene depicted by the image first gets discussed. That keeps the story flowing smoothly, with a natural pause to view the image.

I don’t worry too much about white space between pages in a reflowable book. You just do the best you can. What absolutely drives me nuts is white space WITHIN a paragraph, or sentence, caused by book coders forcing justified text. There are only a few devices that handle auto-hyphenation tolerably well, and those rivers of white space, especially on small profile devices - like phones, is very distracting and yanks me right out of the story! Extra space at the bottom of a page is relatively unnoticeable.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 05:31 PM   #4
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The CSS property "float: snap-block" may be what you are looking for. See this example from W3C to see how it works.

Amazon has limited support for this property in Enhanced Typesetting (KFX formatting). I don't know about support in other e-readers.
I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm trying to test it in Calibre's book viewer and I'm not seeing it working correctly (the image shows but doesn't seem to "float") but it may be an issue of limited compatibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
As long as the image is not included within the <p></p> tags you should never have a paragraph ‘interrupted’ halfway for the image…it should complete the paragraph, then display the image.
You're correct, and I think I wasn't explaining myself well. I mean it'll cut into the middle of a sentence in a print book, so the text on the preceding page will go all the way to the bottom of the page. I was trying to replicate this in an epub (though just having the image jump between paragraphs, not within one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Otherwise, I try and place the image slightly after the scene depicted by the image first gets discussed. That keeps the story flowing smoothly, with a natural pause to view the image.
That is currently what I do as well, but was curious if there was a more elegant solution. And I agree about justified text; I tend to remove the justification alignment when I come across it as it looks odd outside of a few specific use cases.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:57 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You cannot duplicate that pBook in ePub. The problem is that you cannot count on a certain font size and you cannot count on a certain screen size and resolution.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2023, 09:22 AM   #6
Vanguard3000
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You cannot duplicate that pBook in ePub. The problem is that you cannot count on a certain font size and you cannot count on a certain screen size and resolution.
What a pointless thing to say right after someone posted a solution.

I've been working with epubs for over a decade now and have generally been able to get pretty close to a faithful recreation, in spirit if not in perfect accuracy. This is a small thing that I've been curious about for a long time and wanted to see if there was an elegant solution.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:26 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One other issue is how many epub renderers support page floats? In my admittedly limited testing about 4 years ago, the answer was not that many.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 01:04 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
It is one of the many counterproductive things he does in large numbers, and not the worst.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 04:06 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One other issue is how many epub renderers support page floats? In my admittedly limited testing about 4 years ago, the answer was not that many.
Agreed!
Old 09-21-2023, 04:07 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post

I've been working with epubs for over a decade now and have generally been able to get pretty close to a faithful recreation, in spirit if not in perfect accuracy. This is a small thing that I've been curious about for a long time and wanted to see if there was an elegant solution.
Go ahead and get the float to work on your Kobo with ePub. KePub does not count.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:36 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Go ahead and get the float to work on your Kobo with ePub. KePub does not count.
Why doesn't KePub count? Do you have a Kobo original or Wifi that does not support KePub?

Reminds me of one person who was arguing about app development in another forum. Evidently his Android Honeycomb smartphone could not be updated to a recent version of Android and the app he wants to use now requires Android 9 as the minimum version so the developer should be forced to have the new app version run on Android 3 like the original version he paid for ($0.99) 12 years ago.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:05 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Why doesn't KePub count? Do you have a Kobo original or Wifi that does not support KePub?

Reminds me of one person who was arguing about app development in another forum. Evidently his Android Honeycomb smartphone could not be updated to a recent version of Android and the app he wants to use now requires Android 9 as the minimum version so the developer should be forced to have the new app version run on Android 3 like the original version he paid for ($0.99) 12 years ago.
Because the idea is to use ePub and see how many programs it works with or doesn't work with.
Old 09-22-2023, 04:27 PM   #13
Vanguard3000
Groupie

This is getting silly off topic. Mods, I consider my question answered; maybe we can lock this thread? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2023, 01:26 PM   #14
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
My first thought was not to participate in this thread but I changed my mind. It is perfectly possible to avoid blank spaces produced by images (or another element, for example tables) under epub3. I'm not going to post the code to achieve this (at least, not for now, maybe in a future) but I can CATEGORICALLY affirm that it is possible to get what the OP proposed, with the following ereaders:

ADE 4.x (Windows), Thorium (Windows and Linux), Koodo Reader (Windows and Linux), IceCream Ebook Reader (Windows), Foliate (Linux), Readium, Bibi Reader and JSReader (all Sigil plugins on both Windows and on Linux), Calibre Viewer (Windows and Linux), EPUBReader (extension for Chrome and Firefox), ePUB Reader (another extension for Chrome and Firefox), PocketBook (Android), Gitden Reader (Android), Reasily (Android), Aldiko Next (Android), Lithium (Android), OverDrive (Android), Bluefire Reader (Android), BookFusion (Android) and Colibrio Reader (Android, which with its last update fixed all the errors and now perfectly avoids fragmentation).

Some screenshots:

1) From Readium (Sigil plugin):

a) With a font-size of 100%:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img1.png
Views:	45
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	204033 Click image for larger version

Name:	Img2.png
Views:	50
Size:	480.4 KB
ID:	204034

b) After increasing font-size (120%):

Name:	Img3.png
Views:	49
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	204035 Click image for larger version

Name:	Img4.png
Views:	43
Size:	468.5 KB
ID:	204036

a) With a font-size of 100%:

Name:	Img5.png
Views:	48
Size:	776.0 KB
ID:	204037 Click image for larger version

Name:	Img6.png
Views:	55
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	204038

b) After increasing font-size (120%):

Name:	Img7.png
Views:	46
Size:	780.2 KB
ID:	204039 Click image for larger version

Name:	Img8.png
Views:	40
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	204040

2) From PocketBook:

a) Before increasing font-size:

Name:	Screenshot_2023-10-01-13-14-30.png
Views:	38
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	204046 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-10-01-13-14-09.png
Views:	35
Size:	712.6 KB
ID:	204044 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-10-01-13-14-39.png
Views:	33
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	204047

b) After increasing font-size:

Name:	Screenshot_2023-10-01-13-14-05.png
Views:	41
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	204043 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-10-01-13-14-09.png
Views:	35
Size:	712.6 KB
ID:	204044 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-10-01-13-14-13.png
Views:	37
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	204045

a) Before increasing font-size:

Name:	Screenshot_2023-10-01-13-11-39.png
Views:	40
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	204041

b) After increasing font-size:

Name:	Screenshot_2023-10-01-13-12-09.png
Views:	37
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	204042

Of course, all this can only be achieved under epub3 (and with ereaders that have full support of it); it's impossible to avoid fragmentation and the existence of blank spaces caused by images and tables due to the change of font size under epub2.

Last edited by RbnJrg; 10-01-2023 at 01:39 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 03:29 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Of course, all this can only be achieved under epub3 (and with ereaders that have full support of it); it's impossible to avoid fragmentation and the existence of blank spaces caused by images and tables due to the change of font size under epub2.
Sadly, according to our resident curmudgeon, if you can't use ADE 2.0.1/ePub 2 to render the ePub, it's not doable.

Tags
alignment, image, page, paragraph