Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
yuxi_kelly
Enthusiast
yuxi_kelly began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
EPUB File Size

i made a comics epub, it is 9M in size, and in this way it ca not pas the unmmanefested file test,

anyone konws how big the top size of a normal EPUb should be ? 7M?

and how should i compress my EPUB to less than 6M in a easier way?
yuxi_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
There is no size limit, if you get an "unmanifested file" error, the problem is different: you have a file in the ePUB that is not listed in the <manifest> in the OPF file.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
yuxi_kelly
Enthusiast
yuxi_kelly began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
hi, when i test the epub in the unmmanefeted file website, it say like below:
<1.The type of file you attempted to upload is not allowed.
This EPUB is not well formed!>

when we test epub, if there is a file not listed in the OPF, the test will tell us in details which fiels is not in, but can you tell me what do this mean by " not allowed"???
yuxi_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Try passing the ePub though FlightCrew, it should give you a more specified error message.

However, I agree with Jellby that it at least appears that you have files in the ePub that are not mentioned in the OPF file.

How did you create the ePub and how/where are you testing it?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
drdann
Connoisseur
drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
You can also open it on Sigil and resave it and it shbould resolve that.
drdann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 03:45 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdann View Post
You can also open it on Sigil and resave it and it shbould resolve that.
Not necessarily, it is possible that a reference exists to a file without the file present or mentioned in the OPF file. Sigil will not catch that specific situation.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:33 AM   #7
Vengadesan
Technologist
Vengadesan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, I am also facing the same issue. I have parsed my ePUB in FlightCrew, threepress and other java parsers, but my ePUB is well formed.

when i test the epub in the unmmanefeted file website, it say like below:
1.The type of file you attempted to upload is not allowed.
This EPUB is not well formed!

Please help me to resolve this issue...
Vengadesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What unmmanefeted file website?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuxi_kelly View Post
i made a comics epub, it is 9M in size, and in this way it ca not pas the unmmanefested file test,
How ? Which tools do you use ??
Quote:
anyone konws how big the top size of a normal EPUb should be ? 7M?
As Jellby says, there's no limit in the definition. But there might be some limitation given by the reader-software. Up to 20M should be fine.
Quote:
and how should i compress my EPUB to less than 6M in a easier way?
If it's a comic, then the size is given by the size of the pictures. Reduce the size of your pictures by making them smaller or finding a format with a better compression. Do you use the *.bmp-format ?

Last edited by mmat1; 07-22-2012 at 03:16 AM.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
Jesver
Jesver began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, Kindle, Nook, kobo
Reduce the image size

Hi,

if you r use the png or jpg image, u can easily reduce the image size.

PNG:
1) Open the image in photoshop
Imgage-->Adjustment--->posterize ==> then change the value 4 to 5.
This will be used decrease the image size.

Jpg:
1) open the image.
just save as images --> redude the Quality size. There is no big affect in your epub.
Jesver is offline   Reply With Quote