Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #91
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsimon View Post
That's what I've been saying. The other features are nice but it's the ability to use the iPad for public library reading which is revolutionary and the game changer. It turns the iPad into the ultimate ereader and I guarantee turns this app into a major seller even with a price tag attached to it.
I agree it will be very cool and popular. But I would not want to charge money for the only program that read library books on a particular platform. The whole point for me is access to knowledge for every citizen.

That said, I'm also totally for content creators getting financially rewarded for their hard work. And if I can facilitate that and help that grow, I don't feel bad about charging some money for such a service "up stream" from the end-user.
-Micah
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #92
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
I agree it will be very cool and popular. But I would not want to charge money for the only program that read library books on a particular platform. The whole point for me is access to knowledge for every citizen.

That said, I'm also totally for content creators getting financially rewarded for their hard work. And if I can facilitate that and help that grow, I don't feel bad about charging some money for such a service "up stream" from the end-user.
-Micah
I have no problem with free. As an aside, the ability re overdrive ( public library books) would not deprive the content provider as it would be in accordance with whatever arrangement is already in place for a library's ebook collection. Any idea what time frame , even an approximate , we are looking at for this feature?
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #93
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
I wouldn't mind paying for an app that would let me read library books on my iPad. I just downloaded the app, so I haven't had much chance to try it out yet. I did notice your themes had Seattle Mist and Ballard Blues, though. Can I infer you are located in Seattle? I'm from Ballard, so it caught my eye! I live in AZ now...got tired of the rain. I have subscribed to this thread, so please post any progress on the library Overdrive subject. Thanks!
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #94
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup Seattle all right. If you look closely at the cover of the user guide, you can see the Seattle skyline. Our offices are in Ballard actually - well, Sunset Hill to be precise.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #95
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
I have no problem with free. As an aside, the ability re overdrive ( public library books) would not deprive the content provider as it would be in accordance with whatever arrangement is already in place for a library's ebook collection. Any idea what time frame , even an approximate , we are looking at for this feature?
Agreed. Libraries do pay for the books. And, it is great exposure for the author.

All I can say in terms of timeline is very soon - as in weeks vs months (we hope).
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #96
steph_g
Book Lover

Quote:
Yup Seattle all right. If you look closely at the cover of the user guide, you can see the Seattle skyline. Our offices are in Ballard actually - well, Sunset Hill to be precise.
OMG! That's where I mostly lived growing up - small world.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #97
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

lutefisk, lutefisk ,lefse, lefse, all for Ballard - ja sure ya betcha! <applause>

Last edited by Micah; 10-16-2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: felt like it
Old 10-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #98
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

To explain, Ballard, where I grew up is a Norwegian fishing community. All my friends spent their summers on a boat fishing. I, (a mongrel mutt) left with no one to hang out with for the summer, read books and tinkered with early digital devices. Funny how rainy places breed computer geeks....
Old 10-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #99
steph_g
Book Lover

Quote:
lutefisk, lutefisk ,lefse, lefse, all for Ballard - ja sure ya betcha! <applause>
Wow, that really brings back memories! I am not Scandinavian, either, but it seemed like almost everyone I grew up with was. Can't do the lutefisk, but I do love lefse (as long as it's covered with butter and cinnamon sugar).

I know!

Addition: I just looked at your web site and would you believe I grew up about four blocks from there?

Last edited by steph_g; 10-16-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:10 AM   #100
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I jailbroke my iPhone and ever since then, Bluefire causes my iPhone (4) to freeze up. It's the only app that does it. Anyone else have this problem?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #101
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Overdrive has announced a reader app for iOS, BTW.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #102
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
thank you, it works very well with B&N too.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #103
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
They announced it months ago and don't seem to have progressed it any further since. I wouldn't hold my breath.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #104
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The app appears to be for audio books only
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #105
steph_g
Book Lover

I emailed them several months ago when I got my iPad, and they said they are working on it. From the things I've read, I wouldn't hold my breath. That's why I would be more than happy to pay for an app that would let me read library books on my iPad. We have a great elibrary system where I live that I can't use. That annoys me. I sure hope someone is able to find a way to make it work for iPad owners!