Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
PocketBook's innovation – will Kindle/Kobo respond?

Not long ago PocketBook released a 10.3" eReader. In the last two weeks they've released a new bottom of the line eReader (with 212 ppi screen), a color eReader (at about $220) and now they're updating their mid-range (Paperwhite competitor) eReader to a dual core, warm light version (but wtth a 212 ppi screen). Now all their current 6" readers use the same case and all have page turn buttons. (And all the lower priced models still have microSD slots.)

I've got to believe that Amazon and Kobo will have to respond. I'm guessing they probably both have color readers in the works, but will the Paperwhite 5 get a warm light feature? At this point PocketBook has five reader models with warm lights (Kindle has one). I've already guessed the Kindle Basic will get a 212 ppi screen (to compete with Kobo's Nia).

What PocketBook needs to compete in the U.S. are English titles. Wouldn't it interesting if they partnered with Barnes & Noble to provide their variety of devices to Nook's bookstore — or maybe Nook could partner with PocketBook's Bookland to sell their books to a wider audience. I think that partnership could be beneficial to both companies.

Will the Touch Lux 5 be the only 212 ppi reader with warm lights? I can't think of any others.

Sorry to ramble.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I imagine that Amazon will produce a colour device only when they will be sure that it will be a really good device. And about the 10.3 Inkpad X I don't know if there will be a analogous Kindle. Some time ago there was Kindle DX so it is not so impossible that they produce a modern Kindle DX but let's consider that They also lack a 8" device, I think they should do it but if They don't do a larger device and They are Amazon (a commercial empire) They are right.

About Kobo they have been the first to introduce the temperature of light, for example, but about colour until now we have no news. May be that they also wait to see if the technology is really ready for the market. And again no news about a 10" screen.

Last edited by ps67; 07-28-2020 at 02:40 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I had a Kindle DXG. Even if they could make it much lighter in weight and reduce the overall size, keeping that large screen, and adding an even front light, it would be too big. I loved the DX for about a week. After some real world use, I changed my mind. It was just too big, line width was way too wide/long for long reading sessions.

Color e-ink holds zero interest for me. I don't care about front-light color adjustment. I don't need buttons.

My perfect reader would be 5" wide, the Oasis without page turn buttons, and 6½-7" tall. It would have one side bezel wider than the other, and auto-rotation for changing hands. Even screen front lighting, and much improved battery life.

It will be interesting to see if Amazon tries to get on this train. They may have learned their lesson about niche e-readers.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Not long ago PocketBook released a 10.3" eReader. In the last two weeks they've released a new bottom of the line eReader (with 212 ppi screen), a color eReader (at about $220) and now they're updating their mid-range (Paperwhite competitor) eReader to a dual core, warm light version (but wtth a 212 ppi screen). Now all their current 6" readers use the same case and all have page turn buttons. (And all the lower priced models still have microSD slots.)

I've got to believe that Amazon and Kobo will have to respond. I'm guessing they probably both have color readers in the works, but will the Paperwhite 5 get a warm light feature? At this point PocketBook has five reader models with warm lights (Kindle has one). I've already guessed the Kindle Basic will get a 212 ppi screen (to compete with Kobo's Nia).

What PocketBook needs to compete in the U.S. are English titles. Wouldn't it interesting if they partnered with Barnes & Noble to provide their variety of devices to Nook's bookstore — or maybe Nook could partner with PocketBook's Bookland to sell their books to a wider audience. I think that partnership could be beneficial to both companies.

Will the Touch Lux 5 be the only 212 ppi reader with warm lights? I can't think of any others.

Sorry to ramble.
In the uS, Pocketbook has partnered with Newegg.com. B&N is drowning with the nook mess and I cannot see them partnering with anyone else.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would not mind a color Kobo. But the screen has to be at least 7". 6" is so last year.
Advert
Old 07-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I don't really care about a colored e-ink screen. The cover being in color just isn't enough of a draw for me.

Maybe an e-ink tablet to read comics on. But then the color e-ink I've seen so far looks a bit faded and I already have my Surface.

Maybe I'm being myopic about the benefits that would come with a color screen. I'd be fine with being proven wrong. But for me, for now, no biggie.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
I imagine that Amazon will produce a colour device only when they will be sure that it will be a really good device. And about the 10.3 Inkpad X I don't know if there will be a analogous Kindle. Some time ago there was Kindle DX so it is not so impossible that they produce a modern Kindle DX but let's consider that They also lack a 8" device, I think they should do it but if They don't do a larger device and They are Amazon (a commercial empire) They are right. ...
I guess I was just impressed with how many eReader models PocketBook is currently offerering. I (personally) don't have any need for a color eReader or a 10" or (even) an 8" screen, but I like the fact that PocketBook offers it to those who do need or want those features. I also like the page turn buttons on every model, microSD on several models and the options for downloading eBooks directly to the device from just about any seller. That's a huge feature for me. PocketBook devices also seem to do a great job of displaying ePubs – though they don't have all the features Kobos have.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:22 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In the uS, Pocketbook has partnered with Newegg.com. B&N is drowning with the nook mess and I cannot see them partnering with anyone else.
You're probably right. I was just trying to see a path for PocketBook to sell readers in the U.S. What they really don't have is a good selection of English titles on their bookstore and – even though you can buy and download eBooks from anywhere using the built-in browser – there's no easy "store experience" when using a PocketBook in the U.S. So I thought, Nook still has a pretty big selection of ePubs available and PocketBook definitely needs access if they wanted to enter the U.S. market (which they probably have no intention of doing in a big way).
Old 07-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't really care about a colored e-ink screen. The cover being in color just isn't enough of a draw for me.

Maybe an e-ink tablet to read comics on. But then the color e-ink I've seen so far looks a bit faded and I already have my Surface.

Maybe I'm being myopic about the benefits that would come with a color screen. I'd be fine with being proven wrong. But for me, for now, no biggie.
I don't disagree with you on any point here, but there seems to be enthusiasm for color e-Ink screens and PocketBook is offering one. I think it's interesting that they went with a 6" model to start, I'm guessing because they could sell it (relatively) cheaply and it gives them a good way to test the market. And maybe the technology isn't quite up to snuff for bigger screens? If this color technology is strictly limited to 100 dpi, it would probably look pathetic on a bigger screen. (I'm even wondering how it will look on a 6" screen.)
Old 07-28-2020, 07:07 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I guess it's too soon to know if color e-ink will take off for ereaders but my guess is that it'll be tried for a while by manufacturers and then prove unpopular. The vast majority of readers read novels which don't benefit from color and the vast majority of those don't use e-ink. A lot of people read on their phones or on tablets. Most of those using ereaders are purist and they won't really care about color.

LCD and AMOLED is probably better for those books that really can use color such as comics, textbooks, magazines, etc.

I'd guess that color e-ink has a good future in signage and similar applications.

Personally I do most of my reading on my phone and I do it with the colors of my reading app set to white text on black.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Novels don't need colour.
Any eInk in colour other than a comic is never going to to compete with LCD/OLED.
Usually things that NEED colour also need 10" or larger screen too.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Any eInk in colour other than a comic is never going to to compete with LCD/OLED.
There are writing systems that use color:

https://omniglot.com/conscripts/colorscript.htm

(Color Script is a way of representing Portuguese with color blocks)
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #13
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
True, but for non fiction books with images like maps (or even fantasy with maps of some imaginary magic world) or pie chart or something similar I think that a good colour eInk could be interesting. And could be fine for coloured titles of chapters ecc. I don't say that it surely is good for me, I should try before, but I could give a chance to colour eInk.

I don't think to books of art or with important photos ecc because for this kind of book the resolution it is not good enough, saturation is not optimal ecc. For this kind of book pBook is the only choice for me because I don't like to read with a PC or tablet, phone ecc.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you are dyslexic, sometimes certain colors can help you read better. I've seen the case of green on black working to help.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are dyslexic, sometimes certain colors can help you read better. I've seen the case of green on black working to help.
A) while there is more evidence on that than the so called Open Dyslexic font, it's not proven yet.

B) A filter or glasses will work better than a compromise colour eInk.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote