Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #1171
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The Saga of Pappy Gunn by George Churchill Kenney
Currently Free in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/Saga-Pappy-Ge...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Apache
Also free in UK and Canada

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Saga-Pappy-...dp/B0739GNXVW/

https://www.amazon.ca/Saga-Pappy-Geo...dp/B0739GNXVW/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #1172
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
The Saga of Pappy Gunn by George Churchill Kenney
Currently Free in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/Saga-Pappy-Ge...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Apache
Thanks for the post. Got it free in an earlier promotion. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

I thought that I was fairly conversant about WWII, but I didn't know who Gunn was until I saw the book previously and read about him in the Wikipedia article to learn more out about him . . . .

I had actually forgotten that he was a fighter ace, and about the rest of his combat exploits and success. Some people may enjoy reading about those.

The thing about him that stands out to me is the modifications that he made to the aircraft, that made them more versatile and, therefore, more effective. Many a very helpful innovation in WWII came about the same way--instead of trying to go through the layers of bureaucracy to get some modification to a piece of equipment approved, the men in the field just (probably against the rules) made the modification (an old saying is relevant here: "it's better to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission"), tried it out, and if it worked it seems that it got fast-tracked by the military to be standard equipment in subsequent production of whatever the equipment was.

BTW--"Pappy" Gunn shouldn't be confused with "Pappy" Boyington, the WWII ace whom the TV series Baa Baa Black Sheep, or something to that effect (you youngsters out there probably won't know what I'm talking about), was about. For one thing, I think that Gunn and Boyington were in two different branches of service in the military.

I noticed that the ratings of the book are stellar, and the book is a #1 seller in two or three categories at Amazon. It should be a good read. Now if only I had time to read it . . . .

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-20-2018 at 05:01 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #1173
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It is incredible how he was able to turn B-25 Mitchell Medium Bombers into heavy gunships. The fire power some of them could put out was amazing.
His medals: In addition to the DFC and eventual second award, Gunn was also awarded the Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Air Medal, 9 Purple Hearts, and WWII Victory Medal.
Nine purple hearts is truly amazing.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #1174
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is incredible how he was able to turn B-25 Mitchell Medium Bombers into heavy gunships. The fire power some of them could put out was amazing.
His medals: In addition to the DFC and eventual second award, Gunn was also awarded the Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Air Medal, 9 Purple Hearts, and WWII Victory Medal.
Nine purple hearts is truly amazing.
Apache
Wow. Especially for your last 2 paragraphs.

I read that he got shot down by a lopsided number of Japanese airplanes. A Japanese submarine picked him up, and he spent a year in a POW camp or prison. The Wikipedia article didn't have anything more to say about that, but it would be interesting to know what he had to go through for that year.

I need to read that book.

A little bit of a retraction: I remember reading, several years ago, about a guy who did successful modifications to the planes like that, but I couldn't have told you his name to save my life. I'm sure that it must have been Pappy Gunn.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-20-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:30 AM   #1175
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
So, I'm picking up Joan of Arc: A History at Amazon.com for $1.99.

I also see that a book I have previously read, 1066: The Hidden History in the Bayeux Tapestry is also going at the same price. THe latter, I enjoyed quite a bit, but it is definitely a history book, so know what you are getting yourself into.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #1176
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Charles River Editors, free

Ra: The History and Legacy of the Ancient Egyptian God of the Sun

The Rise of Constantinople: The Ancient History of the City that Became the Byzantine Empire’s Capital

Oregon Country: The History and Legacy of the Disputed Region and the Treaty that Led to Oregon’s Statehood

Horace Greeley: The Life and Legacy of 19th Century America’s Most Influential Edito

America’s Deadliest Hurricanes: The History of the Three Worst Hurricanes in American History

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...+river+editors
Just added Ra to my ereaderiq.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #1177
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Just added Ra to my ereaderiq.
Hail to the sun god
He sure is a fun god
Ra! Ra! Ra!
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #1178
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

England in the 17th Century: The History of England from King James I to the Glorious Revolution

Marcus Garvey: The Life and Legacy of the Jamaican Political Leader Who Championed Pan-Africanism

Max Planck: The Life and Legacy of the Influential German Physicist Who Pioneered Quantum Theory

https://www.amazon.con/s/?url=search...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...+river+editors
Old 10-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #1179
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
US typo
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #1180
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
Sorry to be so dense, but what is the U.S. typo to which you refer?

Interesting: the ancient Egyptians had the sun god Ra, but they also had a different god for the sun _disk_, which I think was "Aten." The rogue Pharaoh Akhenaten tried to change Egypt from polytheism to monotheism, with Aten being the only god.

Interesting, as well, is the Egyptians' fixation on the sun--they had two gods (at least) connected with it. But, when you think about it, it's not so strange. There were at least two essential things for ancient Egypt to have the enormous prosperity that it did--the annual flooding of the Nile River, depositing new, rich soil and, secondly, the sunshine.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-23-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #1181
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Sorry to be so dense, but what is the typo to which you refer?
You had typed amazon.coN rather than amazon.coM. Thanks for the post, though; I bought the books.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #1182
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
You had typed amazon.coN rather than amazon.coM. Thanks for the post, though; I bought the books.
The thanks go to Little.Egret.

I had trouble with the math: U.S. + very recent post + .con. ha

One reason that I didn't catch the error it is that I had already downloaded the books that he mentioned, before he mentioned them.

I'm working on a theory; time will tell if it is correct. It seems that the ebooks that Amazon/Charles River Editors feature below current freebies end up being the next batch of freebies.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-23-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:48 AM   #1183
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Hail to the sun god
He sure is a fun god
Ra! Ra! Ra!
Hahaha! I'm a sucker for an Ancient Egyptian setting.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #1184
Little.Egret
Wizard

William Lloyd Garrison: The Life and Legacy of 19th Century America’s Most Prominent Abolitionist

The Sino-Japanese Wars: The History and Legacy of the Early 20th Century Conflicts that Made Japan the Dominant Power in Asia

Niels Bohr: The Life and Legacy of the Influential Atomic Scientist

https://www.amazon.ca/?url=search-al...+river+editors
Old 10-30-2018, 10:39 PM   #1185
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Niels Bohr was Olivia Newton-John's maternal grandfather!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote