Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
Filename length

I just made a backup by saving my library, then zipping it and then removing the backup. Windows did state upon deleting it could not move the files to recycle bin due to some files have to long filename. I wonder if to long filenames could cause other problems and if there's a solution for it?
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN View Post
I just made a backup by saving my library, then zipping it and then removing the backup. Windows did state upon deleting it could not move the files to recycle bin due to some files have to long filename. I wonder if to long filenames could cause other problems and if there's a solution for it?
Shorter filenames. Seriously. Windows has a limit to length of a filename, which includes the entire file path. If you have a file buried in many layers of folders, each folder name gets added to the entire filepath name (not sure of the correct teminology). The more folder names that get added, the less room you will have for the actual filename. Either you will have to shorten the file name or eliminate some folders from the filepath.

If you are just deleting some files that have too long a name, just rename them to something shorter, then drag them to the recycle bin.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
LGN
Connoisseur

I understand that issue Lady Fitzgerald. I'm just wondering if it might become an issue when, for example I would unzit it to a folder which causes the filename to be to long thus causing a problem. I myself know the issue and make sure I extract it in a root folder, but eventually there might be a time I would use a Windows version which possibly not allow the use of the root folder. (Not sure, I use XP Pro, but my laptop with Vista home basic dissalows access to a lot of places. Yeah I know, vista sucks

So the problem is not that I need to place the content into the recycle bin, bust a worry about if there's other pitholes which could come from this.

Thanks for your reply, btw.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simplest solution is to stop using windows. calibre guarantees that all paths it creates in the library are less than 255 characters long. So you shouldn't have any problems zipping.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
LGN
Connoisseur

Thanks for the responce.

Not using Windows isn't a real option I'm afraid.

I thought the best way backing up was to save all to disk first instead of zipping the original folder where Calibre stores its books.

Offtopic:Related to saving files, i got one book in the author folder A but cannot find that book with only A as author.
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN View Post
Offtopic:Related to saving files, i got one book in the author folder A but cannot find that book with only A as author.
Run Check Library and see if the folder still exists in calibre's database.
Check Library is the library pull-down, under libary maintenance.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:39 AM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I thought the best way backing up was to save all to disk first instead of zipping the original folder where Calibre stores its books.
Zipping is just as good or copying whole library and both are faster AFAIK.

Perhaps better as saving to disk may or may not embed custom column info etc.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:20 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Perhaps better as saving to disk may or may not embed custom column info etc.
Zipping the library is much better. It will capture the database as well as the books.

A complete backup will also save the configuration folder, which is not in the library.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #9
LGN
Connoisseur

I thought about using save book because it would actually easy be imported on my other PC without having the settings in case somethings are different on both PCs. Its worth to look into though

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Run Check Library and see if the folder still exists in calibre's database.
Check Library is the library pull-down, under libary maintenance.
Thanks about the tip of library check.. It came up with one 'Extra title' and 1 invalid author ( metadata.opf ) Seems to be in root.

The extra title is a book without a metadata.opf file. and doesnt show up on search. The metadata.opf and extra book don't belong together.