Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
courton
courton began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
What am I doing wrong with my kindle in Aus?

What am I doing wrong with my Kindle?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an Aussie and keen to have access to American ebooks for my Kindle, I have tried to follow the threads and have done the following:

1. Set up separate gmail account (US setting) and gift card. Gifted kindle to someone else. Set up US address.
2. When I am on Amazon it does show American listing.
3. But when I try to download book onto kindle or PC for kindle using the 1 click method a message comes up saying you are doing this outside USA and if I wanted to change the country setting.

I have read and re-read al the thread and still can't figure out my mistake. Please help!!
As I am a person with basic computer skills, I am too scared to go down the getting rid of DRM route ...
courton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't really know the answer for sure, but does the thread you mention tell you to do anything to hide your ip? Like using something like http://www.hidemyass.com/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 03:32 AM   #3
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Hmm, check your 'one click' settings. Go to your account page and make sure your US address is listed in the address book as a delivery address. In the 'one click' settings page make sure your US delivery address is set as the default.

edit: One more thought, go to the Kindle page on the website and click on 'manage my kindle'. Go down to the country setting and change it to US.

Last edited by Curly; 05-29-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Sounds, Courton, like Amazon is trying to stick you with the $2-a-title loading on even US-registered devices and accounts being used out of the USA. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:22 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What makes you think you're doing anything wrong? You say that you are in Australia, so Amazon are perfectly correct in telling you that you're not in the USA, are they not?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
courton

Thank you for your helpful advice Curly. I checked everything you suggested, but I still keep getting the messages.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by courton View Post
What am I doing wrong with my Kindle?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an Aussie and keen to have access to American ebooks for my Kindle, I have tried to follow the threads and have done the following:

1. Set up separate gmail account (US setting) and gift card. Gifted kindle to someone else. Set up US address.
2. When I am on Amazon it does show American listing.
3. But when I try to download book onto kindle or PC for kindle using the 1 click method a message comes up saying you are doing this outside USA and if I wanted to change the country setting.

I have read and re-read al the thread and still can't figure out my mistake. Please help!!
As I am a person with basic computer skills, I am too scared to go down the getting rid of DRM route ...
Just an idea: Is the US address valid? I've read somewhere (never had that problem myself, for me in Germany with 2 US Kindles it has been working from day 1 and still is), they check the ZIP code. For example, they've asked me for the County ("are you inside or outside of xxx") because of different sets of taxes.
BTW: You don't need gift cards anymore. With the introduction of the international Kindles, Amazon started to accept any credit card (I use my German credit card for the US and sometimes UK), you only need the US billing address.

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-29-2010 at 09:47 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't really know the answer for sure, but does the thread you mention tell you to do anything to hide your ip? Like using something like http://www.hidemyass.com/
VPN is needed for B&N. But I've never done it with Amazon and never (for about 13 months now) have had any problems (German location, German credit card, US Kindles, US billing address).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
courton

The address is very real and if they check, can be verified. Tried VPN but still having the problem. Will not allow me to buy or even sample books until I call Amazon customer service to verify that I am still in the US or that I have changed country and want to change country of residence.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:11 AM   #10
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
You dont need a separate account. Go back to your original account and set up the US address there. Then, make sure your 1-click settings are set to that address so that your store is US Amazon.

You certainly dont need a VPN either.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:05 AM   #11
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Change your country setting in "my Kindle" to USA and that will fix the problem.

natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:27 AM   #12
courton

Have implemented every one's helpful ideas... still to no avail!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
If you have changed the country code in the my kindle settings and its still not working, email Kindle support and they will be back to you in a flash. Explain that you travel between both countries for work and how do you change the settings. They are pretty helpful.
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:45 AM   #14
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
This may work. Create a new administrator account in your operating system, and log in. Only use this account to buy US books with a US IP. As long as you never go to Amazon with your aussie IP from this account it should remain clean.

Last edited by pboss; 06-01-2010 at 04:54 AM.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #15
courton

Out of desperation (since trying all the helpful hints didn't work) I contacted Amazon Support. Told Support that we are between countries (travel often) and Amazon will not let us use the site (repeated messages to contact Support or change country settings). Well this is what happened. She wanted to know where the Kindle was sent to and where we are currently (albeit temporarily). When I said Australia, she insisted on changing the country settings to Australia and told me to test it by pulling down a sample. Of course, it worked since I was now only privy to the Australian Amazon site not the US site. I was told that even if we are in a country for two weeks we need to change the country setting -otherwise, we will not be able to pull down the ebooks!! What nonsense! The whole idea of kindles is that we can use it when we are travelling. Then she had the audacity to ask me if her advice was helpful?! I nearly spluttered out aloud. She did not solve the problem but made it worse in my eyes by blocking me from the US Amazon site. Is this the new Amazon Policy? Has anyone encountered this before and did I just encounter a supercilious customer support person?