Notices

View Poll Results: New Home Screen vs Old Home Screen
New Home Screen 47 29.38%
Old Home Screen 113 70.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2017, 11:29 PM   #196
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Interesting. Do you have to leave the books open at 1% (or whatever) in your library or can you set them back to unread?
Long press on the book and select "Remove". Then a prompt is displayed to ask where to remove the book from. The top option is the home screen.

You can also choose to mark the book as unread. If you do, then it will be disappear from the home screen and reappear when you start reading the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:02 AM   #197
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Long press on the book and select "Remove". Then a prompt is displayed to ask where to remove the book from. The top option is the home screen.

You can also choose to mark the book as unread. If you do, then it will be disappear from the home screen and reappear when you start reading the book.
Yes, but if I do that the recommended tile reappears. Which I guess was unclear, but what I was asking. Thanks
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2017, 01:29 AM   #198
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, but if I do that the recommended tile reappears. Which I guess was unclear, but what I was asking. Thanks
Yes, if you reduce the number of displayed books below 2, then something else will occupy the top-right spot. What that is will depend on other things. Most of my devices, which I use for fiddling rather than reading, have an author or a collection there. I have no idea what would show on the device I use for my reading as I have no interest in removing enough books for something else to appear there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:42 AM   #199
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I agree that those are big changes and because of those big changes, this poll is no longer valid.
It's still very valid for me, I don't like the new new screen either.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:52 AM   #200
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It's still very valid for me, I don't like the new new screen either.
But can you say that the new changes might not have changed anyone's opinion?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2017, 02:55 AM   #201
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
But can you say that the new changes might not have changed anyone's opinion?
Did you read all the words I wrote? Let me highlight the important part you missed: It's still very valid for me, I don't like the new new screen either.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:57 AM   #202
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've started a new poll based on the new new home screen.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=284165'
Old 05-17-2017, 03:07 AM   #203
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
The one thing I really like about the new screen is that it displays how much time is left on library books.

The other stuff is meh.

-I liked having recommendations on my screen because I fool around with them a lot and use them partly for deciding what to buy next.
-I also liked having the choice to have the reading stats on there even though they're borked for the moment and have not recovered from the bug that showed 60,000 hours read at one point.
-I would like to see more space for in-progress books too.
-I'd like the more prominent clock too.
--I wish you could select "don't use for recommendations" for some purchased books because you buy one uncharacteristic book and get all 48 new recommendations based on that book. (not really a new screen thing, but there it is).

Last edited by tea2; 05-17-2017 at 03:11 AM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #204
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Kobo Aura HD H20 with sleep cover.

New screen:
1) Only 4 books,
2) no MRU of collections and other activies
3) No stats on annotations.
4) Wasted space generally
5) Wasted space on two Kobo links at bottom

It's massively worthless compared to previous screen

I managed to contact Customer care once (totally inept). Now the "submit" button doesn't work.

I had to delete the WiFi points AND restart my WiFi point to get WiFi to work.

The update came without warning when I was annotating / proof reading a 79K novel and looking up a phrase on Internet, even though sync is disabled. Went blank for scary amount of time.

The only good feature is that there is a check box to turn off swipe for brightness (which often accidentally changed when going back a page).

I've a lot of other gripes with the SW, which USED to be better than Amazon's rubbish. Are Kobo, and Amazon only employing interns / students? The ancient iRiver was better. I had better PC document management on DOS in 1980s!

I've a Kindle DXG and papertouch too.

I use Calibre to manage and backup my books as well as to make eBooks from Webpages and wordprocessor files.

IMO Kobo's attitude is abusive. I paid €220 for this. I should be informed and have a choice. It wasn't even a "security" upgrade, but seems to be a pointless jiggling of GUI, two small patches and making the Home Screen suit THEIR marketing instead of MY reading. Are they trying to copy MS, Google, Facebook and Amazon?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #205
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I don't get how so many people on MR are able to swipe up/down on the left side of the screen by accident.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #206
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
j, it happened to me all the time.

I finally realized I could (apparently?) disable the capability.

. . . . Pete
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #207
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
j, it happened to me all the time.

I finally realized I could (apparently?) disable the capability.

. . . . Pete
So how do you manage to swipe up/down enough instead of across?
Old 06-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #208
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nearly pointless feature anyway, at least now optional.

Quote:
I don't get how so many people on MR are able to swipe up/down on the left side of the screen by accident.
Obviously on my Aura HD H20, the horizontal swipe was sometimes interpreted as slightly up.

At least now it's sensibly an option under "reading settings" as it was on the menu anyway. How often do you need to adjust screen light unless reading by candle or oil lamp. I don't miss the light on the the Kindle DXG and have rarely ever needed it on the Kobo or PaperWhite, and never re-adjusted while reading.

My and android tablet phone can use volume buttons for page turn.
The DXG has real buttons.

Honestly it's STUPID having screen for page turn rather than buttons (iRiver Story Cover had both). It means often attempts to annotate result in a page turn, or vice versa. It means word look up and annotation is slowed.
At the very least you ought to be able to use say just two bottom corners in footer. It also means having to have hands grease free.

It might be fine on a phone where you look at 3 or 4 pages of a web site, but when reading solid for 5 hrs it makes no sense.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #209
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
So how do you manage to swipe up/down enough instead of across?
If I knew that, I'd have stopped doing it. Perhaps I'm used to giving a gentle tap on left or right for back / forward rather than a massive horizontal swipe putting a smear.
Healthy people generate slight oiliness on hands. It's bad for skin to be degreasing it dozens of times a day.

Actually I found it hard to do deliberately and usually had to go to menu to turn it off. At first I was baffled till I carefully re-read manual as this was an unexpected* behaviour.

(* My first smart phone was 2001, first touch LCD gadget in 1987, I have Sony Xperia phone, a decent Android Tablet, a Lenovo X201T touch+wacom laptop, Kindle PaperWhite and did have an iRiver Cover Story, so hardly unused to gadgets. I have an iPhone 4S too somewhere.)

Last edited by Quoth; 06-12-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #210
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

By the way, this is the WRONG thread for the 4.4 home screen.

This is the thread you want. So anyone who voted or posted comments about the 4.4 firmware, please do so again in the correct thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=286476

Tags
home screen, kobo