Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #61
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Glad to hear it worked for you. I tried to be as specific as possible, but if there is something I missed or is confusing let me know and I'll correct the post. I never use a USB cable to transfer files to my Android tablets. Transferring files by wireless is much easier, especially if you do it enough times.
It was easy but I don't have Win 7 I have Vista and I've already have a home network with my other PCs so I just put my PC's IP address in, checked anonymous and I was in.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #62
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It was easy but I don't have Win 7 I have Vista and I've already have a home network with my other PCs so I just put my PC's IP address in, checked anonymous and I was in.

That's the best way to do it if you know your PC's IP address and it never changes. I'll add that as an option. However, most people won't know their IP address and if their home Network uses DHCP (automatic IP addressing) the PC's IP address can change. In fact, if your Server (PC) ever drops off the LAN Shares list, chances are its IP address has changed. A Scan for Servers will find all PCs with Network Discovery enabled and will attempt log in anonymously. Anyway, I'm happy it worked for you and it definitely makes files transfers a breeze.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-17-2011 at 07:55 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #63
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's the best way to do it if you know your PC's IP address and it never changes. Most people won't know it and if your home router uses DHCP (automatic IP addressing) the PC's IP address can change. In fact, if your Server (PC) ever drops off the Server list chances are its IP address has changed. A Scan for Servers works for most LANs that use DHCP. Anyway, happy it worked for you and it definitely makes files transfers a breeze.
I deleted it then when back to scan instead and it's just says scanning for 3 minutes now. There only one PC and Tablet connected. How long does a scan take?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #64
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I deleted it then when back to scan instead and it's just says scanning for 3 minutes now. There only one PC and Tablet connected. How long does a scan take?

It usually only takes about 30-45 seconds total before it ends if NO Servers are present. Did you LONG press (press and hold) the PC (icon) you set up previously and Delete it before scanning? I wouldn't necessarily do this now if it is working for you, but if for some reason the Fire refuses to connect to the PC you will have manually drop it from the list if you entered a static IP address. Android normally will drop it automatically if it doesn't see it when using dynamic IP addressing.

I scanned my home Network and the Fire picked up my Network Enabled PC immediately, and continued to scan about 20-30 seconds before ending. However, once the desired PC pops up you can end the scan with the back arrow icon.

Also, one thing I failed to mention, but have since added, is if your PC or router has a Firewall you need to make sure the Trust Level is set to Share. For example in Norton 2011, under Network Security click on Network Security Map, Edit Network Details, and Edit the trust Level to Shared. Other Security Suites will obviously be different but similar.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-17-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #65
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
It usually only takes about 30-45 seconds total before it ends if NO Servers are present. Did you LONG press (press and hold) the PC (icon) you set up previously and Delete it before scanning? I wouldn't necessarily do this now if it is working for you, but if for some reason the Fire refuses to connect to the PC you will have manually drop it from the list if you entered a static IP address. Android normally will drop it automatically if it doesn't see it when using dynamic IP addressing.

I scanned my home Network and the Fire picked up my Network Enabled PC immediately, and continued to scan about 20-30 seconds before ending. However, once the desired PC pops up you can end the scan with the back arrow icon.

Also, one thing I failed to mention, but have since added, is if your PC or router has a Firewall you need to make sure the Trust Level is set to Share. For example in Norton 2011, under Network Security click on Network Security Map, Edit Network Details, and Edit the trust Level to Shared. Other Security Suites will obviously be different but similar.
I finally just hit the back button and it worked that way. I think it got stuck. I have an old router so it probably got confused.
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #66
dukefingaz
dukefingaz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
You can watch .avi's by downloading ASTRO file manager and clicking on the avi file. I've been watching like this. It's HD-beautiful! ** Correction: I watch in VLC MediaPlayer, after I click in ASTRO. Sorry, I wasn't precise enough. But this does play .avi

QUOTE=dukefingaz;1836191]does anyone know how to load your own videos and what format it needs to be in for the kindle fire
[/QUOTE]

I actually upload an .avi file and watched it through the gallery, just loaded it to the pictures folder. no need for the vlc player.
dukefingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #67
dukefingaz
dukefingaz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
cloud

has anyone tried to load any books to the cloud and gotten them to show up on the fire yet?
dukefingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #68
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
Good morning!

Is anyone else having trouble getting Pulse to update? I'm still looking at the same stupid stories that were there on Wednesday, despite hitting the "refresh all" button like I'm a monkey looking for a hit of cocaine!
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #69
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
I finally just hit the back button and it worked that way. I think it got stuck. I have an old router so it probably got confused.

Could be because your router is old, who knows. OK, now that you have done it the hard way, I'm going to offer a simpler way of doing using a Web Browser on your PC. The hard way is still good to know.

Wi-Fi File Explorer let's you easily transfer files (Apps, Documents, Movies, Music etc.) from your PC to your Fire using a Web Browser on your PC, without using a USB cable. This App requires that you are connected to a wireless network. When you enter the File Explorer Web URL address into a browser on your PC you are looking at your Fire's Directory Structure. Real simple to use. Make sure you enter the ENTIRE address in your web browser as it appears in the File Explorer Web URL Screen of the App. For example: 192.168.1.47:8000

Note: You should Exit the App once you are done using it otherwise it could interfere with screen saving etc. (Options Bar --> MENU --> Exit). More specifically from the App description: PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.

Older Version: [Deleted unauthorised download URL]

UPDATE: Thanks to Blossom who tested a newer version of this App from Amazon for a whopping 99 cents. Trust me, this is one App you will want to have.

http://www.amazon.com/Dooblou-WiFi-F...1641082&sr=1-1

Amazon offers a free version as well: http://www.amazon.com/Dooblou-WiFi-F...1641082&sr=1-2

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-21-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: WiFi File Explorer PRO isn't free.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #70
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
How to get the word 'kindle' in your device name in orange

This is a very minor thing, but I noticed that after I changed the name of my device to 'My Kindle', the word 'kindle' in the top left of the device was no longer orange. I changed it to 'my kindle' and it's orange again. Not important, but it's a little aesthetic thing that adds a nice touch.

So the word 'kindle' needs to be in lowercase.

To change your device name, go to the Amazon web site and then find the link to Manager Your Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...#manageDevices
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #71
jswinden
Nameless Being

Stopping unnecessary apps from draining the battery and slowing performance

If you have never owned an Android device before the Fire, then you might not be aware that apps often don't really close when you exit them. If you are not careful you can wind up with a lot of running apps that can become a drain on your battery and slow down the Fire's performance. There are apps available that can help manage this issue.

Another way is to manually stop unnecessary apps from running by pressing Quick Menu --> More --> Applications then select Running Applications in the Filter by field. This displays a list of all currently running apps along with how many processes and services each uses.

To stop an app from running, select the app from the list and on the screen that is displayed press the Force Stop button.

Some of these probably should be left running like Settings, Amazon Device Client Platform, Kindle Keyboard, etc. But some are simply apps you opened hours ago and thought were closed when you exited them. Use your judgement and close the unnecessary apps and this will help battery and power performance.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #72
mpeg2
Connoisseur
mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm not sure you really need to actively kill apps that you're not using. Android (the basis of the Kindle Fire OS) has a very good memory management system. These apps that you're "killing" are probably not taking any CPU & minimal memory usage - however, they're sitting in the background, available for much quicker loading. If memory is needed, Android will clear it for you.

On the Android phones, there was a brief period where people were using app killers to clean things up - only to discover that they consumed more memory and battery by doing so. Now the recommendation is to simply let Android take care of it for you.

Rich
mpeg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #73
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeg2 View Post
I'm not sure you really need to actively kill apps that you're not using. Android (the basis of the Kindle Fire OS) has a very good memory management system. These apps that you're "killing" are probably not taking any CPU & minimal memory usage - however, they're sitting in the background, available for much quicker loading. If memory is needed, Android will clear it for you.

On the Android phones, there was a brief period where people were using app killers to clean things up - only to discover that they consumed more memory and battery by doing so. Now the recommendation is to simply let Android take care of it for you.

Rich
There are a few exceptions but for the most part this is true. Some apps gets stuck or are buggy and need to be close the way Jack mention.

I notices the Fire does a really good job of closing apps better then my phone which leaves them running. I accidentally left Tune In Radio running in the notifications bar now that's example of an app I forgot to closed.

KF has yet to go past 40% battery life past 16 hours. This thing has an excellent battery if you keep WiFi off when not in use!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #74
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Could be because your router is old, who knows. OK, now that you have done it the hard way, I'm going to offer a simpler way of doing using a Web Browser on your PC. The hard way is still good to know.

Wi-Fi File Explorer let's you easily transfer files (Apps, Documents, Movies, Music etc.) from your PC to your Fire using a Web Browser on your PC, without using a USB cable. This App requires that you are connected to a wireless network. When you enter the File Explorer Web URL address into a browser on your PC you are looking at your Fire's Directory Structure. Real simple to use. Make sure you enter the ENTIRE address in your web browser as it appears in the File Explorer Web URL Screen of the App.
Thanks I got it from the App Store (newer version) for 99 Cents! I'm off to try it!

Update: It works great! THANK YOU!!! Well worth the price.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-21-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #75
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeg2 View Post

Rich
Last night my KFire got sluggish so I checked and found a lot of apps needlessly running. Stopping them immediately ended the sluggish performance.