Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Emptora
Emptora began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Smile New PE User

I just purchased my PE from the $119 Buy Storefront on Ebay on Thursday. Hoping it comes brand new as advertised, not used / refurb.

Anyway, I am just reading and the only thing I'm concerned about is this WSoD. It seems from browsing the entire forum that this occurs temporarily and permanently. The permanent seems to happen after updating to Ermine and associated with hibernation, is this correct?

Therefore, besides a speed boost, what are the notable upgrades from 1.6 to 2.2? Is it worth the risk? Long story short I don't want to render my new PE useless because of WSoD...

Any ways to prevent the WSoD or correct the permanent one?

Thanks for any info...
Emptora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

I think its being blown out of proportion. I've seen it once and a pin clip reset fixed it. but ymmv.
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
So far the jury is still out on the cause of the WSOD. We don't know if it is something that would happen on a unit that is not upgraded that has some intensive video usage or if it happens because the Ermine update stresses the video chip.

When Entourage were up and running they fixed the odd couple of instances by replacing the mother board with out any quibbles which points to a hardware problem they were aware of.

That being said the number of failed units compared to the total number of units is very small.

As to the upgrade being worth it, only you can decide that by looking at what you want to do with the PE. Some apps will not run on anything less than 2.1 so if you want to use any in that category you will have to upgrade.

The best thing you can do is to use it as it is - it may need upgrading to 1.6 but that upgrade is safe (in fact it is the fall back position if anything goes wrong with 2.2) - and only go to 2.2 if you need it.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Emptora

Cool, I'll browse, this will be my first Android device.

Any word on if Skype audio / video works on either 1.6 or 2.2?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome to MobileRead!

There's a version of Skype that supposedly works for chat but not for video. You can also do VOIP (do a search of this forum for the thread on how-to). I wish we could do the free video skyping!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
Every once in a rare while while mine is in hibernate I'll press MENU and the LCD will come up pure white. After about ten seconds it goes blank again and this time pressing MENU brings it up like normal.

Nothing I'm worried about personally.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
JTY
JTY began at the beginning.

Device: Entourge Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTec View Post
Every once in a rare while while mine is in hibernate I'll press MENU and the LCD will come up pure white. After about ten seconds it goes blank again and this time pressing MENU brings it up like normal.

Nothing I'm worried about personally.
This happened for me few times (under 10 times), then came the day when the PE was hot from one spot behind e-ink display right were the LCD control chips are and it was white permanent.

It's pretty clear it's a hardware design flaw, if you look at the motherboard and the connector it's clear that PE is not a device which will work for several years. Cheap components/connector and flawed design.
Great device, it's sad that it won't last, but no good things last in this world
JTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
arcticmaniac
Connoisseur
arcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipse

Device: entourage pe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTY View Post
This happened for me few times (under 10 times), then came the day when the PE was hot from one spot behind e-ink display right were the LCD control chips are and it was white permanent.

It's pretty clear it's a hardware design flaw, if you look at the motherboard and the connector it's clear that PE is not a device which will work for several years. Cheap components/connector and flawed design.
Great device, it's sad that it won't last, but no good things last in this world
are you kidding me........Amazon just bought Entourage out....they are going to bring back the EDGE and pocket EDGE but just renaming it Hollywood........ but it will be thinner and lighter with gorilla glass and capacitive touch and flash 11.34 and android market (i bet they will somehow block it and force you to use the Ama$$on market instead)
arcticmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticmaniac View Post
are you kidding me........Amazon just bought Entourage out....they are going to bring back the EDGE and pocket EDGE but just renaming it Hollywood........ but it will be thinner and lighter with gorilla glass and capacitive touch and flash 11.34 and android market (i bet they will somehow block it and force you to use the Ama$$on market instead)
And where did you get this information from? While the Amazon Hollywood is supposed to be a dual screen design similar to the Edge, I'm not convinced that Amazon had to buy Entourage in order to release something like that.

I think the dual screen is the only thing the two will have in common and that they will be two completely different pieces of hardware.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
Emptora

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTY View Post

What version of Android were you running?