Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
Misza
Misza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Arrow Need help with writing image via Fastboot - "FAILED (remote: Invalid partition)" prob

Hi, I've got a bricked PW2.
I managed to connect it via serial port (Mac + Ft232R) and get it into Fastboot mode.

I'm using the following images: https://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/

So far, I have successfully flashed only the diags_kernel.img. Here are the logs a) from the terminal:
Quote:
./fastboot flash diags_kernel.img

writing 'diags_kernel.img'...
OKAY [ 0.005s]
finished. total time: 0.005s
b) from the serial monitor (using CoolTerm for Mac):
Quote:
flashing diags_kernel.img to MMC1, partition 0
done.
However, the other 2 images that should be flashed via Fastboot return the following error:
Quote:
./fastboot flash mmcblk0p2.bin

writing 'mmcblk0p2.bin'...
FAILED (remote: Invalid partition)
finished. total time: 0.000s
I've tried the images from PW section (non-PW2) - same story, only the Diags Kernel goes through.

I tend to think the memory of my device is corrupted or something. I have quite basic knowledge of Linux-based systems and would appreciate any help.
Kindly let me know if you have any ideas - I'll try them out and will revert with my findings.
Misza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Try telling the fastboot application what partition to write it to maybe?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=170929

You really, really are asking for a lot of trouble, trying to run a PW2 with a PW1 system image.
In case you didn't notice, they don't even use the same SoC (cpu) let alone the same hardware.
(Translation: It is a damn good thing you didn't know how to use fastboot.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
Misza

Thank you, sir, will investigate how to set the target partition with fastboot and ing will report on the results.
Of course, won't be attempting to flash other kindle model's firmware (I knew it was a bad idea...).
Old 04-04-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misza View Post
Thank you, sir, will investigate how to set the target partition with fastboot and ing will report on the results.
Of course, won't be attempting to flash other kindle model's firmware (I knew it was a bad idea...).
The command syntax should be available to search engines if you can't find it here (it is posted somewhere).
IIRC:
fastboot <action> <destination> <file>
But look it up, don't trust my memory.
The Kindle fastboot is based on the Android application of the same name, so the command syntax should be same or similar even if the command set is different.
man fastboot
Code:
COMMANDS
       fastboot update filename
              Reflash device from update.zip.

fastboot flashall
              Flash boot, system, vendor, and -- if found -- recovery.

fastboot flash partition [filename]
              Write a file to a flash partition.

fastboot flashing lock
              Locks the device.  Prevents flashing.

fastboot flashing unlock
              Unlocks the device.  Allows flashing any partition except bootloader-related partitions.

fastboot flashing lock_critical
              Prevents flashing bootloader-related partitions.

fastboot flashing unlock_critical
              Enables flashing bootloader-related partitions.

fastboot flashing get_unlock_ability
              Queries bootloader to see if the device is unlocked.

fastboot erase partition
              Erase a flash partition.

fastboot format[:[fs type][:[size]] partition
              Format a flash partition.  Can override the fs type and/or size the bootloader reports.

fastboot getvar variable
              Display a bootloader variable.

fastboot boot kernel [ramdisk [second]]
              Download and boot kernel.

fastboot flash:raw boot kernel [ramdisk [second]]
              Create bootimage and flash it.

fastboot devices [-l]
              List all connected devices (with device paths if -l is used).

fastboot continue
              Continue with autoboot.

fastboot reboot [bootloader]
              Reboot device [into bootloader].

fastboot reboot-bootloader
              Reboot device into bootloader.

fastboot help
              Show this help message.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
Misza

Knc1, you were right - having indicated the partition destination, all 3 files were successfully written to my PW2. However, a new showstopper got on the radar.

In particular, I wasn't able to boot in diags in order to then get into the usb mode and transfer the main large image. It's really hard for me to say what the problem is... Instead of making silly assumptions, I'm attaching my Kindle's serial log.

It's from the moment I write 3 images then set "./fastboot setvar bootmode diags" and "./fastboot reboot"...

Are there any clues that could steer the operation in the right direction?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: rtf PW2 Serial export (reboot in diags error).rtf (31.8 KB, 257 views)
Old 04-04-2018, 08:42 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Code:
[    7.771091] EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p2): mounted filesystem with writeback data mode
kinit: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
That is "diags" mode.

Code:
[   10.718374] EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p3): warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended
[   10.744125] EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p3): using internal journal
[   10.749359] EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p3): recovery complete
[   10.755328] EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p3): mounted filesystem with writeback data mode
That is /var/local (both systems) file system that was recovered.

Code:
[   28.014716] end_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 878357
[   28.020990] EXT3-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block - inode=1625, block=48010
/etc/rcS.d/S50diags: line 13: /etc/upstart/battery-di[   28.044503] mmc0: Controller never released inhibit bit(s).

- - - -

[   88.385112] mmcblk0: timed out sending r/w cmd command, card status 0x400b00
[   93.816165] mmcblk0: error -110 transferring data, sector 846391, nr 1, cmd response 0x900, card status 0x0
[   93.825942] end_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 846391
[   93.832275] EXT3-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): ext3_get_inode_loc:
Those are fairly clear also -
unrecoverable hardware errors on the flash memory device.

If you are actually now running the correct firmware for the device, your EMMC memory device is bad.
All you can do is replace the chip (requires SMD hot-air rework tools and a lot of skill) or sell the screen as "used/good".
Old 04-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
Misza

Knc1, I truly appreciate your help with this. It has been inspiring and I'm disappointed the work is over. Will sell the Kindle for parts, no regrets.
I'll see if there is anything else to root or mod, but will probably get back to building drones, auto cat feeder, weather station and other projects in the pipeline.

All the best to you from London! Thank you.

Tags
fastboot, flashing, paperwhite 2, unbrick paperwhite