Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
floriano
Enthusiast
floriano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Duokan and dictionaries

Hello,
I recently installed the English Duokan firmware, which seems to be a good alternative to the original firmware, particularly regarding the better pdf support.

I am struggling a bit with the built-in dictionary support. I read that it is possible to use stardict dictionaries with Duokan. However I woudl like to be able to use the dictionaries which have been delivered with my kindle 3 (eg the oxford dictionary).

Furthermore I would like to be able to use them as easy as with the original firmware, meaning that I just have to move the cursor to the word I want to lookup and the dictionary content appears on the screen. Since I don't want to use freedict dictionaries and was not able to get my preinstalled dictionaries working I could not find out whether this feature is supported or not. But the FAQs do not mention this way of accessing the dictionary.

EDIT:
I tried to use a stardict dictionary (copied the idx, ifo and dict files to DK_System\system\dict\) but when launching the dictionary I get a blank screen, followed by a progress bar of Duokan (for about 2 seconds) and it returns back to the main screen.

Looking forward for help!

Last edited by floriano; 01-24-2011 at 06:27 PM.
floriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
You should have a 4th file named gcide.dict.dz (I think you need to unzip this one before copying it over). Then you need to do a restart.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
floriano
Enthusiast

The .dict file us the unzipped .gz file. After a reboot I am still having the same problem.

EDIT:
After some investigation I figured out that the dictionary is available in reading mode, i.e. I move the cursor to a word and the translation pops up on the screen. However, the font size is so large that only one or two words of the dictionary entry appear. If I press the A button to see the full dictionary entry the Duokan progress bar appears again and it returns to the main menu.

Last edited by floriano; 01-25-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
floriano
Enthusiast

Ok I solved the problem with the dictionary crash. I had to go to the dictionary settings using Alt+R and delete a dictionary called "UNLL".

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the oxford dictionaries which are shipped with the kindle 3?

Is there a way to resize the window that pops up when using the dictionary in reading mode? I would like to have 1/3 of the screen for the dictionary preview. With that I don't have to press A every time I want to look up a word.

Last edited by floriano; 01-25-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
From https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?t=105847:
How do I install a StarDict dictionary file?

* Download a StarDict format dictionary from one of the above sites
* Extract three files with the following suffixes (using 7-Zip): dz, idx, ifo
* The file ending dz is also compressed file so extract open it (again with 7-Zip or similar program)
* Now we have four files: Dz Idx Ifo Dict.
* Copy the idx, ifo, and dict files to DK_System\system\dict\
* Multiple dictionaries can be installed
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
floriano
Enthusiast

@montalex:
i sorted this issue, as my previous post suggests. But still some unresolved issues..

Thanks anyway
Old 08-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
henix
henix began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hello. I have just installed 多看 on my kindle. Surprisingly DK_System directory does not have a system subdirectory. Instead I found the following path which had already contained the files for Oxford dictionary: DK_System\xKindle\res\dict

So I copied the three files .ifo .idx and .dict for a Chinese - English dictionary into that directory. But my kindle does not seem to recognize those files Any idea? Thank you.
henix is offline   Reply With Quote