Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #31
c123
c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Lightbulb Using language.content in Kobereader.sqlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by raincloud View Post
my Kobo Glo decides which dictionary to use by looking at both the Glo's default language and the language of the book. i noticed that the Glo correctly determines the dictionary to use if the language of the book is in lowercase. Unfortunately, each book's language is stored in the Glo's database and can't be changed easily. If the language for your book is in lowercase, it chooses that dictionary (so 'pt' would choose the Portuguese dictionary, but 'PT' will choose the dictionary of the Glo's default language, which in my case is English).

to fix this, you need to open the Glo's database in sqlite3 and update the language for the book to be lowercase. the database is at /.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite. Look at the language column of the content table.
Hi

Happy new owner of an Aura, I'm looking to use my reader to bring my German back up to scratch. So a German-English dictionary is essential :)

Like bebop, I find getting to the translation dictionary tedious. So I just did a quick test - logged into the Kobereader.sqlite database on my Aura and executed a simple query to change the language type of the few German books I have from 'de' to 'de-en' in the hope that the translation dictionary opens up first instead of the German dictionary :)

Unfortunately it did not - German dictionary still opens up, and to get to a translation I have to tap a few times :(

Any ideas? I like this approach, and it's trivial to do - but at the moment does not work for me. If this is a dead end, I will have to think about either renaming the dictionaries or creating a merged de+de-en dictionary.
c123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #32
jallan44
jallan44 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Going on a french immersion trip in 4 weeks (so excited!). However. I would like to be able to have my French books translate into English, rather than having to go through the tedious step of changing the dictionary each time.

I've tried the steps in this thread (renaming), and it still has not worked. Neither has merging the dictionaries. Does anyone have a file that they could share or any alternative methods?

thanks
jallan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #33
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallan44 View Post
I've tried the steps in this thread (renaming), and it still has not worked.
I guess you swapped the filenames of dicthtml-fr.zip and dicthtml-fr-en.zip. What happened then? Didn't you see any difference? Did you power circle the reader after renaming the files?

Quote:
Neither has merging the dictionaries.
dicthtml-fr.zip is an encrypted dictionary. Therefore, you cannot merge it (unless you know the key). In some older versions of the firmware this dictionary was not encrypted, but it contained many errors that have been corrected since then.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #34
jallan44

Power circle? you mean restart. Yes I did swap the files to no avail.

Thanks for the reply
Old 04-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #35
arasyi
Zealot
arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
deleted

Last edited by arasyi; 04-08-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: wrong thread
arasyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #36
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes I did swap the files to no avail.
I just tried it (FW 3.2.0). It worked immediately.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #37
jallan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I just tried it (FW 3.2.0). It worked immediately.
Do you think you could upload your dict folder with it working?
Old 04-09-2014, 04:27 AM   #38
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Do you think you could upload your dict folder with it working?
Here you are!
Attached Files
File Type: zip dict.zip (7.50 MB, 117 views)
Old 04-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #39
jallan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Here you are!
thank you. I apologize for the late reply. My kobo broke and I just recieved my refurb. I uploaded your file. Still the default dictionary is set to English. so I still have to select "francais" each time in order to get a translation.

Is there anyway around this? thanks
Old 04-16-2014, 04:02 AM   #40
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I uploaded your file. Still the default dictionary is set to English. so I still have to select "francais" each time in order to get a translation.
Maybe I did not understand correctly your initial problem. I thought your default dictionary for French books was the French definition dictionary (as is the default), and that you would like to see the French-English translation dictionary instead. This should be doable by swapping the file names. And this part it seems actually worked on your device.
But now the problem seems that the default dictionary is English instead of French. Maybe this was the real problem from the beginning. I see two possibilities:
  • Your book is not recognized as French language book. Look at the language information in the metadata block of the package.opf (or similar) file and change it if necessary.
  • The French dictionary wasn't correctly installed from the beginning. Reinstall the original French and French-English dictionaries via the Manage Dictionaries menu. And only after this has worked, that means the French definition dictionary should be the default dictionary for French language books, swap the filenames.