Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 12-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #16
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
Pen build and writing aside, if the refresh rate will be really 55ms, this will be a very interesting device. I would love to use it as a second monitor for writing/coding..

People are mentioning Onyx, but their latest N96ML 9.7 inch ereader has much smaller resolution, hence dpi suffers. In fact all big ereaders I can think of (even Max) has smaller resolution than this one, so I will applaud reMarkable for it!

In general, the spec and video look very promising. On top of good hardware, they seemed to developed interesting software with live syncing across multiple devices,a very interesting feature.

Looking forward to more news and hopefully some review videos
IF all of the proposed specs and features actually happen in the final released device, it will be amazing.

Right now it's all just pie in the sky.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:00 PM   #17
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
This looks interesting, but I'm not sold.

For one thing, no expandable storage is basically a dealbreaker right off the bat.

A device that lets me take notes as I'm reading is perfect for study, but I'm pretty skeptical that this can handle my technical reference manual PDFs effectively. Ereaders with those specs do not handle them well at all.

I understand why you skipped Android. But that is a downside, not a feature, really.

If I just want to take notes, notebook + pen works really well. I don't need another device just for note-taking. I would love something that integrates note-taking with my current setup of Android + Windows and lets me more effectively use my electronic non-fiction books, work manuals, and cookbooks. Tablets aren't great in sunlight and I prefer eInk to read on.

I'm full up on devices that I carry around, and I'm not seeing a usecase for this as-is. Maybe for businesses that want sealed devices for internal documents? But people mostly use email for those.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #18
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsmark View Post
It's a new EMR digitizer from Wacom, we're working with them on the custom pen design and optimizing the firmware. I'm not sure why we don't mention it on the website, but I'll take it up with the people responsible for it.

As for the description of Canvas; it's a custom flexible Carta display with new waveforms from E Ink. The "partial" is because Canvas is the entire display stack (including our custom cover lens etc.).
why no front light? it seems that all newly released devices are always coming close to perfect but not there yet. i have the sony dpt-s1. what is missing from this is the front light and lack of support for epub. the note-taking function of this device could be better, not it's not bad.

so for me to want the reMarkable, adding a front light would go a long way. and if you could offer a 13.3" size screen, so that normal letter-size pdfs would not have to be reduced, i would pre-order right now.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:08 PM   #19
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't think the current front light technology would work with a flexible screen. Bending the screen would probably change the uniformity of the light. Also, I think the light layer would have to get thicker for larger areas, and would thus blur the display.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:42 AM   #20
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I don't think the current front light technology would work with a flexible screen. Bending the screen would probably change the uniformity of the light. Also, I think the light layer would have to get thicker for larger areas, and would thus blur the display.
Correct and it's a real shame as a built in light is practically expected nowadays.

Having said that third party lights existed years before the paperwhite came onto the scene so whilst not ideal it's still a usable option.

Even if this device doesn't fulfill all our needs I still feel it deserves our support in this stagnant market.

Last edited by Jason90; 12-08-2016 at 12:46 AM.
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2016, 05:27 AM   #21
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
A Linux solution is good if all functions (zoo and crop) are implemented. But a big problem is the SD-Card not present. I need to be able to change the SD-Card for some file, to be able to choose between personal and professional documents, and to be sure that the professionals documents aren't on my personal device.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:31 AM   #22
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
What about a flexible screen held in a rigid frame? The main benefit of a flexible screen is not to have a flexible device, but to avoid substrate shattering.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:48 AM   #23
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
What about a flexible screen held in a rigid frame? The main benefit of a flexible screen is not to have a flexible device, but to avoid substrate shattering.
To me, the main benefit of a flexible screen is that it does not require a rigid case. You can make it light and slim, and thus easy to hold for extended periods. I have a PocketBook 902, a 10" screen device with a rigid case. Reading on it for longer periods is very difficult, because my hands start to cramp. It's not just the weight, but the large dimensions, which means the device is always trying to twist in your hands and you have to pinch with your fingers to keep it in place. Personally, I would choose less weight over the front light.

Last edited by rkomar; 12-09-2016 at 02:52 AM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #24
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
I see that some people are complaining that there is no extendable memory slot but I don't see this as a problem because all your documents will be synced with the cloud storage (that's what I understood from their video). So you should never run out of storage space.

This is in fact standard now in tablets and phones, instead of using SD cards use cloud storage. Of course we can discuss if cloud storage can replace SD cards, but I think for the purpose of e-ink devices and documents collections it's perfectly fine. Kindles are using cloud storage for many years now and I never run out of storage place+I don't have to worry that I will loose or damage a SD card. Cloud storage is the reality now.

Front light would be great, but that's an extra, if I would have to pay extra 100,200$ just for the frontlight I would pass.

I have 9.7 Onyx M92 and my glass screen broke, so I really appreciate flexible screens that are much more reliable.

Looking forward to news about this device!
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:54 PM   #25
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Looking at the web site and the graphics used on the images I would think think is NoteSlate under a new name. That gives me pause to begin with. Secondly anyone that thinks this is going to be a better writing experience than an Ipad Pro, Surface Pro etc needs to watch the video again an understand that it will be less than that. They do a good job at first blush of hiding the lag but it's definitely there. It just doesnt have the processing power to do better.

I do applaud them for finding a new/better display stack to use. Unfortunately it comes at a cost.

edit- slightly improving my opinion is that they are working with these folks https://www.dragoninnovation.com/team who I know are very professional in what they do.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 12-12-2016 at 12:25 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:17 AM   #26
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
I see that some people are complaining that there is no extendable memory slot but I don't see this as a problem because all your documents will be synced with the cloud storage (that's what I understood from their video). So you should never run out of storage space.
Hello SnoRipple,

For me the cloud solution is definitively NO. Why ? Because it's a problem of confidentiality of the data or the files. You don't know who can have access to your files and what the use is done with this information. Take care of the license when you want use a cloud service. Some companies or state, like USA, could have access to the files without inform the user. Look at the Google's or Microsoft's (Window 10) licenses, roughly all your data can be accessed for offer a better customer service or necessity from the point of view of this companies. I don't want create a polemic about this or the good reasons of this, it's possible (read the licenses) and it was already done.

If I buy, as a private person, all my books on Amazon in the 'children' category, it's not a problem. If I buy or find my books or files in the 'politic' category and I am an opponent to the state, it could be a big problem if the state (directly or by a company) could have access to my storage.

In a professional usage, it's obvious that some documents must be kept inside the company, the data (files) are often 'commercial secret', even the list of the names of the staff.

As many persons, I use a cloud service, but I know exactly how the data can be accessed, and if an illegal access is done, I can make a legal action. In my cloud, I put a backup of my collection of videos that presents no risk. If a day, I put some sensitive data, I'll cipher them.

Last edited by Randy11; 12-12-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:56 AM   #27
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
How can it use the Canvas name?

I thought that was a design suite made for Mac.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #28
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Oh I'm pretty sure that paintings, tents and sails predate every Mac model
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
How can it use the Canvas name?

I thought that was a design suite made for Mac.
It's built using HTML5?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #30
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Well, if it allows annotating PDF documents and it has the low latency for writing implied by the very short glimpses in the video, I would be in the market for one. Even at the non-discounted price. I spend my time reading PDF documents and annotating them or else taking notes at meetings.

I guess I'll have to wait until August to see but fingers crossed!
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote