Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
cs2501
cs2501 began at the beginning.

Device: none
PDF questions for illiad users

Hey all,

It seems like it would not be hard to format a search able PDF to be cut naively for the iRex screen. Is there any method to do this?

I am interested in the ability of the illiad to search PDF files. How long does it take to run though a PDF?

Is there a good table of contents function for PDFs?

What is the biggest PDF size you can responsibly use?

I know the 1000s is probably trying to be more oriented towards PDF files but with all the issues it has I just cant justify looking at one.
cs2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs2501 View Post
Hey all,

It seems like it would not be hard to format a search able PDF to be cut naively for the iRex screen. Is there any method to do this?

I am interested in the ability of the illiad to search PDF files. How long does it take to run though a PDF?
There was a discussion about PDF search in this thread. Searching a single PDF doesn't take long, but going through all files on your device is nearly impossible without some kind of indexing.

Quote:
What is the biggest PDF size you can responsibly use?
I don't know the biggest reported file size, but I regularily use PDFs of ~50-70 MB without problems (scanned books). PDF files with Font1 fonts (some old versions of LaTeX used to produce these) take very long to load (even on my PC), but that is unrelated to the file size and only occurs with about 0.1% of the PDF files I tried to read on my device.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
cs2501
cs2501 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
There was a discussion about PDF search in this thread. Searching a single PDF doesn't take long, but going through all files on your device is nearly impossible without some kind of indexing.

I don't know the biggest reported file size, but I regularily use PDFs of ~50-70 MB without problems (scanned books). PDF files with Font1 fonts (some old versions of LaTeX used to produce these) take very long to load (even on my PC), but that is unrelated to the file size and only occurs with about 0.1% of the PDF files I tried to read on my device.
Nice. I have a HP ScanJet I use to scan in all my books and other materials into my computer. I'm experimenting with abby fine read and omni page right now for OCR.

In regard to that post, I'm not quite sure I understand how to search within a .pdf from it. The most linux exposure i've had is a dual boot with ubuntu. Are you running a command string from a terminal? It looks like you have the number of instances of the phrase, but I don't really see the .pdf being searched? Sorry sounding so confused, it just looks very technical to me.
cs2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs2501 View Post
In regard to that post, I'm not quite sure I understand how to search within a .pdf from it. The most linux exposure i've had is a dual boot with ubuntu. Are you running a command string from a terminal? It looks like you have the number of instances of the phrase, but I don't really see the .pdf being searched? Sorry sounding so confused, it just looks very technical to me.
Yes, it was just an idea how to search a PDF from command line. I hope this can be integrated into the PDF viewer some day, but this is beyond my knowledge of C programming...
Old 01-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
yunti
Enthusiast
yunti began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hmmm I'm not sure I understood the posts above properly. Is it possible to search within a single PDF document and how is this done?

Also, I've heard there is a fullscreen option/patch for PDF's can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

And lastly is it possible to do dictionary look up with PDF?

Thanks
yunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
-Thomas-
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunti View Post
Hmmm I'm not sure I understood the posts above properly. Is it possible to search within a single PDF document and how is this done?
It's not possible at the moment, there is just a proof-of-concept on how it could be done. Unfortunately the installed PDF viewer lacks any kind of text search.
Quote:
Also, I've heard there is a fullscreen option/patch for PDF's can anyone point me in the right direction for this?
You are looking for this thread
Quote:
And lastly is it possible to do dictionary look up with PDF?
No, it's only possible for Mobipocket files.