Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
I need an Android book reader app with the following parameters

• It's easy to feed it by simply adding files to it via USB
  • I can take notes, highlight items, just like on a Kindle
  • There is a built-in dictionary or it integrates well with a third party dictionary.
  • If I have a legal copy from my Kindle can I use that?
  • It has a page turning function, not only scrolling
  • More open than the Kindle App
  • Works well on smartphones and tablets as well
  • Preferably free
Which one?

Ps. administrators: do you know that you can adjust adding bullet points to be more easy in the forum settings?

Last edited by avid01; 03-28-2013 at 01:08 AM.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
Serapeum
Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Moon Reader+
For being able to read your Kindle books, have a look at the Calibre sub-section. There are various guides on using Calibre to convert books.

Any of the readers not linked to a single supplier (like Google, Amazon etc) will support adding books via USB.

As for the rest, at least Mantano and Moon+ meet most of your requirements, though Mantano isn't free. I've used both on my phone and tablet.
Serapeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
miki2
Connoisseur
miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7", Nexus 7 (2013),
You should take a look at Cool Reader; I've found that is one of the best free ebook readers for Android and has quite a lot of options in the Settings.

You might also take a look at this section: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70921

Good Luck.
miki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
If your legal copy has DRM (or it's in the KF8 format), you're not going to find any alternative to the Kindle App that will allow you read it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Serapeum
Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If your legal copy has DRM (or it's in the KF8 format), you're not going to find any alternative to the Kindle App that will allow you read it.
Caveat: Without stripping the DRM, which may or may not be legal in your country.
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapeum View Post
Caveat: Without stripping the DRM, which may or may not be legal in your country.
Well then that copy would no longer have DRM, right? I thought that was fairly self-explanatory.

Even if DRM-free is a given, I don't think there's an android reader out there that even experimentally supports the KF8 format (which is probably what you're going to get unless the copy of the file comes from a Kindle 1/2 or an i(Phone|Pod).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-29-2013 at 04:30 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Serapeum

Quote:
Well then the copy would no longer have DRM, right? I thought that was fairly self-explanatory.
Only for those familiar enough with the English language to read between the lines - and I don't want to assume that the OP is
Old 03-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
  • It's easy to feed it by simply adding files to it via USB
  • I can take notes, highlight items, just like on a Kindle
  • There is a built-in dictionary or it integrates well with a third party dictionary.
  • It has a page turning function, not only scrolling
  • More open than the Kindle App
  • Works well on smartphones and tablets as well
  • Preferably free
Which one?

Ps. administrators: do you know that you can adjust adding bullet points to be more easy in the forum settings?
Coolreader will give you all the options apart from reading drm kindle books. Amazon does not allow other apps or readers to acess kindle files or services so you cant use any other reader apart from kindle for Amazon drm books.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
mobilelover
Enthusiast
mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
In my opinion NOOK for Android by B&N, Kindle and Moon are the best ebook readers for Android which provides most of the functionalities you are looking for.
mobilelover is offline   Reply With Quote