Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #61
xristy
Connoisseur
xristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Thumbs up finally an Adobe DRM reader for the iPad

It's not heaven (that might be an offspring of BFR and Goodreader) but it's really wonderful for me - Txtr is just too cumbersome, BFR works like it should - transfers easily from iTunes or PhoneDisk. I have a pretty large collection of Adobe DRM'd eBooks and I've been wanting to have them on the iPad - where the rest of my library is.

I do wish there was an integrated reader though so that I didn't have to remember which reader has which book, and before someone says caliber (which I really like and find useful) I really find it boring to spend time trying to move eBooks from one format to another and crack eBooks just to change the format to another reader. I assume that this jungle of formats and DRM will dissipate in maybe 5 years.
xristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #62
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Wayne,
Thank you so much for the kind words. It was a lot of work, and hearing comments like this makes it all worth while. Thanks for the suggestions too. I think they are all good ones, and I think you are likely to see much that in future versions.
-Micah
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:43 AM   #63
xristy
Connoisseur
xristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litter

Library organizing and searching, highlighting

I'm really liking BFR and now that I've loaded several hundred books - a mix of epub and pdf, DRM'd and not - it is clear that 2 Library features are paramount: 1) searching the library, by author or title words; and 2) organizing the library by folders or shelves or whatever metaphor is suitable. Also highlighting content is important as well as some notes facility. I no longer even have need of Txtr, Stanza or iBooks. Now I'm down to BFR, Goodreader and Kindle. Thanks for BRF!
xristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #64
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xristy View Post
I'm really liking BFR and now that I've loaded several hundred books - a mix of epub and pdf, DRM'd and not - it is clear that 2 Library features are paramount: 1) searching the library, by author or title words; and 2) organizing the library by folders or shelves or whatever metaphor is suitable. Also highlighting content is important as well as some notes facility. I no longer even have need of Txtr, Stanza or iBooks. Now I'm down to BFR, Goodreader and Kindle. Thanks for BRF!
Thanks for the suggestions. FYI, it does support notes and highlighting. in EPUB you tap/hold over a word until you get a magnifying glass, then you might need to "nudge" around to select a word. Then you can edit the selection by dragging the "lollipop" handles. In PDF, once you get the magnifying glass, you drag across the area you want to select. Yea, it is a drag (pardon the pun) that the two are different. Anyway, once you get a desired selection, you can "bookmark" the selection (or copy it if the publisher permissions allow) which will highlight the range, record a bookmark in the list, of which you can attach a note to.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #65
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Here's cool way to transfer books over wifi to your Bluefire Reader: Now before I say this, please keep in mind it is a "power feature" and we did not expose it in the app as networks can be so finicky and we were concerned about support issues. So let keep this to the "boards".

--If your ithing is on a wifi network with a computer, In Mobile Safari, type: "bluefirereader://nav/transfer" and follow the instructions.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #66
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
Here's cool way to transfer books over wifi to your Bluefire Reader: Now before I say this, please keep in mind it is a "power feature" and we did not expose it in the app as networks can be so finicky and we were concerned about support issues. So let keep this to the "boards".

--If your ithing is on a wifi network with a computer, In Mobile Safari, type: "bluefirereader://nav/transfer" and follow the instructions.
I expect there to be bugs. Please let me know if you find any, and also if you find this feature useful.
-Micah
Old 10-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #67
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Micah: In the Item info page, would it be possible to include the contents of <dc:description> from the metadata? This would allow the easy inclusion of jacket summaries, author bios, etc.

In terms of layout, I'd suggest putting that content below the 'Read' button, perhaps in a scrolling text field, as they can be lengthy.

EDIT:
And while you're at it, how about <dc:subject> as well? Of course, that leads to another way to present titles in the Library view, 'Category' or 'Genre'.

Last edited by GRiker; 10-14-2010 at 12:24 PM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #68
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Micah,
How a about doing the book transfer over wifi via Calibre and its server as one can do in Stanza?

cheers, Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #69
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
Hi Micah,

I'm really liking the new app and really appreciate the fact that you retain the page numbering from the epub file. The epub page numbers are very helpful when switching back and forth between my Sony reader and iPod touch.

Is there another way to go to a page other than using the page slider? Normally, I prefer to enter a page number instead of using a slider because it's more precise "go to" method for me (I seldom end up on the page I was shooting for when using a slider).

Thanks.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #70
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Micah: In the Item info page, would it be possible to include the contents of <dc:description> from the metadata? This would allow the easy inclusion of jacket summaries, author bios, etc.

In terms of layout, I'd suggest putting that content below the 'Read' button, perhaps in a scrolling text field, as they can be lengthy.

EDIT:
And while you're at it, how about <dc:subject> as well? Of course, that leads to another way to present titles in the Library view, 'Category' or 'Genre'.
I'm not that technical (I'm a UX guy really, as well as chief bottle washer) so forgive my ignorance. Are you referring to meta in the EPUB itself, or in the ODPS feed?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #71
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Micah,
How a about doing the book transfer over wifi via Calibre and its server as one can do in Stanza?

cheers, Howard
I would LOVE to have that feature. Must get stores live, dial in library lending, etc fist, but I'd hope to get there before too long.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #72
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtx99 View Post
Hi Micah,

I'm really liking the new app and really appreciate the fact that you retain the page numbering from the epub file. The epub page numbers are very helpful when switching back and forth between my Sony reader and iPod touch.

Is there another way to go to a page other than using the page slider? Normally, I prefer to enter a page number instead of using a slider because it's more precise "go to" method for me (I seldom end up on the page I was shooting for when using a slider).

Thanks.
We don't have that yet, but should. Note that we currently use the "page map" extension and synthetic page numbering when it is not there. I've hear that we should look at supporting page numbers in the NCX (a different method of including that data). Looking into that.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #73
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
I'm not that technical (I'm a UX guy really, as well as chief bottle washer) so forgive my ignorance. Are you referring to meta in the EPUB itself, or in the ODPS feed?
I meant displaying the metadata contained within the OPF file, which is part of the EPUB.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #74
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliovault View Post
Finally, our ebookstore has a smooth download for iPeople, all because of Bluefire Reader.

Thank you very VERY much, Micah and whoever else built Bluefire!

If you have an iPhone/iPod/iPad and Bluefire Reader, try requesting and downloading Chicago's October free ebook, using nothing but your iOS device the whole way, to see how much easier the direct link is.
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ebooks/free_ebook.html

Loving Little Egypt, by Thomas McMahon - it's a good read. File is scanned PDF (a bit big), and requires Adobe ID.

(Let me know if you hit any snags, please!)
Worked like a charm (once I figured out that I needed to get the download link via email).

PDF navigation seems a little balky, at least with this one, especially when I tried zooming in a bit (to try to trim margins).

BTW, I tried side-loading a B&N book to BFR (by copying the file from Nook4iOS's documents folder using iPhone Explorer), but it did not work (BFR politely refused to open it). ADE will not open it, either (gave a error message) - but I think it might be a step behind DRM-wise. I was able to open the file using Nook for PC, so there's nothing wrong with the file. Fortunately, I haven't actually bought any ebooks from B&N (and don't intend to) so this is a non issue for me. However, it is an annoying feature of the DRM terrain right now.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-14-2010 at 05:57 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #75
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Hmm. I downloaded a free book from Kobo, opened it in ADE successfully, then attempted to side-load it to the Kobo reader iPhone app (which explicitly supports File Sharing in iTunes). It refused to open it ('no NCX'). I also used iTunes File Sharing to add it to BFR's documents. BFR opens it!

I downloaded the same title directly to Kobo4iPhone and it opened. But it seems to insert extra, blank pages (at least in the first few I sampled). I've had it crash as well. And iTunes File Sharing seems not to work correctly (does not show me the books Kobo reader actually has on my iPod), though I was able to side-load a non-DRM ePub to it. Another reason to use BFR instead...

There doesn't seem to be any way to side-load ePub files of any kind to the Nook apps (PC, iPhone). They don't recognize anything without B&N flavor DRM. I don't have a Nook device, but presumably (?) it doesn't have this issue, and is back-compatible with previous Adobe DRM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote