Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
Martin Marcel
Martin Marcel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX ?
Pdf to Mobi convenience ?

Kindle DX Mobi or else ?
Hello everyone !

I have a question concerning my (future) device - Kindle DX. Since I am not from US (Central Europe), but having a Kinlde DX in near future, I would appreciate if You guys could help me out with two things :

1. If I convert a (text-based) pdf file into a MOBI ore another format supported by Kindle by myself, will it be possible to use the options that are not available for pdf ? I mean especially : changing font size, marking, highlighting etc..

2. Is it possible to convert files into the Amazon format without Amazon, that is to AZW ?

Thank You and forgive me if I ask something trivial, as I am a newbie.. Bye !!
Martin Marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Marcel View Post
Kindle DX Mobi or else ?
1. If I convert a (text-based) pdf file into a MOBI ore another format supported by Kindle by myself, will it be possible to use the options that are not available for pdf ? I mean especially : changing font size, marking, highlighting etc..

2. Is it possible to convert files into the Amazon format without Amazon, that is to AZW ?
1. Yes. Convert the PDF to HTML, then you can edit it so that it will display text in any of the supported fonts and styles.

2. Yes. Use Calibre, a free program for Win/Mac/Linux. There is an excellent support forum here on mobileread.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Device: PRS-505
I'm currently working on a tool to convert PDF files to azw/mobi files. It'll rasterize the pages, automatically cut the pages for landscape view and thicken/darken the text for better reading on device.

It'll also keep the TOCs of PDFs and convert them to mobipocket TOCs.

Now the renderer is ready. Hopefully I'll have time to finish up the code and release the
program early next month.
DairyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote