Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-05-2014, 04:23 AM   #23431
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
This will rather sooner than later go f*d up (as in unlucky falling or brittle health of the victim) having the idiots responsible for it facing a process because of manslaughter.
Will certainly make the game unpopular.
Well, the single incident (reported by the news) involving an elderly black man and some white thugs has been pulled up by the Justice Department to be tried as "a hate crime," but none of the other instances have any investigation really, as far as I know. The myriad videos that are uploaded to YT with young urban youths attacking city dwellers, both male and female, do not seem to have engendered any prosecution whatsoever.

I suspect that what will happen is that as this "catches on" in other cities, one of the thugs will get shot and killed, if they stalk the wrong person or are in a city that has an armed populace. Being tried for manslaughter certainly hasn't seemed to make a dent in that type of mindset. Being shot dead might. The cities in which this is currently popular don't allow their lawful citizens to carry guns, (NY, Chicago, Detroit), so the thugs are quite free about attacking people on busy streets.

Quite bluntly, I don't see what else police, who are by definition and function, reactive, can do about it. After all, they're not standing there. We've reached a point in history where being famous on YT for whacking an elderly man in the head is Warhol's 15 minutes of fame. If the cult of celebrity is producing this type of youth, similar to the bank robbers and other thugs of the late 19th century, then I assume that the populace will resort to what they did then: fix it themselves.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #23432
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
There are some smells that just set me off. Burnt electronics is one of those things. We have an electro technical store and this morning a customer came by to ask if his fried dimmer was repairable, which it wasn't so he decided to leave it with us so we can bring it to the recycling centre. Normally that smell makes me cough until I "quarantine" the offending gadget in a plastic bag. But today it also set off a sneezing fit. I discovered that a sneezing fit and a coughing fit don't go well together and will result in a very impressive nose bleed and a very raw and sore throat!
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #23433
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Ah, I know the smell well. Sorry it bothers you so much. I view it as the ultimate troubleshooting marker. Right up there with the smell a fried electric motor makes.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #23434
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
A magic smoke allergy
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #23435
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I suspect that what will happen is that as this "catches on" in other cities, one of the thugs will get shot and killed, if they stalk the wrong person or are in a city that has an armed populace. Being tried for manslaughter certainly hasn't seemed to make a dent in that type of mindset. Being shot dead might. The cities in which this is currently popular don't allow their lawful citizens to carry guns, (NY, Chicago, Detroit), so the thugs are quite free about attacking people on busy streets.

Oh, I'm sure it will catch on in cities that allow people to carry firearms, once someone who knocks a person out from behind discovers he also got a free gun out of the deal.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #23436
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Oh, I'm sure it will catch on in cities that allow people to carry firearms, once someone who knocks a person out from behind discovers he also got a free gun out of the deal.
Sure, if the thug assumes that on these crowded streets (which is where this is happening) are full of unarmed passers-by. In most cities that have concealed carry as a regular part of the culture, that's not the case, and the passers-by are part of the solution.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #23437
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
cats+cellphones+liquid=disaster
I have my phone in a bowl of rice, I'll give it a day *sigh*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #23438
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Give it several days. It's the only hope.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #23439
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Ugh poor phone
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:37 AM   #23440
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
KindleKitten - I have been saving silica packets. Want me to mail you what I have got?
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:42 AM   #23441
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
You can buy silica gel beads at any chemica supply shop for less than $10 a kilo. Reusable too. Just nuke 'em for 30-40 seconds. I picked up $1-Store pack of pantyhose, filled them, cut them up into small packets with rubber bands securing the openings. Got 'em in all my camera bags, electric gear, etc.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #23442
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
due to the nature of my business, I can't go several days without a phone unfortunately. I can hear the alerts for texts and emails coming in, but it still won't turn on. I guess there is a trip to the verizon store this afternoon *sigh*
Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 AM   #23443
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
cats+cellphones+liquid=disaster
I have my phone in a bowl of rice, I'll give it a day *sigh*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
due to the nature of my business, I can't go several days without a phone unfortunately. I can hear the alerts for texts and emails coming in, but it still won't turn on. I guess there is a trip to the verizon store this afternoon *sigh*

Have you taken it apart? Removed battery and card to help it all dry out.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #23444
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Have you taken it apart? Removed battery and card to help it all dry out.
it's one of the newer droids and the battery can't be removed. went into the verizon store yesterday, it is under warranty but I won't get it until tomorrow. it's still in a bowl of rice though. the alarm went off this morning and I couldn't turn it off. it now resides in the front hall powder room. *sigh*
Old 01-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #23445
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I fix phones for a living - have to say sadly that if water has gone in to the internals and if the battery wasn't removed, then the likelyhood of survival is essentially zero due to the corrosion. I get a lot of iPhones in where people have 'riced' them for a couple of days, but it's just too late.

The suggestion of the silica-gel is the better option, even crystal kitty litter can work.

The truly preferred option is that the phone gets stripped down, cleaned and dried in an appropriate kiln... or for Australian residents, just leaving it outside for half a day .

The bulk of the damage is done due to the presence of the battery.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness