Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Mobipocket's use of the <FORM> tag....

I have successfully used the <FORM> tag when creating .imp ebooks for the eBookwise 1150 (and REB 1200) (see FORM INPUT: Cute idea, but nevertheless useful).

I tried using this concept with .prc ebooks (see 'Dickens Reading Checklist.prc' below) and while it's created the way I would expect, the PC software viewer doesn't remember the selections. I implemented this without using any java scripts and maybe that is the reason the selections are not remembered. I don't know (I mean I don't know javascript)!

The Mobipocket Javascript support website help gives insights on using the <FORM> tag using javascript, but I don't know if javascript is a pre-requisite! I downloaded the sample and its results looked more promising (see 'Mobipocket test taking sample.prc' below)

Can someone with a Mobipocket-enabled hardware ebook reader try the attached .prc to see if the selections are "remembered" after closing the ebook and re-opening it. Source files included in the below .zip.

Is there a better/easier way to code this .html to make this work?

BTW, this is the original Fictionwise forum post on this topic:
Quote:
A while back I compiled a series of .html stories into one ebook i.e. merged them.

If I chose to read them sequentially, then I could easily keep track of those that I had read and those waiting their turn. But, I knew I wouldn't be so disciplined.

Sooo...

I used the <form> construct and designed a checklist of sorts and placed it at the beginning of the ebook compilation.

Surprisingly, the input choices are remembered after you power down and will only be erased if you choose to Erase Markups! If viewed via the PC viewer, you will note it saves a 'FormsReport.txt' file, which is used to facility this "memory".
Attached Files
File Type: prc Dickens Reading Checklist.prc (5.4 KB, 631 views)
File Type: zip Dickens Reading Checklist_prc.zip (4.6 KB, 654 views)
File Type: prc Mobipocket test taking sample.prc (95.7 KB, 657 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-25-2008 at 02:09 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Can someone with a Mobipocket-enabled hardware ebook reader try the attached .prc to see if the selections are "remembered" after closing the ebook and re-opening it.
BUMP.

Anyone have any success with these .prc remembering the selections?
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 12:49 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle and the iLiad don't seem to support javascript. They both display only the HTML in your examples. The MobiPocket Forum thread: Free converters not working on my BlackBerry!? indicates the same is true of the Blackberry reader (which is also based on the Java Reader).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Kindle and the iLiad don't seem to support javascript. They both display only the HTML in your examples. The MobiPocket Forum thread: Free converters not working on my BlackBerry!? indicates the same is true of the Blackberry reader (which is also based on the Java Reader).
Thanks for the feedback!

BTW, I don't support javascript as well...
Old 07-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It's possible to implement JavaScript in Java - see Mozilla's Rhino project. But I don't expect to see it show up in Mobi's Java based reader any time soon. The Rhino Jar file is 750K. Mobi would have to do a lot of trimming to get a subset they could implement that would provide the required support and still be a reasonably compact file to install on a cell phone.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert