Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-16-2024, 10:57 AM   #31756
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thank you.

Your findings about Smith's serialized novels are generally the same that I have experienced in serialized novels published in popular SF magazines (especially 'IF Science Fiction' and 'Galaxy Magazine of Science Fiction', and even short story collections of the 1940s and 1950s, such as A.E. Van Vogt's Null series and in Clifford D. Simak ('City'), and in Zenna Henderson's work). In fact, this seemed to be the norm back then, perhaps due to an attempt to legitimize the field as authors attempted to dig SF out of its perceived 'ghetto market' persona; and, in addition, as publishers (perhaps due to Ray Bradbury's growing influence in the early 50s, and then later with Harlan Ellison's landmark 'Dangerous Visions' anthology in 1967.) I'm also thinking of Robert Silverberg as he abandoned the pulpish SF of his early period. The same can be said of Michael Moorcok's mature work, as well, I believe. Of course, all of this is an over-simplification of why serialized novels were later fleshed out to a different level of emancipation as authors embraced a more mature, universal, and personal vision of their work.

And don't forget money!

Dr. Drib, I have downloaded off of Internet Archive the Astoundings that contain Heinlein's Methuselah's Children I hope to get to it in a month or two (this is the busy time of year for me), and will give a review of the differences.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 02:22 PM   #31757
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Anos View Post
Dr. Drib, I have downloaded off of Internet Archive the Astoundings that contain Heinlein's Methuselah's Children I hope to get to it in a month or two (this is the busy time of year for me), and will give a review of the differences.
Great! I read that years ago, but in a publsihed [Signet?] paperback edition.

Let us all know about your impressions.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 03:17 PM   #31758
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Great! I read that years ago, but in a publsihed [Signet?] paperback edition.

Let us all know about your impressions.

Roger, wilco.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:12 PM   #31759
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I just picked up the first volume of Spy x Family. It's about a spy who, as part of a mission, must acquire a wife and child...and he does so. What he doesn't know is that his "wife" is a extremely deadly assassin, and his "child" is a telepath.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 05:37 AM   #31760
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
In fact, this seemed to be the norm back then, perhaps due to an attempt to legitimize the field as authors attempted to dig SF out of its perceived 'ghetto market' persona; and, in addition, as publishers (perhaps due to Ray Bradbury's growing influence in the early 50s, and then later with Harlan Ellison's landmark 'Dangerous Visions' anthology in 1967.)
Dangerous Visions and Again, Dangerous Visions are scheduled to come out as ebooks on March 26, 2024 and June 4, 2024, respectively.

Dangerous Visions - March 26, 2024

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/dangerous-visions-6

Again, Dangerous Visions - June 4, 2024

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/aga...rous-visions-4
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 02:57 AM   #31761
Quizlit
Enthusiast
Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
Just finished Every Day is for the Thief by Teju Cole, my second book of his, very talented writer.
Just started Crooked Plow by Itamar Viera Junior, which was just nominated on the International Booker Prize 2024
Quizlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:14 AM   #31762
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now I'm reading the March freebie from the University of Chicago: The Tiger in the Attic by Edith Milton. A memoir of a Jewish refugee in England.
Interesting, but the discussion of her psychic powers was too much, and I had to abandon at 80%.

Next up: The Hanging Gardens by Ian Rankin. Another Inspector Rebus story.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 09:16 AM   #31763
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I've been meaning to read Lensmen because it was the inspiration for DC's Green Lantern Corps. I do have the anime of Lensmen but I haven't watched since shortly after getting the laserdisc about 20+ years ago.
They're pulpish and ridiculous, but they were fun to read. They have a certain narrative drive (much like the literary writer Thomas Wolfe) that compels reading - especially when one is young and easily influenced.

Be aware, however, that the portrayal of women is outlandishly humorous due to the ridiculous dialogue. (Think Heinlein in 'The Number of the Beast' [recently fully published as 'The Pursuit of the Pankera: A Parallel Novel About Parallel Universes'] a work I attempted to read in my adult years, one that gave me a bad case of gastrointestinal distress...)

But still....I remember the Lensman Series (when I first encountered them as a child), as being fun to read.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:47 AM   #31764
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I've been meaning to read Lensmen because it was the inspiration for DC's Green Lantern Corps. I do have the anime of Lensmen but I haven't watched since shortly after getting the laserdisc about 20+ years ago.

In the end, all fiction is a time capsule of the times they were written in - and these times are not those times. Times change, mores change and tastes change. One must remember this when reading historically written works, and be able to accept the works for what they are - historical written works.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:56 AM   #31765
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
They're pulpish and ridiculous, but they were fun to read. They have a certain narrative drive (much like the literary writer Thomas Wolfe) that compels reading - especially when one is young and easily influenced.

Be aware, however, that the portrayal of women is outlandishly humorous due to the ridiculous dialogue. (Think Heinlein in 'The Number of the Beast' [recently fully published as 'The Pursuit of the Pankera: A Parallel Novel About Parallel Universes'] a work I attempted to read in my adult years, one that gave me a bad case of gastrointestinal distress...)

But still....I remember the Lensman Series (when I first encountered them as a child), as being fun to read.
Just finished Second Stage Lensmen. Here are my comments.

Spoiler:

Similar to the first two, but with the minor changes having an oversized impact on the ending. Once again the Arisians impact was minimized, but also there was only one word mention of the real nature of Fossten, easily overlooked, if one had not read the entire tetrology. The line was "When did you leave Eddore. "
Old 03-19-2024, 02:33 PM   #31766
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Anos View Post
In the end, all fiction is a time capsule of the times they were written in - and these times are not those times. Times change, mores change and tastes change. One must remember this when reading historically written works, and be able to accept the works for what they are - historical written works.
Understood. There are many things in early comics that would be considered offensive or in appropriate by today's standards. An example of this is Batman, in his early stories he used a gun but was later decided that would be inappropriate considering his origin.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 12:23 PM   #31767
rainerm
Addict
rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
1. Li Young Lee's poetry collection titled "Behind My Eyes"--been reading this for a month now, and it's been a fantastic companion; great for breaks at work, for commutes, for breaks from chores and of course for devoted reading sessions. Standard Checklist for Amateur Mystics is particularly excellent.

2. Chang-rae Lee's "Native Speaker"--just began this one a couple of days back; only 20 pages in. Reading is slow, though that's down to me and not a comment on the book. Sort of reminds me of Pynchon's Vineland plot-wise, but Lee and Pynchon are very different writers at the end of the day.
rainerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 05:43 AM   #31768
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
INext up: The Hanging Gardens by Ian Rankin. Another Inspector Rebus story.
Excellent. Definitely getting better as the series goes on.

Next up: A re-read: Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton. An in-person book club I'm in is reading this at my suggestion. I hope it's as good as I remember!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:23 AM   #31769
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

1) Just finished The Asylum, by John Harwood. It's was a nice potboiler reminiscent of Wilkie Collins.

But now, some Literature:

2) Currently reading The Dark Side of Skin, by Jeferson Tenório. The book is published by Charco Press. If you like literary fiction in translation, then you should check out this publisher. They even have attractive Subscription packages, but probably only viable if one lives in the UK due to shipping charges.

3) When the above is finished, (today or tomorrow), I'll be reading Every Man a Murderer, (in PDF) by the great Heimito von Doderer. (I was able to remove the yellow color layer from the PDF and now have a very readable copy on my Kindle Scribe.)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-25-2024 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:38 AM   #31770
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
40% through Venice: The Remarkable History of the Lagoon City by Dennis Romano. A fascinating read that is making me wish I could revisit the city that left me distinctly underwhelmed on my two fleeting visits.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote