Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you primarily watch TV?
Premium Cable 14 14.89%
Basic Cable 13 13.83%
Satellite 19 20.21%
Antenna 5 5.32%
Internet 16 17.02%
Antenna + Internet 12 12.77%
I watch TV less than 1 hour per month 15 15.96%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #31
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I was addicted to television in my youth and so now really hate it. Occasionally, though, I will watch a bit of The Donut Channel.
All doughnuts, all the time!
I remember those heady days when I could actually eat a doughnut..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #32
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
60 channels of OTA stations that have very little I want to Watch.
Given the frequent and overly loud commercials, I turn it OFF and
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #33
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Sadly, my wife tells me about the shows she has watched at breakfast. Plus I've always considered religious programming and sports channels crap programs designed solely to separate me and my money, and every 3 months when FiOS sends me the new channel guide or tells me how my TV package premium is going up because they've added yet another sports channel -- I get reminded.
I don't get it why people would pay extra for all those sports channels...

But, I've watched those HD channels (they were free for two weeks, because I've bought a new decoder + card), and yes, I will pay extra for that! Discovery HD, History HD and NGC HD are worth it!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #34
donovan1983
donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I only watch TV over the Internet. Hulu and Netflix are my main sources. Counting Netflix as TV is rather iffy, though. I count it as being more similar to movie watching than TV watching since there's no commercials and you're watching content taken from DVDs. On Hulu I tend to mostly watch documentaries from PBS or the History Channel. Don't really spend a whole lot of time watching TV though.
donovan1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #35
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
cable just doesn't have a good selection in my area. I watch both history channels, mythbusters, news, weather, and channel surfing.
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #36
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't watch tv. I have Netflix and Hulu, but I don't count them as watching tv.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #37
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I should clarify that the "I watch TV less than 1 hour per month" option is essentially that you don't pay for cable, satellite...don't owner a TV, don't watch TV shows over the net...etc. But you might watch TV sometimes over a friend's house.
I voted for this - but didn't read this first. It would be more accurate to say that I watch TV roughly once a month or less. I don't think the poll covers situations like this. There is little that interest me, and I simply often forget to check the TV schedule. I do use my TV for watching films on DVD, but I don't count that as watching TV.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #38
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I'm not a television watcher, except that I never miss the Indianapolis 500.

I listen to cable TV news channels in the car via satellite radio.

If the Saints make it to the Super Bowl, I'll watch that too!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #39
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I voted for the "less than 1 hour per month" option - I haven't owned a TV for the last 15 years (lack of space and poor reception). I'm slightly tempted to think about investigating the option of putting a TV device onto my laptop. You might be able to tell that I'm not in a hurry. On the other hand, I *do* buy and watch films on DVD.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:53 AM   #40
mindstorm
mindstorm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Haiz I dearly miss the old days when TV sets were so scarce in my hometown. At that time we only had several free-to-air channels which were owned by the government. Since the programs were so little that every time the whole family or even several families gathered and watched the show together. We did have hours chatting about the show afterward and really looked forward to the coming shows...

By now we have satellite and cable with more than 50 channels but I no longer enjoy as much as I used to. Sometimes I just browsed through every single channel available and then shut it off.
mindstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #41
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
We used to have a combination of satellite and HD OTA, but when the digital revolution came through, we lost the ability to hook up the OTA through our satellite receiver AND we also receive fewer stations.

We have the OTA stations hooked up directly to our TV, but since 95% of my TV viewing is through the DVR and the antenna does not pass through it, I rarely watch them.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:48 AM   #42
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I hear a growing number of people watch TV over antenna.

I should clarify that the "I watch TV less than 1 hour per month" option is essentially that you don't pay for cable, satellite...don't owner a TV, don't watch TV shows over the net...etc. But you might watch TV sometimes over a friend's house.

"a growing number !?

antenna is what started TV off !?

anyhow, antenna analogue currently; with digital on the sidelines and expected to become the default in due course (either this or next year).

I pay a mandatory BBC licence fee, don't see why I should pay anything more, so don't have satellite. no cable within 20 miles...Internet not an option, too expensive....(and unreliable!)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:43 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So is this poll ever going to be fixed so I can vote the proper answer of sitting down?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:44 AM   #44
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
.... or with senses ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote