Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
Lorphos
Librie lab rat
Lorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with others

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
Thumbs up Kindle 4.0.1 password tool webpage

Hi,

some people had problems with installing python and running the script so
I converted the python script that is floating around in these forums to JavaScript. If you need to calculate your Kindle's root password and it is running firmware 4.0.1, just go to
http://members.ping.de/~sven/kindle.html

The calculation is done completely in your browser, your kindle's serial number is not transferred anywhere.

Perhaps someone can add this link to one of the sticky threads here?
Anyway, enjoy!
Lorphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
This is nice when you have web access but no access to password tools, and even then it is convenient.

This works on my K4NT and Touch, but on my kindle DX, DXG, and my K3G and K3 wifi, the root password only has 3 hex digits after fiona. I need to leave off the last digit from the calculated password.

I confirmed that by using John the Ripper to crack the /etc/shadow password, and it was 3 hex digits as well.

On some kindles, the diag uses root:mario instead of root:fionaXXXX.

Also, you may be able to use framework:mario instead of root:fionaXXXX if you do not have access to the password tools or the web page.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-30-2011 at 08:03 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Lorphos
Librie lab rat
Lorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with others

OK, so for older Kindles that don't use the "mario" password, it uses the same password but without the last letter? What firmware do these Kindles use?
I just joined the whole Kindle hacking community when I ordered my Kindle 4, i.e. a few weeks ago.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My K3 units now have firmware version 3.3, but the previous version also used 3 hex digits.

My DX and DXG have firmware version 2.5.8, but the the previous version also used 3 hex digits.

Sir Alex's KDT adds an extra digit that I must remove for the root password on my older kindles.

My newer K4NT and Touch use 4 hex digits. Booting into diagnostics mode on the newer kindles uses a different password than the normal root password.

So, it appears that what root password you need depends on which model of kindle, and on which version of firmware is installed on it, and on which partition you boot from (main mmcblk0p1, or diag mmclbk0p2).

There is not a one-size-fits-all solution for finding the correct root password.

Perhaps your javascript web page should give all three (first try 4 hex digits fionoXXXX, then try mario, then try 3 hex digits fionaXXX), with an emergency alternative (user framework, password mario).

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-30-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Lorphos
Librie lab rat

I updated the page http://members.ping.de/~sven/kindle.html to also display the passwords for older kindle devices.
Let me know if there is a problem.
If you like it, hit the karma button

Last edited by Lorphos; 01-26-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorphos View Post
I updated the page http://members.ping.de/~sven/kindle.html to also display the passwords for older kindle devices.
Let me know if there is a problem.
If you like it, hit the karma button
The web page could use another update. All passwords are 8 characters or less, such as fionaXXX (3 hex digits). Extra characters are ignored. The XXX are hex digits 8-10 of the md5sum of your kindle serial number. You can type fionaXXXhello instead of fionaXXXX, and it will work as well fionaXXX after the login code discards the extra characters.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-13-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
geekmaster

You web page for calculating kindle root passwords shows mario for 4.0, and fionaXXXX (4 hex digits) for 4.0.1.

I have two K4 devices. The first one came with 4.0 and used a fionaXXX (3 hex digits) password. The second one came with 4.0.1 and used mario for the root password.

My experience is the opposite of what your web page indicates.

Also, passwords are only 8 characters (fionaXXX). On the K3 and earlier, extra characters would fail password authentication. K4 and Touch also use 8 characters (fionaXXX) just like the K3, but extra characters are ignored.

So there is no such thing as a "fionaXXXX" password. All known kindles use framework:mario, and either root:mario or root:fionaXXX (3 hex digits), and the mario root password does not depend on the firmware version (as shipped, or after a firmware update).

Part of what caused this confusion was that the Sir Alex Kindle Diagnostic Tool (KDT) reports fionaXXXX (4 hex digits). I suspect that in some cases (such as serial port login), the K3 and earlier also ignore extra hex digits on the password, so the extra hex digit did not cause serial port logins to fail like they do on SSH logins. The extra hex digit confusion may be why the K3 SSH hack skips login authentication.

UPDATE: This only applies to original default passwords, which use 8-character DES encryption. Any passwords changed with the "passwd" command use MD5 encryption that hashes all the password characters.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-13-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Tags
kindle, password, root