Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
ilaria
ilaria began at the beginning.

Device: amazon kindle 3
Unhappy ePub to mobi (amazon) on a mac

Hi,

I bought a ePub book, I got a .acsm file. I opened it with Adobe Digital Editions, created the ePub (it worked I can read it there) and then moved it into my Calibre folder and imported it. I cannot read it, it says it's protected by ADE.

I tried to convert it into mobi and it gives me the same error.

I am using a mac 10.6. I cannot move the file on any other computer as the license is for one user only.

What else can i try?

Thanks so much for your help!!

ilaria
ilaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Many purchased books are encrypted using Adobe's Digital Rights Management system. Before you can convert it to the mobi format you have to remove the encryption. For various legal reasons, we don't discuss how to do that in these MobileRead forums. However, Apprentice Alf, whose exact whereabouts is unknown, can be found out on the blogs if you search for him. He is much more forthcoming...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaria View Post
I am using a mac 10.6. I cannot move the file on any other computer as the license is for one user only.

What else can i try?
To do what you want to do with the book you bought, you'll have to remove the DRM that's preventing Calibre converting the book to Mobipocket/Kindle format.

On a Mac, and using Calibre, you have two options.

(1) Find and install the Calibre plug-in that removes DRM from ePub files as they are imported into Calibre. Then delete the DRMed copy from Calibre and re-import your book into Calibre.

(2) Find the DeDRM AppleScript, on which you can just Drag&Drop your encrypted ePub to generate an unencrypted ePub. The import the de-drmed file into Calibre.

Once you have the de-drmed book in Calibre, by either method, Calire will happily convert it to Mobipocket format.

But since distributing de-drm software is illegal in the US, we can't give you a link to the software you need here. But I think the other reply gives you sufficient information to find it with a small amount of effort.

Note that it's possible that removing the DRM is illegal. Laws vary from country to country, and even in a single country can be confusing. For instance, it is legal (for the next couple of years or so) for you to remove the DRM in the USA, but only if you can't get ADE to read your book aloud, AND if there no other digital edition available that would let you get the book read aloud by software.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, mac os x, mobi