Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #16
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
Sure. I do know for a fact that I can currently use GMail from my K2. I use it all the time.

Maybe it's a glitch in the update... I would report this to Amazon's Kindle Support.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #17
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
Sure. I do know for a fact that I can currently use GMail from my K2. I use it all the time.

Maybe it's a glitch in the update... I would report this to Amazon's Kindle Support.
and you have the latest firmware?
have you tried it since you updated?

EDIT: oops, yeah- gmail works fine. I'll try the yahoo again.
yahoo is horrible anyway. don't know why anyone uses it anymore. well, except for spam and the like.

Last edited by bZkindle; 03-12-2011 at 12:06 AM.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #18
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
well I just tried to log into yahoo mobile mail and get the exact result of the OP.
gmail doesn't seem to work either.
I do know for a fact gmail worked before because I have used it.

Oops. lol I have 2.5.7

Should I upgrade to see if it still works? ...not sure if I should.

EDIT: I upgraded to 2.5.8 on my K2, and.... YES! It works.
Whoa, I was worried it wouldn't.

It works in GMail's "mobile" mode (http://mail.google.com/mail/x/) and "basic html" mode (http://mail.google.com/mail/h/)

It works fine for me.

I even sent two emails to myself from my Kindle and was able to view them on my Kindle. One was sent via mobile mode and one was sent via basic html mode

(By basic html, I mean gmail's basic html mode, not the Kindle's basic html mode, which I also assume would work)

Last edited by chyron8472; 03-12-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #19
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oops. lol I have 2.5.7

haha! guess what? I don't have 2.5.8 installed either. thought I installed that one. too many kindles!

Maybe they don't work then?
Still, just pointing at the yahoo mobile mail page brings back an error with 2.5.7. (I don't know how he ever visited there if that's the case.)
you can try that. If you want to check your gmail, maybe you shouldn't update?
Me. I don't care. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

EDIT TO YOUR EDIT: well that's good news. I'm kinda worried about this link problem he's talking about too but could you try pointing it at yahoo mail maybe. just to see?

Last edited by bZkindle; 03-12-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #20
bZkindle
Fanatic

yep. i updated too.
the gmail work fine. the same as it's always worked.
the yahoo works too but not through the mobile page (which brings up the error in the OP's ss. it did for me in 2.5.7 as well)
when you go through the regular ymail page it brings up a message saying 'the all new yahoo mail isn't compatible with your browser'.
click at the bottom where it says 'proceed to classic mail'.
and you're in...

Last edited by bZkindle; 03-12-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #21
chyron8472
Groupie

Quote:
I'm kinda worried about this link problem he's talking about too but could you try pointing it at yahoo mail maybe. just to see?
In a word: No.

Yes I just tried it. No it doesn't work.

In a nut shell, what his screenies show, as I've found, is:

He is trying to get to his YahooMail from Yahoo's mobile main page (m.yahoo.com) which does work... and clicking on the Mail link there, which doesn't. I have tried this.

I believe he is also trying to go straight to the mobile YahooMail page (m.yahoo.com/mail) but that doesn't work.

I went to the standard YahooMail login page on my Kindle, which does work, though it complained at me about incompatible browsers and had a link to Yahoo Mail Classic, which also worked. I then figured "hey, I'm logged in and told it to remember me, so I'll try going to the mobile mail page and see if the mobile version of the login screen was the problem so I can maybe bypass it" and that did not work.

...so, the verdict is that I can get to Yahoo Mail in Classic mode, though on my K2, the side menu options take up so much screen real estate that I didn't bother to mess with it much. I can't get to Yahoo's Mobile Mail page, but I can get to the main Yahoo Mobile page where news and stuff is.

I did not try this using Kindle fw ver. 2.5.7, but you did and you said it didn't work then either. However, I can confirm getting Gmail to work in either firmware version.

I haven't tried other websites yet. Hopefully it's a problem with Yahoo, and not the Kindle.
EDIT: actually, since you say you just now realized you're using 2.5.7 and had already tried getting to YahooMail but can't, it's not a problem created by the update as neither I nor you can get there.

Last edited by chyron8472; 03-12-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:10 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In other words, it's behaving as it always has, and has absolutely nothing to do with the firmware update?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #23
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
Quote:
er, do you mean that the DXG update killed the ability of opening links meant to open in a new browser window?
also that you could do that on the k3?
I thought that was an issue with the k3.
or perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?
YES, ok.

Links on some webs not run OK. (and this is running on 2010)...

uncomfortable writing many urls...

K3 said (not multiple windows support)

but Kindle DX G do that on 2010-08 ~ 12.

After this, not

does not work, but it did. (I remember it well and agreed to links opened another window with the KDXg...
KRorschachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #24
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
You can't access YahooMail on your DXG?

There is a mobile version of YahooMail at: http://m.yahoo.com/mail

Why don't you use that?

btw, I got that link from Kinstant ( http://www.kinstant.com ), which has quite a number of links to mobile versions of websites, including fields in which you can Kindle-friendly-ize whatever site you want.

It even works with Google News (I just put news.google.com in one of the custom fields and it worked fine.)
OK, i will try this now... thanks you.

but I remember it worked right google.news a few months or weeks.

hopefully it works ... I would be very grateful....
Old 03-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #25
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
Oops. lol I have 2.5.7

EDIT: I upgraded to 2.5.8 on my K2, and.... YES! It works.
Whoa, I was worried it wouldn't.

It works in GMail's "mobile" mode (http://mail.google.com/mail/x/) and "basic html" mode (http://mail.google.com/mail/h/)

It works fine for me.

I even sent two emails to myself from my Kindle and was able to view them on my Kindle. One was sent via mobile mode and one was sent via basic html mode

(By basic html, I mean gmail's basic html mode, not the Kindle's basic html mode, which I also assume would work)

Yes, I already said that gmail works, more or less ...

but can not access links that open another window supposedly is a blunder, the solution is simple to copy the link in the address bar or ram and close the previous window. (in any case remains in the cache)

disable this option is to try to limit access ...

making a device more awkward ... I think I found a link where yahoo mail works.

the problem is https (if it's there, nothing at all, BUT BEFORE THAT was not so that ...
Old 03-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #26
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:

He is trying to get to his YahooMail from Yahoo's mobile main page (m.yahoo.com) which does work... and clicking on the Mail link there, which doesn't. I have tried this.

I believe he is also trying to go straight to the mobile YahooMail page (m.yahoo.com/mail) but that doesn't work.

I went to the standard YahooMail login page on my Kindle, which does work, though it complained at me about incompatible browsers and had a link to Yahoo Mail Classic, which also worked. I then figured "hey, I'm logged in and told it to remember me, so I'll try going to the mobile mail page and see if the mobile version of the login screen was the problem so I can maybe bypass it" and that did not work.

...so, the verdict is that I can get to Yahoo Mail in Classic mode, though on my K2, the side menu options take up so much screen real estate that I didn't bother to mess with it much. I can't get to Yahoo's Mobile Mail page, but I can get to the main Yahoo Mobile page where news and stuff is.

I did not try this using Kindle fw ver. 2.5.7, but you did and you said it didn't work then either. However, I can confirm getting Gmail to work in either firmware version.

I haven't tried other websites yet. Hopefully it's a problem with Yahoo, and not the Kindle.
EDIT: actually, since you say you just now realized you're using 2.5.7 and had already tried getting to YahooMail but can't, it's not a problem created by the update as neither I nor you can get there.

Well, I had the version 2.5.5 and if I could actually keep Bond in bookmarks, then there is the option to error in the address.

try to enter the same way as always and was closed.

OK, now there is another, but can not be https: / /

if so, crash. (see capture)

https: is safer, though.

In any case, remember that before this, with the 2.5.5 note a change in the permit.

At first, select the links google.news, WORKS prefect.

from 2011-01 and no access to links that open another window.

it is profoundly awkward and uncomfortable. and limits and many navigation options.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #27
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:

Well, I had the version 2.5.5 and if I could actually keep linksave on bookmarks, then there is not posible the option to error in the address.

try to enter the same way as always and was closed.

OK, now there is another, more basic..., but can not be https: / /

if so, crash. (see capture)

https: is safer mode access, though.

In any case, remember that before this, with the 2.5.4 note a change in the permit of navigation....

At first, select the links google.news, WORKS prefect.

from 2011-01 and no access to links that open another window.
(and on Kindle 3 closed, if kindle dx g can run that links, why closed it after? on more powerfull hardware ?)

it is profoundly awkward and uncomfortable. and limits and many navigation options.

Last edited by KRorschachZ; 03-12-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:00 AM   #28
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In other words, it's behaving as it always has, and has absolutely nothing to do with the firmware update?
I would not be so sure.

I think the first options were changed.

I think the best is the 2.5.4 bios.

from there, I have seen strange things ...

see previous posts ...

Greetings

PS: if it is perceived that the file management is better that before and 0.7 ram free, and load have 800 documents was already slow.

Now I have 900 files installed and is slightly faster in the management of menus.

(but one thing does not justify the other)

By the way, kindle 3 is a marvel of navigation via wifi and 3G.

(ok, other hardware, ok)

but other operating systems installed in the Kindle DX G, obviously with the same hardware, show that we can do something more decent options PDF ...

Greetings.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Links that open a new browser window (or tab) have never worked on a Kindle browser, to my knowledge.

The developer forum is full of discussions -- and pleas for a workaround -- about it. This issue has been around long before the 2.5.8 update.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #30
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Links that open a new browser window (or tab) have never worked on a Kindle browser, to my knowledge.

The developer forum is full of discussions -- and pleas for a workaround -- about it. This issue has been around long before the 2.5.8 update.

OK, it is also possible to change was do google.news him links to open another window, html code, but that this was not the correct standard.

I seem to recall that at the beginning, in August 2010. it worked.

I think it could work on improving basic but decent browser.

My old psp with less ram and less hardware has 3 windows navigation ... with a worse browser ...

yes, I'd say that being aware of the 2.5.4 to 2.5.5 (someone changed or amazon or google)

I think my laptop, a link on that page always opened another window...

only then is xamazon who change options.

On the yahoo mail. ok ... now we can be accessed via: "us.mail ..."

BUT BEFORE I saw the entire browser screen with the options of mail ..

elegy basic-mode way and agreed to a window very similar image pc, not something so tacky and basic as now.

And the custom options for zoom and view pdf halves, would also be nice, so as to change the contrast level on documents.

basic things that run on that hardware with minor programming changes.

and a DX kindle wireless wifi+g with 8 GB would not be bad too...

bye.

Last edited by KRorschachZ; 03-12-2011 at 07:20 AM.