Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #61
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I see comments that they are copying Oasis, and while there's only so many ways you can design these things, I'm not seeing the clone everyone else is. We haven't seen it yet other than this picture and I can already see small differences. There's not that horrible backing the Oasis has, and the bottom is curved. Having buttons is an asked for feature by many, and if this is Waterproof, that's not copying since Kobo did Waterproofing before Amazon with other devices. This looks like it would be in Landscape mode in default, which is a new twist. We shall see.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #62
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I see comments that they are copying Oasis, and while there's only so many ways you can design these things, I'm not seeing the clone everyone else is. We haven't seen it yet other than this picture and I can already see small differences. There's not that horrible backing the Oasis has, and the bottom is curved. Having buttons is an asked for feature by many, and if this is Waterproof, that's not copying since Kobo did Waterproofing before Amazon with other devices. This looks like it would be in Landscape mode in default, which is a new twist. We shall see.
I think by "clone" they meant the general shape and the buttons on one side with the device designed to flip over depending on which hand you're using. As far as I know the Oasis was unique in this design. If Amazon is like Apple they may have "form factor" patents. If Apple could sue Samsung for "rectangular with rounded corners" it would seem like Oasis is much more unique than that. Amazon hasn't shown any indication that they would sue over this sort of thing. I hope that holds true.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #63
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
If they were gonna copy Kindle, I wish they would have copied the page turn system on the Voyage and just made a larger version with comfort light.
i'm with you although i would have preferred roughly the same size as the Voyage.

page buttons on both sides on a ereader is my preference.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 09-30-2018 at 03:44 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #64
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
I don't find them alike, judging from the picture, i dislike oasis with the strange back side. but i kinda like curved button frame on the new kobo device. i kinda like overall look of the new device more than oasis. and i hope it will be about 7.8"
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #65
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I As far as I know the Oasis was unique in this design.
- PocketBook Inkpad 2 can be entered into the category (from afar) ?

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-30-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2018, 07:50 PM   #66
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
My wish would be for this display With the latest/fastest multi-core SOC.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #67
lkstrummer
Enthusiast
lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony Daily Edition PRS-950SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenk View Post
I don't have the time to do this accurately but we should be able to determine the size of the screen from the image.

The key is the size of the mini USB plug which is fairly clearly shown in the image, that is an object with a known size within a mm or so, from that someone should be able to determine the size of the screen roughly enough to say whether it is a mini, 6", 7" or 7.8" screen.

On my monitor the mini USB port in the image is 4mm and the screen length in the image is 85mm.

On my Kobo Aura the size of the real mini USB port is roughly 7.5mm.

7.5/4 is 1.875. 1.875 * 85mm is 159.4mm.

So my guess is the length of the screen is roughly 160mm which will make is a 7.8 inch display.

Can anyone get a more accurate estimate?

EDIT: Of course all of this depends upon that actually being a mini USB port, I could be wrong.

I've estimated the size at 181.5 mm vertical length. I used a pixel distance of 18 for the Micro-usb port and a pixel distance of 412 for the overall length.

I own both an Aura One and an Aura H2O. The USB ports on both are roughly 7.93 mm.

So, 18/412 = 7.93/X

X = 181.5 roughly

The official specs for the Aura One give its vertical length as 195.1 mm.

This device/ the Forma features visibly reduced vertical bezels, relative to the Aura One. Reduced enough to accommodate the 13.6 mm (.535 inch) reduction in height.

Therefore, I feel certain that this will be a 7.8" device
lkstrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:48 PM   #68
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
I guess so. I didn't realize there was another one like that. Thanks.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-01-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: fixed the quote
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:05 AM   #69
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstrummer View Post
I've estimated the size at 181.5 mm vertical length. I used a pixel distance of 18 for the Micro-usb port and a pixel distance of 412 for the overall length.

I own both an Aura One and an Aura H2O. The USB ports on both are roughly 7.93 mm.

So, 18/412 = 7.93/X

X = 181.5 roughly

The official specs for the Aura One give its vertical length as 195.1 mm.

This device/ the Forma features visibly reduced vertical bezels, relative to the Aura One. Reduced enough to accommodate the 13.6 mm (.535 inch) reduction in height.

Therefore, I feel certain that this will be a 7.8" device
I hope you're wrong, I'd really like a 10" Kobo :P
CH23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:58 AM   #70
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
I guess so. I didn't realize there was another one like that. Thanks.
The old Pocketbook 360 was perhaps the original buttons on one side ereader.

Last edited by lkmiller; 10-01-2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: formating
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #71
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
The old Pocketbook 360 was perhaps the original buttons on one side ereader.
The Rocketbook (2001-ish) had buttons on the side of the screen.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #72
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I hope the Kobo has the ambidextrous feature like the Oasis. Without it, the Kobo won't interest me. For me, the lack of buttons on both sides, and the lack of an easy way to do a next page is a show-stopper with the Kobo. If Kobo can't add it, then I hope community developers can add it. Otherwise I find the design rather pointless. They would be better putting the buttons on the bottom where both hands can easily reach them.

Really Kobo should do a voyage-style buttons on both side device and destroy the paperwhite, but like Amazon, they pushing buttons as a luxury only option.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #73
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wow, unless they somehow screw it up, I really want this. It's exactly what I need (even if the screen would still probably be a bit too small).
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #74
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The Rocketbook (2001-ish) had buttons on the side of the screen.
Oh yeah -- first E-ink one then?
Old 10-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #75
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I hope the Kobo has the ambidextrous feature like the Oasis. Without it, the Kobo won't interest me. For me, the lack of buttons on both sides, and the lack of an easy way to do a next page is a show-stopper with the Kobo. If Kobo can't add it, then I hope community developers can add it. Otherwise I find the design rather pointless. They would be better putting the buttons on the bottom where both hands can easily reach them.

Really Kobo should do a voyage-style buttons on both side device and destroy the paperwhite, but like Amazon, they pushing buttons as a luxury only option.
Since they show it in landscape mode, I imagine it will also flip to left-hand buttons. If not, that would be a deal breaker for me too.

Right now my favorite form factor device is the Nook 3, but I prefer the larger screen and software of my Kobo Aura One.