Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #31
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I was a bit like that until I got my Kindle Fire. Now I am content. :-)
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #32
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Damn you all! I just bought a Paperwhite 2 after this discussion.

I actually feel really guilty now.

I've been wanting another e-ink reader for a long time now. My iPad Mini is really heavy.
Sometimes, it is just easier "TO GO FOR IT!"

No excuses, needed, or given.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #33
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I get tempted a lot. A lot. Mostly by ereaders and cameras - cameras have been my weakness for years, although I haven't bought a new one in months (and that was after my last compact died) and my latest DSLR is two years old now, so I guess that's something.

Ereaders, too - I love my Paperwhite but I keep being tempted by the Kobo Aura HD for its size, and the Paperwhite 2 is tempting me as well, although the only new feature it has that actually matters to me somewhat (since my current Paperwhite has perfectly wonderful and uniform lighting at the light levels I read at) is the pop-up footnote thing.

I don't read a lot of books with footnotes, but since I had to cave and re-buy a few in paper last year, after having bought them as ebooks and being driven to frustration by the way footnotes worked on both the Kindle 3 and the Kindle iPad app, it's something I really want. On the other hand, I really don't read a lot of books with footnotes and I'd assume there is a possibility Amazon could add it to 1st generation Paperwhites in a software update, so... getting a new reader just for that feels rather foolish.

But I'm still tempted.

I've been tempted by the Sony T2 (and now T3), and the Kobo Mini, and ... so far I've managed to talk reason to myself and not buy them. Because I really don't need them.

I'm just seriously glad my gadget-desire doesn't include phones. I've only owned three mobile phones in my life and the second one was bought since my first one was stolen. I only gave in and replaced my Nokia 5140i, which had served me dutifully for six years, in 2011 when I decided to go for a smartphone, and my Samsung Galaxy SII is more than enough phone for me for a while yet, I think.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:07 AM   #34
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Similar for me.
Only difference:
My main motivation isn't the thought, my old unit might be dated.
For me, main fun with any new gadgets are the first 2 days. Figuring out the system, tuning it, rooting it and such. When I'm bored or frustrated, those 2 days with a new gadget often are the best distraction I can think of. Too often, I fear...
So, when will you open your museum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I rarely buy "new" devices, because right now I just don't have the budget for it. Nearly all of my "new" electronics I buy are actually used. That doesn't mean I don't experience new gadget envy, it just means that I never get to act on it. Which I suppose is a good thing, since I indulge my electronic addiction way too much already. I can't imagine what it would be like if I had the money to buy the new ones as well.
For me, a new device is a new device for me. It doesn't have to be new on the market. I bought my first e-ink just as it came out, but that's because I didn't have to replace an "old" device. I bought my Sony as it came out because it's still easier to explain how a device works over the phone if you actually have that device close by (my mother had bought one and she lives 1500km away...). But my tablet was already a year old (the model, that is) by the time I got mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I've been tempted by the Sony T2 (and now T3), and the Kobo Mini, and ... so far I've managed to talk reason to myself and not buy them. Because I really don't need them.
Yes, I've been doing that too... Talking myself out of getting it. And then the new version comes along and then I'll congratulate me for not buying the previous version!

Quote:
I'm just seriously glad my gadget-desire doesn't include phones. I've only owned three mobile phones in my life and the second one was bought since my first one was stolen. I only gave in and replaced my Nokia 5140i, which had served me dutifully for six years, in 2011 when I decided to go for a smartphone, and my Samsung Galaxy SII is more than enough phone for me for a while yet, I think.
Yes, strangely enough, I'm not into phones either. I have had a few more phones, but that's because they all died on me (or drowned on me...). I got my first smartphone last year (Nokia Lumia 800) and this year I replaced it with a 920 (as we decided to go for a data part in our phone subscription and I still think the 800 has a too small screen to use for internet). But I expect to do a long time with that 920.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #35
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Similar for me.
Only difference:
My main motivation isn't the thought, my old unit might be dated.
For me, main fun with any new gadgets are the first 2 days. Figuring out the system, tuning it, rooting it and such. When I'm bored or frustrated, those 2 days with a new gadget often are the best distraction I can think of. Too often, I fear...
Holy crap.....you have 70 tablets and readers combined????? That really is an addiction. An expensive addition.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #36
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Although I keep looking for new devices all the time, I am not an addict for buying them yet. I analyse so much before buying that by the time I decide to buy one, the next generation gets launched and I start looking again. The only time I break is when a device gets heavy discount such as nook touch.
P.S. Nexus 7 was another exception.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #37
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I envy you. I'm obsessed with smartphones. I've owned a BlackBerry Bold, BlackBerry Torch, iPhone 3GS/4/4S/5. And now my daily driver is an HTC One. The Note 3 is tempting but I'm really happy with the HTC One so I see no reason buying it. After years of using Apple products I've recently made the switch to Android, I also replaced my iPad 3 (my only tablet) with a Nexus 7 (2013). However, I still use a MacBook

And now, I'm considering the new Paperwhite. But I really like my first gen Paperwhite and I'm not sure if I should get it now or maybe I will wait a few months. The only reason I'm considering it is because my Paperwhite sometimes freezes for a few seconds.

Last edited by Gazella; 11-07-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #38
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I am not an addict. Primarily because the price in Sweden is rather high. But my sister is going to NY in Dec and I asked her to buy an Nexus for me .
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #39
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Glad I found this thread. Now I can order my paperwhite 2 and not feel guilty
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #40
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
I am hopelessly addicted, but my affliction is product specific.

Smart phone don't interest me, after my ancient blackberry died I begged a hand me down phone from my wife. I am not even sure what brand it is.

The newest tablets are not even on my radar. I have an old Samsung gtab that works just fine.

My obsession is with ereaders. I have four kindles and four kobos. I've been on the verge of buying a nook several.times. Since reading is a hobby that consumes me, that's how I have justified (rationalized? ) every purchase.

I don't live extravagantly in any other way so I am giving myself permission to have a silly number of ereaders.

Now that I've talked myself into it, when is the new Kobo/Kindle coming out?

Grin...
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #41
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I don't really need anything. My current 'stuff' is better than good enough. I even have a Nokia 920 that I haven't tried to use (I didn't buy it my ex roommate gave it to me and I will probably give it back because I haven't actually used it in two week I have had it).

But... I will probably have to buy something soon because every so often I get an urge to treat myself. Sometimes I can get over this buy buying something for my mother or sister instead and sometimes I can't.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #42
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
I own about 4 cameras, Just purchase the Kindle PW2, i also have the DX and the K3, but hardly ever use the K3.
I upgraded my iphone 4 with the Samsung Note2, now eyeing off either the nexus 7 or ipad mini, i prefer the android devices, but sad to say we are in a fringe area and the wireless on apple products i just find stronger than the android devices.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #43
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
I have found that too, but it probably does depend specifically on each device, there are good and bad.

I love my iPad Mini (1st gen), but for reading books, I'm glad I have the Glo. My daughter was in hospital overnight a couple of months ago, and I spent several hours reading on the iPad. By the time my husband came with supplies (including my Glo), the Mini's battery was severely drained. I got to continue reading to my heart's content on the Glo and really appreciated it for that purpose. I rarely use the iPad for reading now, but still have it available.
spersephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #44
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
My first dedicated ebook reader was something like $400. When I see something that I thought about owning, say, 2 years later for $50 in a clearout sale I can't resist. I have the first Kobo and the Kobo Vox. I've had and given away to family Kindle 1, 2, 3. I still have my original Kindle Fire. I have a Galaxy Tab 2 and have been looking at the 10" for some time. I've had iPad 1, 2 and 3. I still have the 3 and the rest are with others. It is a sickness.

I have been in control because I plan to get myself a new Mac Pro for X-mas/Birthday gift to myself and at 3k everything else can wait. My old Mac Pro is over 7 years and can not be upgraded to new OS anymore, time to go.

Last edited by pagansoul; 11-13-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: more
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #45
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Good thing I am happy with Kindles because my Hubby would go nuts if I ordered many more e-readers. Not over the money spent, we each have an allowance, but over the need for more e-readers. He thought I was nuts to want a PW2 when I have a K3, DXG, and K1. And an iPad...
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote