Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
bozobon
bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.

Device: pocketbook touch hd 3
Pipe Symbol

So on my Pocketbook Touch HD 3 keyboard, there is no pipe symbol (it looks like this: | ). This is a problem because the wifi password has that symbol in it, and I cannot connect to the network. Do any of you know how to get that symbol, because I already asked my parents to change the wifi password and they wouldn't. Thanks!
bozobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
A shot in the dark...

Could you create a text file with password, copy it to the reader, and use cut and paste?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
bozobon
bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.bozobon is no e-book dilettante.

i tried, it won't even let me highlight the symbol, even though it displays it, and I couldn't find a copy function anyways. Thanks for trying to help though!
Old 11-09-2020, 09:01 PM   #4
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Do you live in an apartment, or condo, or some place where other homes are close, maybe just a wall separating you, or in a dense urban area? There are other punctuation characters that could be used instead of the pipe symbol, the 1 or the / for example. I can understand wanting a hard to crack password if your family is using their bank over the wifi, but it's just for that reason that I only do my banking (or anything involving money) on my PC that's connected to the router with a cable.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:12 PM   #5
bozobon

No, it's not that, they just don't want to change the password, they aren't concerned about having another symbol in place, it's just that they don't want to change it, I already asked.
Advert
Old 11-09-2020, 09:35 PM   #6
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
(accidental repost).
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:25 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozobon View Post
No, it's not that, they just don't want to change the password, they aren't concerned about having another symbol in place, it's just that they don't want to change it, I already asked.
Many (if not most) modern routers have a Guest Mode that can have a separate password. Do you have access to the router? If so, maybe you check to see if it has a Guest Mode and turn it on (and give it a PocketBook friendly password). Guest mode gives guests access to the Internet, but (I believe) it will not give access to the computers and devices on the home network.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
Kleki
Connoisseur
Kleki doesn't litterKleki doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (+ an old Hanlin V3)
You can change the keyboard layout by creating a .kbd file in the device's system folder system\language\keyboard. It's a text file you can easily edit and copy to your device when connected via USB.

Mine looks like this for example:

Dz.kbd
Code:
Dz: Deutsch2
äöüß:;!?"()
`1234567890
qwertyuio
asdfghjkl
zxcvbnmp'
 =+-~ .,*/ 
ÄÖÜß:;!?"()
`1234567890
QWERTYUIO
ASDFGHJKL
ZXCVBNMP'
 =+-~ .,*/ 
--
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 bs
q w e r t z u i o p ü
a s d f g h j k l ö ä
< y x c v b n m , . lg
sh nu \ sp:4   ' - ok:2
--
! " - $ % & / ( ) = bs
Q W E R T Z U I O P Ü
A S D F G H J K L Ö Ä
> Y X C V B N M ; : lg
sh nu + sp:4   * _ ok:2
--
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 bs
! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) @
+ - * / \ = € " ' [ ]
| ~ ` ÿ / ? < > { } lg
sh nu \ sp:4 . , ok:2
--
Not sure what the upper block is good for but the lower three blocks define the characters on the keyboard for standard, caps and numbers. Each single character represents itself and then there are a few special characters:

bs backspace
lg language switching
ok enter
sh shift
nu number keyboard
sp space

I'm not sure anymore if it is enough copying that file into the keyboard folder or if it has to be activated in one of the config files. Just give it a try.
Kleki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #9
bozobon

i tried adding my own file, called PI.extkbd (which is the files of the other keyboards) and i couldn't find it when went to add it as a keyboard layout. Do you know if I have to enable that or something? Thanks
Old 11-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
bozobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Many (if not most) modern routers have a Guest Mode that can have a separate password. Do you have access to the router? If so, maybe you check to see if it has a Guest Mode and turn it on (and give it a PocketBook friendly password). Guest mode gives guests access to the Internet, but (I believe) it will not give access to the computers and devices on the home network.
It does have a guest mode but it is controlled by my parents' phones and since the pocketbook has a browser they only want me reading books. So also is there a way to get the browser off the pocketbook to a location on my pc so they can turn on guest wifi and not be worried about me going on the browser?
Old 11-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #11
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
If you go into Settings->Languages->Keyboard Layouts, you should be able to add your new keyboard as one of the three layouts. You can switch to that layout when the keyboard pops up (using the key that shows the layout name, e.g. EN, DE,...).
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #12
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Quote:
i tried adding my own file, called PI.extkbd (which is the files of the other keyboards) and i couldn't find it when went to add it as a keyboard layout. Do you know if I have to enable that or something? Thanks
Rename it into PI.kbd and put it into this folder:
/system/language/keyboard
Activate it via selecting it:
Settings/Languages/Keyboardlayouts

If this is not working you should post your keyboard file here to give as some hints what went wrong.

Edit: Just saw that Rob was quicker.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #13
bozobon

I know how to switch the layout, it's just that the layout that I made isn't an option in there
Old 11-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #14
Kleki
Connoisseur
Kleki doesn't litterKleki doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (+ an old Hanlin V3)
Quote:
The ending has to be .kbd not .extkbd. Don't get confused by the other files in that folder.

On my keyboard there is one key which enables cycling through all available keyboard layouts (the "lg" placeholder), EN - DE - DZ in my case.

There is a reference to the keyboard layouts in my system\config\global.cfg but I don't think I put them there.
Code:
kbdlayout.1=DE: Deutsch
kbdlayout.2=Dz: Deutsch2
kbdlayout.3=EN: English
Kleki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #15
bozobon

Alright everyone, thanks for your help, this worked after a lot of tries and I connected successfully. Thanks!

Tags
keyboard, pockebook