Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
cko1x
cko1x doesn't littercko1x doesn't litter

Device: Sony Daily Reader PRS950
SD Memory

I just bought a Sony PRS-950 and am wondering about the use of memory chips. I do most of my reading thru the local library and they allow only 21 days to read an eBook and no extensions. Can I store an ebook on a memory chip, remove the chip, return the ebook and then read the book from the chip as long as I don't have the reader hooked up to the internet when the chip is in? Is this legal? I don't want to make copies or give it to someone else but would like to have more than 21 days to read the book. Example: yesterday I downloaded "Decision Points" by George Bush in ePub format. It is 45M (yes 45 megabytes) and I will get to reading it as soon as I finish what I'm reading now but I got the chance to get a copy and took it figuring that I'd probably have to wait in quque for a copy if I didn't get it now. I probably won't finish it in the 20 days I have left and will probably have to hope that I can get it again as soon as I return it. If I could keep it available on a memory chip out of the reader, it would make things so much easier.
cko1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
I suspect either your reader or the file itself gets coded with an expiration date that will prevent you from reading the book no matter what medium you use to store the file.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
The size of that book is amazing. The Kindle version is only around 8.5MB. I wonder why the library epub version is so much larger? On the 950 the converted epup file is only around 550 pages and roughly the same file size.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The file is coded with an expiration date. Open the library book on your ereader. Then press Options > Info. At the bottom of the information page is "Expiration Date". Above that is a line that should say "Digital Rights: Full, viewable". Now open a non-library book and look at the information page. You won't see this Expiration Date line item. If the non-library book doesn't have DRM, then you also won't see the Digital Rights line item.

The Expiration Date is compared to the reader internal clock. That is how the device knows whether to let you view the file or not. If the reader clock is after the file expiration date, then you will get a protected page error. If the reader clock is before the file expiration date, then you are able to view the book.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:13 AM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cko1x View Post
I just bought a Sony PRS-950 and am wondering about the use of memory chips. I do most of my reading thru the local library and they allow only 21 days to read an eBook and no extensions. Can I store an ebook on a memory chip, remove the chip, return the ebook and then read the book from the chip as long as I don't have the reader hooked up to the internet when the chip is in? Is this legal? I don't want to make copies or give it to someone else but would like to have more than 21 days to read the book. Example: yesterday I downloaded "Decision Points" by George Bush in ePub format. It is 45M (yes 45 megabytes) and I will get to reading it as soon as I finish what I'm reading now but I got the chance to get a copy and took it figuring that I'd probably have to wait in quque for a copy if I didn't get it now. I probably won't finish it in the 20 days I have left and will probably have to hope that I can get it again as soon as I return it. If I could keep it available on a memory chip out of the reader, it would make things so much easier.
You'll be amazed at what appears when you enter terms like "decrypt" and "Epub" together into search engines!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert