Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #151
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Faith: I could never read classics as print books, but (most) are great as audiobooks!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #152
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Normally, I hate audiobooks but I decided to do a free trial with Audible. So I downloaded Sense and Sensibility this weekend and I have to say that I love it! I listen to it while driving or doing a chore. The narrator, Susannah Harker, is so good. She really makes each character sound different plus her reading is so lively without being over the top. I guess the advice here about having the right narrator was right on the money!
Now that you're an Audible member, be sure to take advantage of this promo:

BUY 4, GET $10

Quote:
Buy four audiobooks between April 1 and April 30, 2013, and you'll earn a $10 Listening Reward coupon.*

*You must purchase 4 or more audiobooks by April 30, 2013, at 11:59 PM ET (US). Audiobooks must have a regular price of $14.95 or more to be eligible for the 4 audiobook purchase minimum. Only Audible members are eligible for Listening Rewards. Limit one reward per customer. Your coupon will be placed in your account at the end of the promotional window, and no later than May 5, 2013. You will be notified by email when the coupon is available in your account. The coupon is good for audio content only and will expire on May 31, 2013.
You can easily reach that goal with free or very low cost classic Whispersync book pairs.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #153
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You can easily reach that goal with free or very low cost classic Whispersync book pairs.
Hmm???

Quote:
Audiobooks must have a regular price of $14.95 or more to be eligible for the 4 audiobook purchase minimum.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #154
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Hmm???
Many of those free and low cost Whispersync audiobooks have regular prices of $14.95 and up, and therefore qualify for this promo.

Remember; it's not based on what you pay, but rather what the regular price is.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #155
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Exactly, Tubemonkey! I used a couple of those, and a couple of low-priced non-Whispersync items to keep my average cost below $5.00 for the $10 credit.
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #156
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Exactly, Tubemonkey! I used a couple of those, and a couple of low-priced non-Whispersync items to keep my average cost below $5.00 for the $10 credit.
I bought four $0.99 Whispersync classics to get my $10 credit. As soon as I get it, I'm buying 10 more of them; netting me 14 audiobooks for $4.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #157
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I didn't want to buy stuff that I wasn't really interested in just because it was 99 cents -- maybe I'm just too picky, but I'd prefer to pay slightly more for stuff I know I'd like.
My $10 credit is intended for a book on my wishlist that's just too short (under 5 hours) to justify a credit or the full member price, but at $3 or so would be fine.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #158
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I didn't want to buy stuff that I wasn't really interested in just because it was 99 cents -- maybe I'm just too picky, but I'd prefer to pay slightly more for stuff I know I'd like.
My $10 credit is intended for a book on my wishlist that's just too short (under 5 hours) to justify a credit or the full member price, but at $3 or so would be fine.
Classics are precisely what I'm interested in, so this is a great offer for me
Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #159
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Can't stand audio books myself they go so slow compared to the speed I read at, I get very bored very quickly in fact I don't think I've ever got through the first chapter with one.
Exactly my sentiment! I can read a book in 4-5 hours that it takes 11-12 hours to listen to... I get very impatient with audio books. That said, I've listened to quite a few on return car trips from Toronto to Montréal as the 5-6 hour one way (10-12 hour return) trip is usually long enough for me to get to the end of the book. I find that I just cannot listen to audio books other than while driving. If it's not finished by the end of a trip, it's sheer agony to finish listening to it at home!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #160
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Exactly my sentiment! I can read a book in 4-5 hours that it takes 11-12 hours to listen to... I get very impatient with audio books. That said, I've listened to quite a few on return car trips from Toronto to Montréal as the 5-6 hour one way (10-12 hour return) trip is usually long enough for me to get to the end of the book. I find that I just cannot listen to audio books other than while driving. If it's not finished by the end of a trip, it's sheer agony to finish listening to it at home!
I continue to be a bit baffled by this sort of comment. The audiobook lets you read when you otherwise couldn't be reading, so even if it's slower than "real" reading, so what? The time invested is "found" time that is otherwise devoted to something else.

With an audiobook, I'm making supper, I can be reading. I'm cleaning the toilet, I can be reading. I'm at the supermarket, I can be reading. I'm watching a baseball game, I can be reading. I'm exercising, I can be reading.

I never thought I'd like audiobooks, but now I've become a big fan. It's fun to have someone reading to me.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #161
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
This might also be an issue of control. Your comment made me realize that, while I like reading and performing for others, I'm not so keen on sitting passively and listening (unless someone's onstage). I think of that as a failing and not a virtue on my part, but perhaps it has something to do with my frustration with audio books. Visual books leave all inner senses to the reader's discretion.

Have you ever known people who couldn't read the novel Perfume because they couldn't bear to smell that which was being described? ("I don't like living in my nostrils," an irked reader explained.) Perhaps audio books create similar issues for some of us.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #162
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
This might also be an issue of control. Your comment made me realize that, while I like reading and performing for others, I'm not so keen on sitting passively and listening (unless someone's onstage). I think of that as a failing and not a virtue on my part, but perhaps it has something to do with my frustration with audio books. Visual books leave all inner senses to the reader's discretion.
Yes, this is a legitimate issue, and part of me feels like I'm cheating when listening to an audiobook. It really isn't reading. I wouldn't rely on an audiobook for anything I needed to truly absorb and understand; I retain information much better when I see the words. But for my choice of material--old favorites revisited, familiar classics, mystery and suspense--listening while doing something else works just fine.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #163
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
If it's not finished by the end of a trip, it's sheer agony to finish listening to it at home!
I can't (usually) just sit and listen, but have to be doing something else, like cleaning.

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 04-26-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #164
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've given audiobooks a few trials and it really is not for me. I've tried them in various situations (sitting around during lunch at work, home, while cleaning, while doing stuff, etc), but in all cases i couldn't focus or retain much of the story/information.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 AM   #165
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I do use audiobooks mostly for 'low priority' reads that don't require a lot of focus: plot-driven fantasy series, mainly. It gives me a chance to enjoy stuff I might never pick up in text form, like all the Harry Dresden books and Brandon Sanderson's work.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote