Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2021, 05:01 PM   #1
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Question How to compile a working kernel

Hi,
So I recently bought a Kobo Mini for tinkering, and I'm trying to compile a new kernel for it, since it is still running Linux 2.6.
I tried with NickelTC and the official imx507/KoboLabs sources, but that didn't work. The Mini only showed a blue light when powering up and nothing appeared on the screen. Even flashing the uImage that was already compiled in the tar.bz2 didn't work.
Am I missing something here?

Thanks.
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:06 PM   #2
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Did you include a proper bootloader? And is the rcS without problems?
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2021, 05:08 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The kernel sources available often (read: almost never) actually match the currently shipped binaries (by which I mean, they're out of date).

I'm vaguely hoping they'd still lead to a booting device regardless, but it's hard to say without a serial shell .

That said, any decent toolchain should do, the kernels are built by NTX, not Kobo, so they're never actually built with the same toolchain as Nickel.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:09 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
c.f., https://github.com/marek-g/kobo-kern...d_instructions for ca. that era custom kernel shenanigans.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #5
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
c.f., https://github.com/marek-g/kobo-kern...d_instructions for ca. that era custom kernel shenanigans.
Yeah, that's what I did, approximately.
I'll try to flash the stock uImage with the original FW version that was shipped with the Mini and I'll see how it goes.
thanks!
Advert
Old 02-01-2021, 11:23 PM   #6
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any luck with that?
Old 02-01-2021, 11:57 PM   #7
NiMa
Evangelist

Well, no, sadly :/. Tomorrow I'll try with the provided toolchain and I'll see if it does work or not.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:11 PM   #8
Elektron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
Well, no, sadly :/. Tomorrow I'll try with the provided toolchain and I'll see if it does work or not.
:/

Has it worked (with the provided toolchain?)
Old 02-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #9
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
:/

Has it worked (with the provided toolchain?)
No, not yet, because it is a legacy 32-bit executable (you know, 2010s...) and Arch doesn't want to install the required dependencies to run it.