Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2018, 10:41 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch615 View Post
Wow really down on modding here aren't we.

I don't think the solution to not being able to use a 400 dollar device how I want is to buy an 800 dollar device. I already have a Voyage for my normal books, I want to be able to read the comics and manga that are on my DX. Simple as that. Plus 800 bucks is more than half of my monthly pay, so no way. If I buy any new readers it's going to be an Oasis.

I'm not looking for something adjustable, just on. From what I can tell I should be able to embed the LEDs inside the front panel all around the screen. With the proper resistors I should be able to tune the light just how I want. The only real issue is where to draw the power from. I don't want to pull directly from the battery as that would require building some kind of PCB to regulate the power draw. These are 1mmx5umx2um SMD LEDs. As long as I can find a 3v source I should be able to wire the LEDs around the screen in series, slap a switch in front, and I'd be good to go. Heck I could even slap in a micro-ceramic trim pot to be able to adjust brightness.

And yeah, this is basically for the fun of it. Since it really hasn't been used in over a year I want to make this thing usable the way I want it. As I said, my big issue here is finding a power rail to draw from.
I didn't see any modding. Just a suggestion for a different reader.
Now how are we supposed to know your income? Just because someone suggests something is no reason to get upset because you can't afford/don't want it.

As to your original question, why don't you try to attach a light if you think it will work.
I may even have an idea. Buy you a string of small solar powered led lights. Take apart the DX. String the lights all around and under the screen. Attempt to put the DX back together. Now you will have a lighted DX. Whether it works or not may be another story.
Just turn the power box solar side down when you want the lights to turn on.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:20 AM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Wow really down on modding here aren't we.
No, not at all. But you did ask "is this a viable idea". I don't think it is, but I might be wrong!

Quote:
And yeah, this is basically for the fun of it. Since it really hasn't been used in over a year I want to make this thing usable the way I want it. As I said, my big issue here is finding a power rail to draw from.
Best of luck.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2018, 05:50 AM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The device I mentioned is not an $800 dollar device, my good man! However, if you want it to be that price, then by all means let it be $800.!

It's actually $379, I believe.

Also, there was (still is?) a 15% discount off of that $379 dollar ebook reader.

ADDED: See post #9.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-13-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I didn't see any modding. Just a suggestion for a different reader.
I think that in context, modding meant modifying, not moderating.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I had the Kandle clip lights back when I had the DX. I used two of the lights on the DX in a futile attempt at evenly lighting the screen.

I used the DX off and on for about a year, then sold it. It was too big, too heavy, and hard to light for night reading. The page turn buttons were only on one side which made it clumsy for me.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2018, 06:27 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The DX was a disaster. Just like the original iPad was a disaster.

Both companies made these devices with sub-par hardware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #22
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
My regret in not liking the DX was that it was a gift from my husband for a milestone I reached.

The person who bought it was thrilled to get it, and they paid a decent amount, $200, in 2013 or 2014 IIRC.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:15 AM   #23
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The DX was a disaster. Just like the original iPad was a disaster.

Both companies made these devices with sub-par hardware.
I used the DX for years without problems other than damaging a display by dropping a stainless steel coffee travel mug on one. I still like the large format display and note that a clean example goes for about $180 to $240 on ebay so I am not the only enthusiast. I also just got a Boox N96ML with the same size screen as the DX, but illuminated. Very briefly available on Amazon with a 15% discount from list price so it was about $280 plus the case.

Last edited by Richwood; 01-15-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #24
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
As I said, my big issue here is finding a power rail to draw from.
Just buy an old iPad with a broken screen and run the wires for the lights to the DX.

Or just get this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004DZBYXK

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-15-2018 at 06:55 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote