Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
emacs
emacs began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
International 3G

I'm traveling in France next month and can't quite figure out from the Amazon site if 3G web browser access from a Kindle3 is supported or not. Does anyone have experience with this? It could be handy to check email or look up events while I'm there.
emacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi there, not used it internationally yet but read plenty of threads from people who have with no problems. Hopefully other users will come and reassure you!
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, 3G works internationally. In the last few days I've been in the Netherlands, Belgium and France, and 3G worked everywhere. However, the K3's web browser currently has significant problems - I really wouldn't rely on it if I were you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:16 AM   #4
emacs
emacs began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Thanks for the responses. I should note that I have a US kindle. I don't know if that makes a difference. The web site says that wikipedia works but normal sites must be accessed via wifi so I'm confused. I've read reports of it working just fine for people so maybe Amazon just advertises it as not being supported should they wish to remove it in the future.
emacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:17 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, that's incorrect. It works fine throughout western Europe. Definitely not just Wikipedia.
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
girello
girello began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
web browser (3G or EDGE or GPRS) doesn't work everywhere. Only kindle shop, wikipedia and share on facebook.
girello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
techland
techland began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
same as girello.
I live in France and web browser doesn't work, only kindle shop.
techland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by girello View Post
web browser (3G or EDGE or GPRS) doesn't work everywhere. Only kindle shop, wikipedia and share on facebook.
You using a Kindle 3?
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
qupfer
qupfer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
new kindle3g, webbrowser works only with en.wikipedia.org and kindle store.

other pages, like amazon.com:
"Due to local restrictions, web browsing is not availiable for all countries"
(i'm in (mid)germany)

@HarryT
you are from uk? May it works with you kindle because amazon.uk has there own kindles and not the global-ones? Imho the us/international kindles use the AT&T Network (and AT&Ts roaming partners) and the uk ones use the vodafone infrastructure and maybe, vodafone allow amazon to use the "complete" web in all local vodafone networks like vodafone france, vodafon germany, vodafone austria etc.....this may be the reason too, that its not possible for us german to import the kindle's from your island

Last edited by qupfer; 09-08-2010 at 02:11 PM.
qupfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The actual Kindle is the same as sold in the UK and US, but you could well be right in that it's using a different SIM card with different network access. If that is the case my apologies for the misinformation, but it certainly worked for me in those three countries.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Kindle 3G+WiFi models from the UK store have a different serial number than the US store ones. All the UK store ones I've seen are B00A whilst the US store ones are B006. The Kindle from the EEV blog teardown is a B00A as well and has Voda but it doesn't come with a power supply. From what I can tell, he's in Australia so I've no idea which store he ordered it from.

The UK store ones have Vodafone SIMs anyway. The person reading a book under a tree barcode lists Voda in the network box.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I always thought that US customers with a kindle3 get unlimited web access internationally. What's the experience of other US customers?

If you register the kindle 3 on a US account then you should be able to surf freely right?
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by qupfer View Post
new kindle3g, webbrowser works only with en.wikipedia.org and kindle store.

other pages, like amazon.com:
"Due to local restrictions, web browsing is not availiable for all countries"
(i'm in (mid)germany)

@HarryT
you are from uk? May it works with you kindle because amazon.uk has there own kindles and not the global-ones? Imho the us/international kindles use the AT&T Network (and AT&Ts roaming partners) and the uk ones use the vodafone infrastructure and maybe, vodafone allow amazon to use the "complete" web in all local vodafone networks like vodafone france, vodafon germany, vodafone austria etc.....this may be the reason too, that its not possible for us german to import the kindle's from your island

Is Amazon trying to connect to the German Amazon website or the American? Could it be that your Kindle's Sim Card identifies you as an Amaerican so you are not able to get onto the German Amazon site?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i m sure 3g will work
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
GermanBookworm
Enthusiast
GermanBookworm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Is Amazon trying to connect to the German Amazon website or the American? Could it be that your Kindle's Sim Card identifies you as an Amaerican so you are not able to get onto the German Amazon site?
you know that theres no german kindle store? ;-)
so we germans shop on amazon.com and paying the american prices + some $ for the traffic, while the extra $ can be very high sometimes...

but to come back to the topic.

all newer kindle can't be used in germany for webbrowsing.
the older kindles still work.
dont know if theres a different build or if its an other sim card.
GermanBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote