Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #271
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm not sure what kind of projection is going on with this post.

At least where I am e-readers (even Kindles) aren't so common that I am likely to benefit from some sort of supposed reflected glory by using one. Most people are too busy looking at their own phones/tablets/e-readers to worry about my device and if anything, it would look like I am using a mini-tablet.
With that hat of yours I am surprised people aren't clustering near you to avoid the sun.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #272
AnotherCat
Me
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
With that hat of yours I am surprised people aren't clustering near you to avoid the sun.
The bandolier is a bit scary though and a bad looking hombre, one wouldn't want to have him think one was staring at him though.

Is a hat that big still a sombrero?
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:31 PM   #273
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
Quote:
The hat is gold, so I don't want people clustering.

Heavy is the head that wears the gold hat.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #274
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
The bandolier is a bit scary though and a bad looking hombre, one wouldn't want to have him think one was staring at him though.

Is a hat that big still a sombrero?
Staring is fine. Just don't ask about badges.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:35 PM   #275
rcentros
Grump
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: DFW, TX // Nook Simple Touch & ST w/GL, Kobo Touch, Kindle
Device: Keyboard, 4, Touch, Basic 8: Sony T2, 300, 350, 505, 600, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The hat is gold, so I don't want people clustering.

Heavy is the head that wears the gold hat.
Tablets? Tablets! I don't need no stinking tablets!
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:23 PM   #276
rcentros
Grump
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kobo Touch (after touring the outskirts of the city for the last three days) finally arrived today. I like it much better than the Glo or the WiFi. I'll probably be reviewing it and asking some questions in the Kobo forum.
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #277
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3 and 505, Amazon Kindle PaperWhite 2, HTC Nexus 9
Quote:
But when in public perhaps with flavors of comfort from the silent announcement of "I am a dedicated reader of books, having my ereader shows that is so", with the hoped silent reaction of "Oh, he is a reader of books" (Or from those of us familiar with the constraints of E Ink's abilities "Oh, he is a reader of fiction").
Hahaha!

But actually, one of the reasons I like reader devices is because people can't see my lurid book covers . When you consider it, who are those most likely to be reading in public? Not readers of serious, heavy works. Most likely they are the addicted genre readers (whether that genre be romance, SF&F, thrillers or what have you) and I don't think that carries much imagined prestige at all.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM   #278
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Hahaha!

But actually, one of the reasons I like reader devices is because people can't see my lurid book covers . When you consider it, who are those most likely to be reading in public? Not readers of serious, heavy works. Most likely they are the addicted genre readers (whether that genre be romance, SF&F, thrillers or what have you) and I don't think that carries much imagined prestige at all.
I am amazed. You mean people with ereaders read something besides Bleak House, War & Peace and Phantom of the Opera. I thought you were supposed to read heavy books.
*Disclaimer : I probably need more coffee.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM   #279
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Lenovo A10-70, Motorola Z2 Play, 1st Gen Kindle Fire
Quote:
I am amazed. You mean people with ereaders read something besides Bleak House, War & Peace and Phantom of the Opera. I thought you were supposed to read heavy books.
*Disclaimer : I probably need more coffee.
Will those books make my paperwhite weigh more? I've never tried to read a heavy book.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #280
AnotherCat
Me
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... I thought you were supposed to read heavy books...
An ereader, tablet or phone certainly makes them as light as light books .
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM   #281
AnotherCat
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Tablets? Tablets! I don't need no stinking tablets!
Ah, you are catching on.

As I have been saying phones and tablets don't give the street cred for attracting silent admiration of one as being a reading person. Ereaders are what one has to use. A big old clunky ereader of the ancient first Kindle and Sony types do even better for attracting the quiet admiration of others for one being a real reading enthusiast - rather like driving a classic car down the street does.
Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM   #282
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Will those books make my paperwhite weigh more? I've never tried to read a heavy book.
Don't be silly! You can't judge the weight of a book by it's content. You have to count the 1's and 0's in the book. 1's weigh more than 0's and therefore increase the weight of the device.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:25 AM   #283
rcentros
Grump

Quote:
Ah, you are catching on.

As I have been saying phones and tablets don't give the street cred for attracting silent admiration of one as being a reading person. Ereaders are what one has to use. A big old clunky ereader of the ancient first Kindle and Sony types do even better for attracting the quiet admiration of others for one being a real reading enthusiast - rather like driving a classic car down the street does.
I don't read in public anyhow. It's an embarrassment to be known as a "reading creature" these days. And, since I don't use smartphones for Facebook or Twitter or Instagram, or whatever the newest non-social, isolation app might be called ... I've taken to slinking around empty streets at night, hiding in the shadows when (unexpectedly) others stroll silently past, their faces illuminated by the glow of their smartphones. Every now and then one of them is startled when their phone rings, wondering "whatever could that mean?" But, eventually, the ringing stops and they continue on their way, ever engrossed in glow, not even remotely aware of my presence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soulsucking.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	161654  

Last edited by rcentros; Today at 01:38 AM. Reason: Added image
Old Today, 03:37 AM   #284
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Hahaha!

Some of my ebooks include books by Galileo, Darwin and Dawkins in addition to much lighter stuff and classics like Verne's novels. If you look on Amazon the number of classics available at nominal cost as ebooks is amazing.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:59 AM   #285
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon, Kobo & Insignia Tablets & eReaders
Happy I Did / Do have another e-reader that Not Amazon Device! Last month EVERYTHING Amazon Crashed also taking out my external HD & PC!! I Lost ebooks & MP3 AutioBooks on the Fires & PW! Lucky for me the Kobo had/has Most of my e-books So instead of having 3500+ I now Only have the 1900 on the Kobo! Wished I would have finished DL ALL my ebook to the Kobo Wished I made Backup copies of my Audiobooks...cant get them back
PC backup and running, But it Still wont recognize the 2 Fires. PW works 1/2 a$$ed
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote