Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-19-2008, 12:21 AM   #46
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
a great mystery
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #47
minigrrl
minigrrl began at the beginning.

Device: eReader on many Palms, Treos & iPhone, Cybook Gen3 x2, Pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've always said that I regard the case as essential - my Gen3 hasn't left its case since the day it was bought.
Well, YOU may say that you "regard the case as essential", but there is certainly nothing on the Bookeen website that indicates that this is the case (no pun intended)...

In fact there is nothing on the Bookeen website that indicates that one must take extra care ( and by 'extra' I mean more so than any of the many, many other gadgets that I own).

Correct me if I'm wrong (I can't get to the website from work) but I don't recall seeing anything saying that the screen is more delicate than, say, a PDA. I regularly drop my Treo when I'm getting it out of my pocket and the screen has never broken (damn thing - I want a new Centro...) - though I would not realistically expect any gadget to really survive a drop onto concrete or whatever. I left my Cybook on the bedside table and the screen broke. Go figure.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that, if the case is essential, should Bookeen not include one with every purchase?
minigrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've had my 505 since the beginning of October and I've ported it in my bag with my quite a lot since then. Not a single issue with the screen.

But I do have to say that if your gen3 was left on the night table when you went to bed with the Gen3 working fine, there is no reason it should be broken when you next turn it on knowing you put no undo stress on it. That would have to indicate a problem with the Gen3 (IMHO). So what can users do since the break looks like one that you get if the screen is damaged with excessive force. Basically it is your word against theirs and given how many here are having screen damage with no known excessive force, I'd have to go with manufacturing defect.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:24 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by minigrrl View Post
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that, if the case is essential, should Bookeen not include one with every purchase?
I entirely agree with you!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #50
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
In fact there is nothing on the Bookeen website that indicates that one must take extra care ( and by 'extra' I mean more so than any of the many, many other gadgets that I own).

Correct me if I'm wrong (I can't get to the website from work) but I don't recall seeing anything saying that the screen is more delicate than, say, a PDA.
I wasn't able to find anything on the website that indicated the Cybook needs extra special care either. I've actually dropped mine several times in the case, and at least once onto carpet out of the case. Thankfully my Cybook is still going strong. I have had my Cybook since Christmas and haven't really treated it in any special way other than to use the case for transport and storage. I prefer the smaller size of the "naked" Cybook for casual reading. So far I have been lucky, fingers crossed that this continues to be the case.

Quote:
I actually think it should be included. I wouldn't store my iPAQ without the plastic screen cover closed, and I don't think the Cybook should be stored without some sort of protection for the screen either. I certainly wouldn't ever pack my Cybook around in my purse if it wasn't in some sort of case.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #51
AL1432
AL1432 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3 / Palm T|X
Quote:
Well, YOU may say that you "regard the case as essential", but there is certainly nothing on the Bookeen website that indicates that this is the case (no pun intended)...

Correct me if I'm wrong (I can't get to the website from work) but I don't recall seeing anything saying that the screen is more delicate than, say, a PDA.
Nothing that a class action suit wouldn't resolve, but we all know THAT'S not going to happen.
AL1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #52
AL1432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
So far I have been lucky, fingers crossed that this continues to be the case.
Also consider yourself lucky to have been forewarned by all these posts of broken screens. I am not so sure the issue is GENERAL fragility, as much as only the screen. Amazon shows a drop test for the Kindle on its home page, yet I'd bet their screen is fragile too. It may just be the nature of how e-ink devices are engineered, for now at least. The key is not to put pressure of any sort on the screen, even with it in its case and the case closed. I only wish this point was made by Bookeen BEFORE so many of us broke ours.
Al
Old 06-22-2008, 02:46 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle and the Gen3 use an identical screen (as does the Sony PRS-505, for that matter).
Old 06-22-2008, 03:19 AM   #54
AL1432

Quote:
The Kindle and the Gen3 use an identical screen (as does the Sony PRS-505, for that matter).
I was afraid that that might be the case.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:30 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't think they are THAT fragile. Over the last 2 years or so, I've had four different eInk devices and not one of them has had a problem. I'm sorry that you've had trouble, but to extrapolate that and say that there is a general issue is, I think, unwarranted. Yes, of course the odd one does go wrong, and you do have to treat them with a certain degree of respect, as you would any other electronic device. I treat my eInk devices in the same way that I'd treat my iPod. For every person who has a problem I'm sure that there are many hundreds who don't.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #56
AL1432

Quote:
I don't think they are THAT fragile.... to extrapolate that and say that there is a general issue is, I think, unwarranted. Yes, of course the odd one does go wrong....
The only way to know if there is a "general" issue or not is to take a statistical snapshot, and we don't have the data to do that, so we can neither say there is a general issue nor that there is not one. I'm going based upon what I've been reading in these posts, along with my own experience. I think the point is well made that since most will agree these units are more fragile than one might expect, the user should be made aware of this by the manufacturer to save trouble and expense. Another issue, one I face right now, and I wonder how other people with "broken" devices have dealt with this, is whether or not to get mine repaired. Cost aside, if I do get it repaired, I will now always be worried about it breaking yet again, and I can't keep spending that sort of money to keep fixing something that might possibly keep breaking. I would hate to toss it, on the one hand, but I'm not sure it's ready for prime time, on the other. Perhaps one reason for going with, say, a Kindle, is that from what I've read, if the screen breaks on a Kindle, you send it back to Amazon and they send you a replacement. That's good customer service. What Bookeen is doing by having us pay ON TOP OF the original cost is, IMHO, not good customer service.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #57
jayne80
Connoisseur
jayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toys

Device: iphone 4s, ipad 3, kindle touch,kindle PW, kobo mini, kobo aura
I've had my Cybook since November and i've been carrying it about in my handbag in a home made case, fake leather and two peices of cereal box cardboard for stiffening over the screen, i haven't had a problem with the screen (yet) so may be it is a batch of bad screens, because if they were all that fragile, mine would have broken about 6 months ago.

Jayne80
jayne80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #58
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I just had my SECOND screen break. And I absolutely know for a fact that it's never been dropped or otherwise abused. It was in the case when it happened and I'm still not sure *what* happened - I was reading on it fine, set it down to get dinner and when I came back about an hour later to turn it on, the upper corner had the familiar striations.

I'm about to email bookeen about it but at this point...I don't have a clue what to do. I paid for the screen replacement on the first one, because I wasn't sure if it was my fault or not - I hadn't abused it, but I'd treated it like I'd always treated my PDAs. This one I treated with kid gloves.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:06 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Well that's just ridiculous. You can see from this forum that there certainly isn't a "generic" problem with broken screens - we aren't exactly flooded with people saying that their screen has broken.

I'm very sorry to hear that you've had such problems.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:38 AM   #60
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
if you have a pet perhaps your cat or dog jumped on it. ours jump on tv and stereo remotes and turn stuff on and off...
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, cybook, screen