Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
LIBPRS500 running on Win2k?

Is it possible to make libprs500 run on a win2k machine? The download site only offers XP and vista.
Thank you for your help.
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It might. Try it and see, most likely you will have problems with it detecting the PRS500
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
aru
Likes to read on e-ink

You are exactly right ... I see the library, but not the reader. Looking it up the Device manager shows it as "sony prs-505/uc usb device", there are three of them. I tried to disable them, but libprs still does not see the reader. This is a copy of the log file:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "libprs500\gui2\device.pyo", line 52, in run
File "libprs500\devices\prs505\driver.pyo", line 225, in open
File "libprs500\devices\prs505\driver.pyo", line 173, in open_windows
DeviceError: Unable to find PRS505. Is it connected?
File "main.py", line 199, in device_detected
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'device_removed'

Is there a solution out there?

I sure hope for a fix, as it would be a nice way to use the reader with my computer at home.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm assuming that the 505 shows up correctly as a mass storage device?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
aru
Likes to read on e-ink

Yes, it does show up. I can transfer files to it on win-explorer. However I would like to use your wonderful tool to create groups, get news etc.
Advert
Old 11-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm unfortunately I dont have win2000 to debug this. EDIT: I may have some ideas however. Open up a bug report if you're willing to do some work to get it working.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #7
aru
Likes to read on e-ink

Thanks for the offer, I'll do that Monday when I'll be back from a short trip to the beach.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
aru
Likes to read on e-ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm unfortunately I dont have win2000 to debug this. EDIT: I may have some ideas however. Open up a bug report if you're willing to do some work to get it working.
Hi Kovidgoyal,
I had some problems with my system and have refreshed my Win2k OS, now everything is working again and I had hoped that libprs would (by magic?) work also. I downloaded the newest version, installed it and still have the same problem:
Well it is most certainly connected, I can see all three drives in the system, except it does not show up in libprs. I would really like to use the program especially as you updated the feeds with some German newspapers.
If I work with you are you willing to giveme things to try?
Thank you in advance
Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well as a first step you need to get libprs500 running from svn which means installing all its dependencies.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
aru
Likes to read on e-ink

Do you have a preferred location to get them from? Is this a good place, and if so which of the two versions do i need?
http://subversion.tigris.org/project...inary-packages

I do not want to hide from you that I had to google "svn dependencies", as this is the first time I heard about that. Just for you to know that this might involve some hand-holding... On the other hand I am always eager to learn!
Old 01-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I meant libprs500 dependencies. You can just install subversion from their website. The libprs500 dependencies are listed under the generic linux download section. Some of them will have to be compiled from source using mingw...not for the faint of heart.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:13 AM   #12
aru
Likes to read on e-ink

Hi Kovid:

I might bail out on this one. I installed LIBPRS500 on my office computer and it works fine there (XP). So I'll just live with downloading News and shuffling collections at the office, I can still copy RTFs and PDFs to the reader via explorer at home.

It would be easier for me to to "upgrade" to XP than spend my - and YOUR - time on going through the process to make W2k work.

Thank you for all your help!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No problem :-)