Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-11-2024, 04:45 AM   #31726
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Currently halfway through The Patient book 3 in Tim Sulliva's DS Cross series. Another enjoyabe mystery, with the calm pacing and focus on evidence that have made the series a favourite for me
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 06:07 AM   #31727
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Reading Madonna: A Rebel Life by Mary Gabriel. It was publish in the fall of 2023. I got it for kindle when it was on sale in late December (4.99 at the time). I have only read the intro so far.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 04:07 PM   #31728
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Blitz Volume 1 by Harumo Sanazaki, Cedric Biscay, and Daitaro Nishihara.

A young man named Tom, in order to impress a young woman who loves Chess, decides to take up Chess. Due to a freak accident involving a virtual reality world, both the knowledge of Chess and drive to play Chess from Garry Kasparov are downloaded into his mind (the real Kasparov makes an appearance at the beginning of the book). It bares a similarity to the manga/anime Hikaru No Go which involved the game of Go. I enjoyed the first volume, and am looking forward to getting the next one.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:33 PM   #31729
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I just finished reading The Murderous History of Bible Translations by Harry Freedman. Extremely interesting, particularly as I am a translator. Now I’m reading a medical thriller by Robin Cook to relax.☺️ Both ebooks borrowed from my local library on my Libra 2.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:31 AM   #31730
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. A random pick from my TBR pile.
Which I've definitely read before. And it was good. Brilliant ideas. I had some problems with the execution, and the protagonist. 4/5. The edition I had contained a great foreword by Ray Bradbury about the writing of the book. As with most forewords added after original publication, it should be read after reading the book!

Next up: Dawnshard by Brandon Sanderson
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 04:36 AM   #31731
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I just finished reading The Murderous History of Bible Translations by Harry Freedman. Extremely interesting, particularly as I am a translator. Now I’m reading a medical thriller by Robin Cook to relax.☺️ Both ebooks borrowed from my local library on my Libra 2.
Robin Cook medical thrillers is definitely a genre I want to explore. Thanks for the reminder. Right now I'm still in a reread of Lord of the Rings. Somewhere in the Two Towers.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 04:12 PM   #31732
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Robin Cook medical thrillers is definitely a genre I want to explore. Thanks for the reminder. Right now I'm still in a reread of Lord of the Rings. Somewhere in the Two Towers.
Ooh, I reread the Lord of the Rings last year! Or, should I say, I managed to finish it for the first time ever. Previous two attempts I gave up 100 pages from the end. This time I found the end very exciting! I reread the Hobbit then followed on with TLOTR. I also bought the Silmarillion and some others which hopefully I’ll get around to one day.

ETA: Actually I think it was two years ago, time is speeding up for me.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:35 PM   #31733
Quizlit
Enthusiast
Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
Just finished The Honjin Murders by Seishi Yokomizo, the first in the Detective Kosuke Kindaichi mysteries, very enjoyable.
Am re-reading Foundation by Isaac Asimov, a classic.
Also recently completed Bliss Montage by Ling Ma, a very original collection of short stories.
Quizlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 10:59 PM   #31734
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Blitz Volume 2 by Harumo Sanazaki, Cedric Biscay, and Daitaro Nishihara.

Just got it from my bookstore. Enjoyed the first one enough to special order this one. Very Short Summary in the form of a Question: Who will go on to an International Chess Tournament?
Old 02-15-2024, 06:11 PM   #31735
Pjama
Guru

Look what happened when I was reading my Robin Cook! The chances against this must be astronomical- and what makes it even more amazing is that this book is set after the pandemic, so it must be actually TODAY, not just the same date and time in a previous year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	206423  
Old 02-15-2024, 08:24 PM   #31736
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Quote:
Look what happened when I was reading my Robin Cook! The chances against this must be astronomical- and what makes it even more amazing is that this book is set after the pandemic, so it must be actually TODAY, not just the same date and time in a previous year.
I had a similar experience when first seeing the movie Time After Time, where H. G. Wells travels to the then-future, 1979 (IIRC). What was interesting is that when I saw the movie the date that it took place in was a few days in my future.
Old 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM   #31737
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Bonus points if you read it AT THE SPECIFED TIME
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 02:02 AM   #31738
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Dawnshard by Brandon Sanderson
Wow. Excellent. I was expecting a bit of a filler Novella. No such thing.

Next up: The Monkey and the Tiger by Robert van Gulik. Two Judge Dee stories.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:37 AM   #31739
Pjama
Guru

Now reading Jewish Space Lasers: The Rothschilds and 200 Years of Conspiracy Theories by Mike Rothschild (not an actual Rothschild ) and The Trouble with Lichen by the wonderful John Wyndham. First one on my Oasis as the library loan did not transfer to my Libra, so I’m reading the fiction one on my Libra - got the Complete Works of John Wyndham on it for only $3.99. Both books wonderful so far.
Old 02-17-2024, 03:38 PM   #31740
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I just finished Midworld by Alan Dean Foster. I don't know how I missed this one for 50 years. I enjoyed it. An interesting world that Foster built here.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote