Notices

Old 03-29-2024, 05:48 AM   #1
mmc_meneses
Enthusiast
mmc_meneses doesn't littermmc_meneses doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thinking about change my ereader - Libra 2

Hi good morning and happy easter

I am a happy user of Kobo Libra 2 for the two last years (before i had Sony PRS T3, and even before the T1).

Actually my use of the reader is just from home and as i do not carry with me out of home i was thinking to sell it and get something bigger in size... do you think i may go for a Sage or a Elipsa?

I use to read mainly epubs but sometimes i need to access also to professional pdf, still libra 2 is quite not useful for that as for the screen size and also the smoothness on page flippng... will this be a bit better on sage or elipsa?

Letting out of the equation the screen size, which one is better in quality-price? I was thinking about second hand market so price will be around 350 for a elipsa and 250 for a sage. I was planning to get around 150 for my libra 2 (still in guarantee). I am quite a hungry reader so the amortization of the difference in price is going to be quite fast...!

At the moment i am not going to make much use of the notepad habilities of the elipsa...but maybe in the future, also i do have a tablet for that mathers, on the other hand i like the light capabilities of notepad of the sage that i think could match my actual usage.

In case i would choose the Sage, makes the change sense? I heard about some battery issues with it...it is solved through any homebrew tricks or fw updates?

Any advices for webpages with community improvements for Sage or elipsa like the one in spanish (sadly just for old models...)

https://kobo.lectoreselectronicos.com/index.html

Thanks for the opinions !!!

Last edited by mmc_meneses; 03-29-2024 at 10:08 AM.
mmc_meneses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:52 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've a Libra 2, Sage and an Elipsa.
I find the Elipsa slightly too small for all PDFs and far too big and heavy for reading novels. So I read all novels and many smaller PDF manuals/instructions on the Sage. The Sage actually has more pixels than the Elipsa, not just the higher 300 ppi.

Keep the Libra 2 for going out as it fits more coat pockets!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2024, 09:44 AM   #3
mmc_meneses
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've a Libra 2, Sage and an Elipsa.
I find the Elipsa slightly too small for all PDFs and far too big and heavy for reading novels. So I read all novels and many smaller PDF manuals/instructions on the Sage. The Sage actually has more pixels than the Elipsa, not just the higher 300 ppi.

Keep the Libra 2 for going out as it fits more coat pockets!
Thanks for the answer...

Actually i do not want to keep 2 ereaders, i want something versatile but a bit bigger, my concerns on going straight for Sage is the battery issues that i ve found on the web.

Basically i use the reader at home, most of the time to read epub in the bed before sleep.

Thanks for any advices !!!
Old 03-29-2024, 10:18 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The Sage has a rather poor battery life (meaning, it lasts for a few days - for me; as it depends on the frontlight level, wifi/bluetooth being on or not etc. it may last more or less for you). It can't be improved, by what I've read. The most you can do is to turn off the frontlight, wifi and bluetooth. I do keep wifi off, but the frontlight on at low levels, as I don't want to read without it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 12:11 PM   #5
mmc_meneses
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Sage has a rather poor battery life (meaning, it lasts for a few days - for me; as it depends on the frontlight level, wifi/bluetooth being on or not etc. it may last more or less for you). It can't be improved, by what I've read. The most you can do is to turn off the frontlight, wifi and bluetooth. I do keep wifi off, but the frontlight on at low levels, as I don't want to read without it.
So, @sirtel, you recommend me an upgrade or no? I mean as you have both ereader... Do you think is worth the change from libra 2 to sage, difference may be around 100€

Any webpages with fw updates etc that you can suggest?

Thanks
Advert
Old 03-29-2024, 12:22 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc_meneses View Post
So, @sirtel, you recommend me an upgrade or no? I mean as you have both ereader... Do you think is worth the change from libra 2 to sage, difference may be around 100€

Any webpages with fw updates etc that you can suggest?

Thanks
Hard to say. For just reading epubs, maybe not. Then again, different people have different preferences. The Sage feels a bit more comfortable to hold for me, as it's thinner, and it's also faster; the drawback is its (relatively) poor battery life and the screen on mine is worse than on the Libra 2 (the frontlight is uneven and greenish, while on my Libra it's perfect). Frontlight quality of course varies from device to device, so you may get lucky with your Sage.

As to tips, personally I only use patches. The link to them is here (also includes the page with firmware updates):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=356106
Old 03-29-2024, 12:46 PM   #7
mmc_meneses
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Hard to say. For just reading epubs, maybe not. Then again, different people have different preferences. The Sage feels a bit more comfortable to hold for me, as it's thinner, and it's also faster; the drawback is its (relatively) poor battery life and the screen on mine is worse than on the Libra 2 (the frontlight is uneven and greenish, while on my Libra it's perfect). Frontlight quality of course varies from device to device, so you may get lucky with your Sage.

As to tips, personally I only use patches. The link to them is here (also includes the page with firmware updates):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=356106
You can tell me if you find any improvement in screen resolution, can you feel the difference?
Also funny fact is that in flea market pages you can find many libra 2 on sale but not that much Sage... does it means something? Normally may be because the person who got one is happy with it...

Looks like i am looking for excuses for the upgrade, but i am happy with my Libra 2, only thing is the size, being 7" is not an extra for me as i do not carry it with me out of home.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2024, 12:51 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

The resolution is the same on both - 300 ppi. The text on the Libra is a tiny bit sharper (the reason is probably its recessed screen). If you meant the screen size, then yeah, I slightly prefer 8'' over 7'', but I can comfortably read on either.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:12 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi good morning and happy easter

I am a happy user of Kobo Libra 2 for the two last years (before i had Sony PRS T3, and even before the T1).

Actually my use of the reader is just from home and as i do not carry with me out of home i was thinking to sell it and get something bigger in size... do you think i may go for a Sage or a Elipsa?

I use to read mainly epubs but sometimes i need to access also to professional pdf, still libra 2 is quite not useful for that as for the screen size and also the smoothness on page flippng... will this be a bit better on sage or elipsa?

Letting out of the equation the screen size, which one is better in quality-price? I was thinking about second hand market so price will be around 350 for a elipsa and 250 for a sage. I was planning to get around 150 for my libra 2 (still in guarantee). I am quite a hungry reader so the amortization of the difference in price is going to be quite fast...!

At the moment i am not going to make much use of the notepad habilities of the elipsa...but maybe in the future, also i do have a tablet for that mathers, on the other hand i like the light capabilities of notepad of the sage that i think could match my actual usage.

In case i would choose the Sage, makes the change sense? I heard about some battery issues with it...it is solved through any homebrew tricks or fw updates?

Any advices for webpages with community improvements for Sage or elipsa like the one in spanish (sadly just for old models...)

https://kobo.lectoreselectronicos.com/index.html

Thanks for the opinions !!!
I would wait for the new models to be released and then see which one you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 02:58 PM   #10
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
PDF are handled better by a Kindle, if that's your main reason to get a new one. The Scribe is light for a big eReader/tablet. And the screen is 300 dpi. You'll have to use Send to Kindle to transfer your existing ePub.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 04:39 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
PDF are handled better by a Kindle, if that's your main reason to get a new one.
Really? Since when? Or do you mean the Scribe with its walled garden support for PDF annotation?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:21 PM   #12
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually i do not want to keep 2 ereaders, i want something versatile but a bit bigger
I don't think it's possible to do that. IMHO the size difference between 7 and 8" won't make a huge difference for PDF, but the Elipsa will be too big for reading novels in bed. You can't really get around needing different devices for different purposes. The Sage will be slightly better than the Libra for PDF, but I'd hardly call it worth the money when you already have a Libra.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 01:42 PM   #13
mmc_meneses
Enthusiast

Ok so last recommedation as far i see is to keep the libra as the sage won't make a big difference apart of the 1" more screen and maybe more easy to handle
Old 04-03-2024, 10:31 AM   #14
Tanimpra
Tanimpra began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight Plus, Kindle Paperwhite B024
Quote:
Ok so last recommedation as far i see is to keep the libra as the sage won't make a big difference apart of the 1" more screen and maybe more easy to handle
I have just purchased a Sage to use instead of my Libra 2, and I am content with the change. Can recommend.

OG Paperwhite B024>Nook Glowlight>Libra2>Sage
Tanimpra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 02:38 PM   #15
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Really? Since when? Or do you mean the Scribe with its walled garden support for PDF annotation?
It's a well known fact that Kindle handles PDF better than Kobo. The pinch and zoom, for instance.

Sorry...
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote